SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#426267 - 09/17/16 05:00 PM Nigel..ordered a mandoguitar from Eastwood!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Nigel, check out the Eastwood site. They "crowd fund" instruments. I have several, including an Airline copy of the Harmony H-78 I played during college (also played today by a top pop group everyone but me knows).

They are now making a mandoguitar like the one Miles Davis' guitar player used to play. It was made in 1975, and is sort of a guitar that looks like a mandolin, but is the size and sound of a L/P. Mini-humbuckers...semi-hollow.

Can't wait for it. Ships in October!

R.

PS. Also just got a Roland 40 watt stereo chorus. Monster little clean amp. the original 120 was played by everyone from Three Dog Night to George Benson.

The new one is stereo in...great for keyboards!

MORE TOYS!

Russ

#426273 - 09/17/16 11:17 PM Re: Nigel..ordered a mandoguitar from Eastwood! [Re: captain Russ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Sounds like a great instrument to play. And the Roland amp will be fun too.

#426847 - 10/09/16 03:20 PM Re: Nigel..ordered a mandoguitar from Eastwood! [Re: captain Russ]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Also just got a Roland 40 watt stereo chorus.

JC-40?
I got one too! (earlier this year) - best chorus tone on the market, and light weight! I run stereo in from my TC VL-3, and the panned delays sound fantastic!

#426876 - 10/11/16 10:00 AM Re: Nigel..ordered a mandoguitar from Eastwood! [Re: Uncle Dave]
captain Russ Offline

That's it! Also have an old 120 Jazz Chorus. This is lighter, with much better effects and true stereo in, this ones much better. The old ones have a hiss that's hard to control.

Also added a neat Quilter head and some neat effects. Mostly, I play a Jazz Kat Fat Cat, a small Mark or a Hendrickson for jazz jobs. Choice depends on the material. Added a Kustom 15 watt tube head, a Kustom 5 watt tube head, an Orange 15 watter
and a Super Champ Head. Have the original Super champ (1984?), and the 2007 reissue. Main group amp today is a new Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Main jazz guitar for outside jobs is a Gretsch 100 with a floater. Inside it's a D'Angelico. For fusion jobs, it's a new George Benson Ibanez.

FUN STUFF!

R.

Edited by captain Russ (10/11/16 10:03 AM)

#426926 - 10/12/16 09:22 PM Re: Nigel..ordered a mandoguitar from Eastwood! [Re: captain Russ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I have been playing through a Fender Hotrod Deluxe for the past 18 years. A fantastic tube amp. The first one I bought in 1998 was still sounding great in 2013. But as I store it in the garage and we live 5 houses from the beach it started to have some obvious rust. The only problem I had was the volume control wasn't so senstive when I turned it low. So I decided it was time to sell it while it was still sounding good. I took it to my local Guitar Center and they offered me $200 for it. Seeing that I had used it for 15 years and only paid $420 back then for it I figured that $220 was amazing value for 15 years of live use.

So I decided to look for a new amp to replace it figuring options had probably changed since 1998. I tried other tube combo amps such as Vox ,Marshall, Mesa Boogie and Blackstar. But I wasn't very impressed. But the clean channel on the Mesa Boogie actually was very good. But playing in a classic rock band the lead channel was important too. But the lead channel was far too compressed. The only time I gigged with it I used the clean channel all night with pedals. So I decided to return it and kept searching.

My next stop was an Egnator 30 watt Rebel. The clean sound was the best I have ever heard. Made my Stratocaster sound like a jumbo acoustic. Stunning sound. Plus I liked the lead channel a lot too.It has both 6V6 and EL84 power tubes and you can set the blend of the 2 set of power tubes to mix between USA and British sounds. On top of that the wattage was variable from 1 watt to 30 watt. Unbelievable !!!! So I bought it on special. But the first gig I used it it was outstanding for the first 2 sets. Near the end of the 3rd set the lead channel cut out. I plugged into the clean channel that was working fine so I finished the set playing through that. At the end of the set I powered down and it worked fine for the last set. When I got home I looked up the reviews on it on the Guitar Center website. Two other people had the same problem but of course when they sent their amp to approved techs the problem did not reoccur in the shop. But my amp must be reliable so I returned it sad to say cos I loved that amp. My wife said, why don't you buy a new version of the amp you had before. She is a very wise woman. I went back to the store, tried the Fender Hotrod Deluxe MKII and bought it it. She was right. When I hear the Egnator Rebel 30 is now reliable I will then buy one of those too.

#427090 - 10/18/16 12:01 PM Re: Nigel..ordered a mandoguitar from Eastwood! [Re: Nigel]
captain Russ Offline

I have an old blackface super I use often, but my favorite combo if weight is not a problem is a 75 Bassman, a Kustom 2 12 Cabinet with, believe it or not, Peavey Black Widows.

For line out general jobs, it's the little 84 Super Champ lined out to the PA.

For pure jazz jobs, it's the Jazz Kat Fat Cat or the Hendrickson.

Neat stuff!

R.

#427111 - 10/19/16 11:50 AM Re: Nigel..ordered a mandoguitar from Eastwood! [Re: captain Russ]
captain Russ Offline

Eastman just emailed...guitars are done, but shipment is delayed until late in November.

BUMMER!

Russ

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online