SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#427456 - 11/02/16 09:12 AM Sitting or standing on stage?
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I play acoustic guitar & keys as a solo performer. I can play acoustic guitar alone, keys alone, use full Arranger function, or sequence a tune on the keyboard & add live acoustic as shown in this picture....Sitting down is more comfortable & adds continuity to how my workflow is...

I have 2 guitars on stage as well.....

[url=[URL=http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/Alinaaltonian/media/Picture%20Singing%20at%20Church.jpg.html][/url]]On stage set up[/url]

#427459 - 11/02/16 10:10 AM Re: Sitting or standing on stage? [Re: Steve A]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Steve, we do a similar show, you and I, but I found that standing helps my vocal ease, and looks better in situations where there is not an actual stage ... which is A LOT of my venues. I no longer need to carry 2 guitars, since putting an (LR Baggs) piezo bridge in my Strat. The thinner body makes it very comfy to hold, even while standing at the KB. When I do the dueling piano thing, we both sit, and it's ok for a night, but my regular comfort zone is up on all 2s!

#427465 - 11/02/16 11:24 AM Re: Sitting or standing on stage? [Re: Steve A]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
When I was relatively young, like UD, I would stand and play guitars and sing. Then, after a year or two, my back told me to sit on a high stool and play and sing, which made life a lot easier, and no one in my audiences cared one way or another.

When I switched to an arranger keyboard, I tried standing, but that got old pretty darned quick, so I again opted for a relatively high stool, one with a back rest and foot rest and everything was adjustable. Life was good again, and remained that way for decades to come. smile

Now, whether you stand or sit has no bearing on professionalism - none whatsoever. Some of the best players and singers, both piano and guitar sat while they played and sang. Among them were Liberace, Jerry Lee, Fats Domino, Harry Belefonte, etc... - the list of pros is endless.

Now, some singers, such as UD, are power singers, they use lots of lung capacity when they sing, especially the higher notes near the top of their range. For them, standing allows them to access every bit of usable lung volume. In my case, I was never a power singer, therefore, I can sing just as well while sitting as I can standing. The same is true with Don Mason, Eddie Shoemaker (Btweengigs),and when they were alive, Joe Ayala, Hank Bowman, Bob Lee and Jimmy McKinney (Jim Sax) just to name a few.

My point is, if you are comfortable standing while playing and singing for 3 to 4 hours, by all means stand. However, if after 4 hours your feet hurt, your back hurts, and you feel somewhat exhausted, then sitting is the best option.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#427466 - 11/02/16 11:48 AM Re: Sitting or standing on stage? [Re: travlin'easy]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Many different opinions.

When I was a guitar player / singer, I had to stand – I lost feeling and movement when I was sitting. My voice was also stronger when standing; more room for breathing.

With keyboard it was always a sitting. If I raised the keyboard even with my elbow (piano position) the stand was too high. If there is music on a stand and keys in front sitting is just fine. You need room for moving around the keyboard and freedom for your feet. (Pedals?)

John C.

#427467 - 11/02/16 12:11 PM Re: Sitting or standing on stage? [Re: bruno123]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I stand when I play stringed instruments with a band, use a stool when I play guitar as a solo, and use the piano bench when I alternate guitar and keys. In a duo, I play a double neck with bass and guitar, plus pedals, sitting on a stool, adjusted to the bass pedals. I play bass until solo time. Then, I switch to pedals and play lead on the guitar neck. I use a Stienberger headless guitar sometimes, and play guitar and organ pedals on a B-3.

Works for me!

R.

#427468 - 11/02/16 12:11 PM Re: Sitting or standing on stage? [Re: Steve A]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
I stand to play, sing, and play trumpet. I'm also one part of a duo and she is a singer. So, we both stand... unless it's a long gig. Our normal gig is 30-45 minute show. No. need to sit. A wedding reception, different story. Sitting or standing, it doesn't matter as long as you do what is best for your gig!!

Plus, I'm 43 and she is 38... we are still young and intend to stay young with a 3 year old in the house!!
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#427471 - 11/02/16 01:26 PM Re: Sitting or standing on stage? [Re: shueymusic]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I stand for almost all gigs ... this past summer I did a two hour show with a guitar player with no breaks ... For a 3 or 4 hour gig I use a Throne stool set high so I'm leaning more than sitting ... I like standing for better audience visibility ...

#427474 - 11/02/16 03:15 PM Re: Sitting or standing on stage? [Re: tony mads usa]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
... I like standing for better audience visibility ...

That's my #1 reason. But, you know me - it's always about the audience first, anyway!

#427475 - 11/02/16 03:28 PM Re: Sitting or standing on stage? [Re: Steve A]
Dnj Offline

Sit always for me using a kb, ...... Dj stand and sing, ...

#427476 - 11/02/16 06:47 PM Re: Sitting or standing on stage? [Re: Dnj]
Eric, B Online   content

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
I am with Donny, since I am using 3 foot pedals.
Sitting KB, standing DJ

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online