Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#425412 - 08/29/16 06:12 AM Building a Backing Track on BK9
Dnj Offline

#425419 - 08/29/16 10:23 AM Re: Building a Backing Track on BK9 [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Donny
Thanks for posting. Thats another area I've yet to work with on the BK9. That player makes it look easy although I couldn't do the drum tracks like him.
Question for anyone who knows the BK9. Would those tracks he recorded be used like a Style or a non-stop Sequence where you would have to peogram your Mark jump buttons.

Fran --- Please get one so you can be the expert on the BK9 here !! G70's gotts be gettin heavy by now.

#425420 - 08/29/16 10:51 AM Re: Building a Backing Track on BK9 [Re: Dnj]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Roland are up to something September 9th.

Look like Roland going to do some live stream to present new stuff.
Piano & keyboards links at the bottom of the page.
http://tfr.roland.com/global/products

(Link copied from a post at Roland-Arranger site)
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#425421 - 08/29/16 10:52 AM Re: Building a Backing Track on BK9 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
Donny
Thanks for posting. Thats another area I've yet to work with on the BK9. That player makes it look easy although I couldn't do the drum tracks like him.
Question for anyone who knows the BK9. Would those tracks he recorded be used like a Style or a non-stop Sequence where you would have to peogram your Mark jump buttons.

Fran --- Please get one so you can be the expert on the BK9 here !! G70's gotts be gettin heavy by now.

Bill I would assume that sequenced multi-track recording is a backing track to play on top of not a style per-say and give you the exact arrangement you want vs a repetitious style
that said,....style creation could also be achieved but would be a different process altogether....

Edited by Dnj (08/29/16 10:54 AM)

#425424 - 08/29/16 03:03 PM Re: Building a Backing Track on BK9 [Re: Bill Lewis]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Thats another area I've yet to work with on the BK9. That player makes it look easy although I couldn't do the drum tracks like him.

Hi Bill,
as far as I can tell, that guy recorded that full sequence live. Wow.
We used to have a guy come into the music store back 20 years ago, he actually recorded backing sequences for sale. Watched him demo how he constructed them on a workstation. The drums, literally on the fly, like that guy did. Truly amazing talent.

Personally, I could never do it, but if I wanted a backing tracked, possibly a couple of options.
Find a style as close as possible for the backing track I want, even if it's only the drums .
( For me I'm not that good , I 'd probably need drums , bass, guitar, piano.)
Record it into the sequencer using that style.
Then record additional tracks in realtime like strings and melody, brass whatever.

If it's only the drums that you weren't comfortable with and there was no style available that suited, maybe consider doing small sections of the drums ie 4 bars or something and use a copy function to paste it to the rest of the bars for the verse, record another 4 for the chorus, fills etc . Build it up that way.
Then record the rest of the tracks in realtime over the top.

Most keyboards have pretty good sequencer recording and editing functions.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#425440 - 08/30/16 06:35 AM Re: Building a Backing Track on BK9 [Re: rikkisbears]
Bill Lewis Offline

Thanks Rikki
Good idea I'll have to give it a try I'd really like to learn how to make custom Styles for specific songs. I like Style play best and edit them a ton but some are still not right on.

#425441 - 08/30/16 06:59 AM Re: Building a Backing Track on BK9 [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Bill,...The first manufacturer to make the style assembly process as simple as a copy, paste, mix, & match, process so very easy for everyone to do will soar into the Top of the Heap as far as arranger sales will go for sure as since style play is the driving force behind an arranger KB but it's last place in feature functionality for the actual pro or home player to do easily by themselves to create styles the way THEY WANT THEM TO SOUND.

Edited by Dnj (08/30/16 07:04 AM)

#425448 - 08/30/16 08:28 AM Re: Building a Backing Track on BK9 [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

I'm guessing we all want the same thing. Too bad, it seems like something that wouldn't be so hard to incorporate in a keyboard.
Your right, I think a lot of players wold jump on it.

#425470 - 08/30/16 03:51 PM Re: Building a Backing Track on BK9 [Re: Bill Lewis]
rikkisbears Offline

Thanks Rikki
Good idea I'll have to give it a try I'd really like to learn how to make custom Styles for specific songs. I like Style play best and edit them a ton but some are still not right on.

Hi Bill,
sorry, do you mean your edits don't play back correctly?
or
the style you edit for a particular song, doesn't really suit that well in the first place?

Me for instance, I can only convert or edit an existing style. I personally don't think I could record a style from scratch .
I know how to do it, I know what notes are allowable, I know the settings required to make a style play back correctly etc etc all to do with the mechanics of the recording
but
I don't know what rhythm a bass should be playing or the drums or the piano, I need to hear it first, hence I can only put a style together from bits and pieces and do a bit of editing. I lack the musical know how, I can't play by ear, I have to read everything I play.
Unlike this guy I mentioned, he could record a backing track from scratch , and it sounded just like the original song.

If you know what you want musically, the mechanics of recording a style can be learnt ie settings, notes allowable etc

Edited by rikkisbears (08/30/16 03:56 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#425471 - 08/30/16 04:03 PM Re: Building a Backing Track on BK9 [Re: Dnj]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Bill,...The first manufacturer to make the style assembly process as simple as a copy, paste, mix, & match, process so very easy for everyone to do will soar into the Top of the Heap as far as arranger sales will go for sure as since style play is the driving force behind an arranger KB but it's last place in feature functionality for the actual pro or home player to do easily by themselves to create styles the way THEY WANT THEM TO SOUND.

Hi Donny,
the korg is pretty close to it. I do a lot of copying of style parts.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online