Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#42859 - 03/12/05 10:27 AM Re: G70 Arrived But
Peter Lowden Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
I have never had a problem with OT threads on any of the forums especially when it relates to comparing different brands and models. This is your forum to use as you want to. If I thought OT threads were getting out of hand and taking over a forum then I might suggest they move to more appropriate forum but one thread about Roland arrangers by an ex-Technics owner really isn't a problem for me. It is very valid discussion to hear how a different keyboard compares to the Technics that it was changed for and why the change was made.

Many thanks for the much needed clarification, this should stop future disruptions about off topic protests, and the inevitable heated exchanges these protests provoke. Hoping Tony will read this statement and now re-join the thread / discussion he started.

Kind regards

Peter

[This message has been edited by Peter Lowden (edited 03-12-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Peter Lowden (edited 03-12-2005).]

#42860 - 03/12/05 04:19 PM Re: G70 Arrived But
tony harbour Offline

Loc: wilts,england
Hi Thankyou Nigel for clarifying that this thread topic is OK hi gain to Peter Fran et al .

In answer to Jonny Gunnar - the fill ins - you select variation 1 2 3 or 4 and you can play the fill ins associated with that variation as many times as you like by clicking the same button (to fill in to different variation click different button ) .

I have noticed the sound through headphones to my ears is excellent - quite a cut off when hearing through logitech speakers but still pretty good .

Re Organ sounds - To my ears - Technics is better on theatre church pipe organ sounds
but Roland has better range of Hammond type sounds .

Re styles Fran says they sound similar to previous models - can't comment as i have never had a previous Roland model - have to agree somewhat about Roland styles being geared a bit towards 80s/90s/2000 - but i am a bit younger than some mebers (39) so suits my ears . Having said that it can do some good realistic backings for Shadows / Beatles sounds etc and Pink Panther / Jazz solo piano is pretty darn good .

Cheers

Tony

[This message has been edited by tony harbour (edited 03-12-2005).]

[This message has been edited by tony harbour (edited 03-12-2005).]

#42861 - 03/12/05 10:42 PM Re: G70 Arrived But
Peter Lowden Offline

Loc: England
Great to have you onboard again Tony.

One thing that keeps being mentioned is that some of the styles are on the bland side, even in the G70 review it gives mention to this, although in fairness it also says the good styles outweigh the poor ones!

When comparing the styles of the G70 Tony to those of the KN7000 which are brilliant, have you noticed them to be on the bland side? or would you say overall they are as good?

Kind regards

Peter

#42862 - 03/13/05 02:22 PM Re: G70 Arrived But
Marilyn Boissoneault Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Florida, USA
Tony, glad you are still going to be posting your observations on the Roland G70.

I've always been a fan of Roland Styles. They tend to get carried away sometimes on the Intro's and Ending's.....some in the past went on forever. To my taste though, I like their styles a lot. I have heard some of the G70 styles that were converted to Yamaha and tweaked and they sounded great. I haven't tried the ones converted to Technic's yet.

I'm curious to see the G70 when our local dealer gets one in. I didn't like the sounds on the VA7 very well. I felt like the Technic sounds were miles ahead there for the most part. I have never liked their organ sounds out of the box, so I'm especially interested in how the are with the new (V) technology.

Anyway, it will be fun to check out! I hope you enjoy yours. Not sure I'll be changing even if I do like it. I guess never say never though.

I guess I should mention I'm a former Roland fan, I've had an E30, E70, E86, E500, E600 and an VA7 in the past. I always considered Roland to be the best.....then I found a Technic's 6000 and "WOW". So got that, and then traded to the KN7000. I like my 7000 a lot so it would take a lot before I'd want to trade it.

Marilyn

[This message has been edited by Marilyn Boissoneault (edited 03-13-2005).]

#42863 - 03/14/05 03:50 AM Re: G70 Arrived But
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tony,

Happy to see you back. Keyboard comparisons are a necessary part of any keyboard forum. It keeps the reader up to date on the newest technology. Do we not make comparisons in our every day shopping. Members that are not interested in these posts can skip them.

