SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#427716 - 11/15/16 04:29 PM What does what you play say about you?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
This is sort of an aside to Donny's question about playing. Do we simply play whatever people want to hear, or are we saying something about ourselves when we play?

R.

#427717 - 11/15/16 04:43 PM Re: What does what you play say about you? [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I always play what THEY want to hear - that's why they hired me in the first place. Of course, much of the music my audiences enjoy hearing, I also enjoy playing. I'm playing for their entertainment - not mine. I'm not there to make a statement about myself - I'm there to entertain my audiences.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#427718 - 11/15/16 04:58 PM Re: What does what you play say about you? [Re: captain Russ]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
rotf2 Today I played an assisted living facility. I took a chance and told them today I am taking requests and asked what they would like to hear. They couldn't think of anything. So...back to my originally scheduled program where they proceeded to clap and sing.
Eddie

#427719 - 11/15/16 05:53 PM Re: What does what you play say about you? [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
smile

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#427720 - 11/15/16 06:30 PM Re: What does what you play say about you? [Re: travlin'easy]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
What Gary said. I have nearly 4000 songs in my collection but probably use only about 100 of them at any time. It gets rather boring to be truthful but like Gary said, I am there to play what they want to hear, not entertain myself. That said, I use three different keyboards, PA4X, SD7, and a Tyros 4 for gigs, and that keeps me entertained as well - something a bit different even with the same songs.

Deane

#427726 - 11/16/16 02:58 AM Re: What does what you play say about you? [Re: captain Russ]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I play what I want, but it made up of the best songs ever written for that era. I then play to my age group and all is well,

#427732 - 11/16/16 08:32 AM Re: What does what you play say about you? [Re: Bernie9]
captain Russ Offline

I've always thought that I have a duty to educate. I play places where people there would appreciate something a little different. I play most requests (not all...no Bill Anderson or Buffet-UGH). I play quietly...I don't interrupt conversations. That's the cost of being able to play 50% of what I want to play.

These places are also where the people who can use my company productions hang out. That's how I got an international manufacturer of vehicles as a client, who spends $250,000.00 annually with me and has for many years.

I've had many people ask the origin of some of my material and come back to say that they are now listening to that music.

Of course, I'm definitely NOT an entertainer. If I were, the major thing I would want to do is play what the people want to hear.

I feel the world is a better place after being exposed to the work of Leon Russell (RIP), LeGrand, Jobim, Boz Skaggs and the like.

Everyone plays for their own reason(s). This is mine.

Russ

#427733 - 11/16/16 08:53 AM Re: What does what you play say about you? [Re: captain Russ]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By: captain Russ
I've always thought that I have a duty to educate. I play places where people there would appreciate something a little different. I play most requests (not all...no Bill Anderson or Buffet-UGH). I play quietly...I don't interrupt conversations. That's the cost of being able to play 50% of what I want to play.

These places are also where the people who can use my company productions hang out. That's how I got an international manufacturer of vehicles as a client, who spends $250,000.00 annually with me and has for many years.

I've had many people ask the origin of some of my material and come back to say that they are now listening to that music.

Of course, I'm definitely NOT an entertainer. If I were, the major thing I would want to do is play what the people want to hear.

I feel the world is a better place after being exposed to the work of Leon Russell (RIP), LeGrand, Jobim, Boz Skaggs and the like.

Everyone plays for their own reason(s). This is mine.

Russ

Don't knock JB:
https://www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,1671738,1671808

Net worth $400 million. I guess not everyone agrees with you Russ. smile

#427734 - 11/16/16 09:17 AM Re: What does what you play say about you? [Re: captain Russ]
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I like to expose the audience to new music or different renditions of tunes they are familiar with. Popular songs are cool & definitely need to be played, I just want them to sound "Stevie Style"....Otherwise why play at all?

I am the Artist & my goal is to paint a picture to invoke thought.....

#427737 - 11/16/16 09:53 AM Re: What does what you play say about you? [Re: Steve A]
captain Russ Offline

Don, most people don't agree with me. That's fine. I wouldn't play that stuff for the entire $400 million net worth.

Ya gotta draw a line in the sand, and this is where I draw it.

I'm willing to pay the consequences, although I get lots of jobs at better places because the majority of folks looking for work can't play much else.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

R.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online