SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#428291 - 01/30/17 05:36 AM MIC DROP
organgrinder Offline

Loc: ft. lauderdale, florida
Does anyone else cringe when this crazy mic drop thing at the end
of a speech pops it's ugly head up. The disregard for a working entertainer's valuable and expensive mics and equipment just makes
my skin crawl. What dumbell ever started this. If this ever happens
to me i can almost say I would go crazy. People see this on TV and think it is alright.

mel

#428292 - 01/30/17 06:01 AM Re: MIC DROP [Re: organgrinder]
124 Offline

smile Those that do this obviously don't have to shell out of their own pockets. It's just dumb, anyway.

#428294 - 01/30/17 07:23 AM Re: MIC DROP [Re: organgrinder]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I don't think it happens when its someones personal property but in a situation of a theatre or backline company who can absorb the cost of a mic. Probably a $100 SM58. I think it was Chris Rock who first did it at the end of a show and even with that it was a damn funny show.
What really gets me is recently guys trashing keyboards. Over on the Keyboard Corner forum there was a long discussion about a keyboard player throwing over a vintage Vox Continental and it was BORROWED !!! Owner wrote no real damage was done and he forgave him. Better man then me.
Recently on Saturday Night Live the player in the band first stood on and then threw over a Hammond B3. Some one posted it was an A100 in a beat up B case that belonged to the player. Still made the guy look like a total a**.
I go back to the days of the WHO trashing their instruments and its always made me mad. How many players (me included back then) would of loved to be able to get their hands on such gear.
The only story I like is Jerry Lee setting fire to a Baby Grand at a college show. He asked for an old beat up upright but they gave him the Baby Grand. Scene was featured in the movie "Great Balls of Fire"
He did write out a check for it after the show. I'll give him a pass, just because.

#428299 - 01/30/17 09:20 AM Re: MIC DROP [Re: Bill Lewis]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Bill, I have a better Jerry Lee story. In 1961 I was playing a place in Lexington that hosted traveling groups...Jerry Lee, The McCoys, B.J. Thomas, etc....people on the way up or on the way down. Most played Saturday in Chicago and the following Friday in Atlanta. Lexington was the low budget stop-off. The group got a bed, food, LOTS of booze and committed to having the name player and a performance which was a loose association of house guys and band members.

At 15, I tried to hold things together on these Wednesday night "free for alls".

I was the only sober person. I taught players their parts and played whatever was left....bass, guitar, B-3, piano; even sometimes mandolin, banjo, etc.).

Lewis set the house piano on fire, using a can of lighter fluid. The piano was old, and easily extinguished with a large rag...in fact, I think the whole thing was planned.

What wasn't planned was a lady who was slid between her partners legs and part of fashionable dance. She howled like a banshee! She was on a part of the floor where she picked up massive slivers...I'm talking about 1/4"x 10" pieces of flooring in her ASS!! The EMT's were called and she was hauled away to the hospital.

Move forward about 20 years. I was at a really unique Italian restaurant in a Cave that had gone uncovered for many years. this place was HOT! The snooty little wife of the owner was, you guessed it.....SPLINTER GIRL!

She passed away from Alzheimer's a while ago. But every time I hear Jerry Lewis' name I laugh my ass off.

Russ (OUCH) Lay

#428301 - 01/30/17 09:33 AM Re: MIC DROP [Re: organgrinder]
Bill Lewis Offline

Great story Russ. Maybe we should start a thread on funny gig stories.
BTW did you get to play with or meet Jerry Lee ??

Edited by Bill Lewis (01/30/17 09:33 AM)

#428302 - 01/30/17 09:43 AM Re: MIC DROP [Re: captain Russ]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By captain Russ
Bill, I have a better Jerry Lee story. In 1961 I was playing a place in Lexington that hosted traveling groups...Jerry Lee, The McCoys, B.J. Thomas, etc....people on the way up or on the way down. Most played Saturday in Chicago and the following Friday in Atlanta. Lexington was the low budget stop-off. The group got a bed, food, LOTS of booze and committed to having the name player and a performance which was a loose association of house guys and band members.

At 15, I tried to hold things together on these Wednesday night "free for alls".

I was the only sober person. I taught players their parts and played whatever was left....bass, guitar, B-3, piano; even sometimes mandolin, banjo, etc.).

Lewis set the house piano on fire, using a can of lighter fluid. The piano was old, and easily extinguished with a large rag...in fact, I think the whole thing was planned.

What wasn't planned was a lady who was slid between her partners legs and part of fashionable dance. She howled like a banshee! She was on a part of the floor where she picked up massive slivers...I'm talking about 1/4"x 10" pieces of flooring in her ASS!! The EMT's were called and she was hauled away to the hospital.

Move forward about 20 years. I was at a really unique Italian restaurant in a Cave that had gone uncovered for many years. this place was HOT! The snooty little wife of the owner was, you guessed it.....SPLINTER GIRL!

She passed away from Alzheimer's a while ago. But every time I hear Jerry Lewis' name I laugh my ass off.

Russ (OUCH) Lay

Great story Russ, if you ever decide to write a book with your lifes storie(s) i will be the first one to buy it...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#428310 - 01/30/17 12:30 PM Re: MIC DROP [Re: Bill Lewis]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Yes, Bill, I played with all the traveling bands...B. J. Thomas, Lewis, The McCoys (Hang on Sloopy) and many others at this little club. I put it all together. At 15, I drove the bus, because no-one else was straight enough to do it. I had a license from Mississippi, where the age was 14.

All these guys traveled with a 6 channel Vocal Master, a tape Echoplex, a 6 wheel truck with a cover and a station wagon for the players. The truck was generally a Ford 350 with 150,000 miles on it.

R.

P.S. Jimmy Swaggert, Lewis' cousin was on several trips and played piano better than him (sober, I guess).

#428312 - 01/30/17 01:33 PM Re: MIC DROP [Re: organgrinder]
Bill Lewis Offline

Great memories. What a way to grow into the business. Someday write that book I'll buy the second copy.

Edited by Bill Lewis (01/30/17 01:34 PM)

#428315 - 01/30/17 03:47 PM Re: MIC DROP [Re: organgrinder]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
WAY back, my band opened a show at the Legion in Nowata, OK, for Jerry Lee. It was sponsored by a radio station in Tulsa and we played a lot for their blowouts. The place was packed, maybe a thousand people in a place designed for 500. Jerry Lee got halfway through the first song, stopped the band and proceeded to first break a leg off the stool then beat the piano to pieces with it, all the time cussing it for being out of tune.
The crowd boo-ed him as he left the stage, giving them the finger. They called us back up and we did three more hours and nobody left or demanded their money back. Heck, where else were they going to go in Nowata Oklahoma on a Saturday night? By the time we finished I'm sure Jerry was half way to Mississippi! No, we didn't get his money, but they did pay us quite a bit extra for saving the show!

#428317 - 01/30/17 04:03 PM Re: MIC DROP [Re: organgrinder]
Bill Lewis Offline

I knew Jerry Lee was off the wall and that's one of the reasons I like him but that story is over the top. I think he would sound better on a out of tune honky tonk sounding piano.
Imagine the stories his band could tell ? I'd buy that book too.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online