My neighbor Marilyn, and I think the same.
Something better than the 7000 may come along. Until then I intend to keep mine. Maybe add another brand. But not as many as Bebop has in his stable

Fran in Florida

#42864 - 03/14/05 04:35 AM Re: G70 Arrived But
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Hi Tony.

Well, nice to see that Nigel clarifies even more what already been
said all the way during the posts in this tread.

Then it's not possible to choose i.e. fill 1 if you're playing var.
3 and fill 3 if you're playing var. 1.
As I read it, the fills are a kind of "glued" to the variation you
play at the monent, one upwards, and one downwards.
But are there any options to i.e. separate the individual fills so
you can use them regardless to what variation you're playing, i.e.
by use of composer and memorybuttons?

GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#42865 - 03/14/05 08:56 AM Re: G70 Arrived But
BlkNotes Offline

Hello;

I'm a little confused about this fill-in issue. If I understand corretly with each variation one can only play 3 fills. ( the original , as well as one up & one down)?
I note in the Roland literature that they state there are 6 fill-ins. Are the intros and ending limited this way as well? ( in the literature it states 4 intros + 4 endings )

Also a quesiton about Musical assistant. It is similar to the Yamaha & Korg musical? A style that matches a particular song will all the present contained such as instruments, tempo etc..?

I believe it contains 500 songs? Are they labeled with real song names, or the made-up type?

Any info on the vcal harmonizer? Is it better then Kors ( TC helicon) i.e. does it sound close to real human harmoy vs. sounding like a computer?

Regards;
BN

#42866 - 03/21/05 07:59 PM Re: G70 Arrived But
tony harbour Offline

Loc: wilts,england
Top of the morning to everyone - it's now 3.26am so i should be in bed - just finished working on me website thought i'd take a sneaky peaky ...

re bland styles - you could look at it that way - the variation 1 especially is very uncomplicated Roland starts with a basic pattern - it might for instance be a strumming guitar only ! that goes for the intro to on that variation - might be for instance just 1 beat variation 4 - is the full 8 parts in many cases . One thing i found is the balance knob needs to my ears tuning below mid way to have more arranger and less of keyboard - else the keyboard is too much in ya face . I am finding the styles to my liking in many cases - it is pretty hard to find the right style but once found i like the build up from var 1 up to 4 .

Re 6 fill ins - seems to be 4 as follow

fillin 1 activated twice - on variation1 hit multiple times and also on go up from variation 1 to variation2

same rule for fillins 2-4

the other 2 fillins - you asked !

one is going down from variation 2 to variation 1 the other i think was going down from variation 4 to 3

The fillins do seem to work pretty well .

There are btw as you say 4 intros endings you can also do a rit on any ending (slows the ending pattern down ) and as with technics they do different intro endings depending on whether chord is a minor or major - but only on variation 4 i think .

The music assistant has names that are meaningful in many cases - or though some draw a blank with me - but probably because i'm not that knowledgable - eg: A whiter shade of pale is something like - can't remember of hand but it is logical something like 'whiter shade pale' or similar - that can usually be located using the alphabetical search

Re vocal harmoniser - i don't date use it my vocals are best kept for in the bath - i have tried it - it can make you / me sound like i'm down a well or also like pinky and perky - but as for any good - i have no idea

I am off to get some shut eye now before dawn breaks and it gets too light to sleep !

[This message has been edited by tony harbour (edited 03-21-2005).]

#42867 - 03/22/05 03:13 AM Re: G70 Arrived But
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Thanks for the report.
here you'll find quite a lot of "new" styles
for the G70 as well:
http://www.technote.com/productdetails.asp?prodid=10687&returnto=/products.asp?catid=&tree=

GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#42868 - 03/22/05 05:14 AM Re: G70 Arrived But
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tony,

Thanks for the info. Good report.

Fran in Florida

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online