SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#425271 - 08/26/16 07:52 AM Best controller to use with vArranger2 & why?
Dnj Offline

Looking at this program & was wondering best controller to use with vArranger2 & your PC & why?

Edited by Dnj (08/26/16 08:03 AM)

#425275 - 08/26/16 09:08 AM Re: Best controller to use with vArranger2 & why? [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Looking at this program & was wondering best controller to use with vArranger2 & your PC & why?

I think i saw the best results from moesioers using a Motif XF as controller and soundsource...

I think Dan himself was using a Novation SL mk2 himself for quite some time...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#425276 - 08/26/16 09:19 AM Re: Best controller to use with vArranger2 & why? [Re: Dnj]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Not bought the software yet, but I do hope the 2nd hand Akai MPK Pro 61 I spent some money on some weeks ago will do
fine if I deside to try out vArranger2. In fact, to try vArranger is the only reason I bought it ....
Anyway, there is no demoversions, and it looks like every time it's a softwareupdate, you have to ask for it at the forum.
But as far as I can see at his forum, Dan give great support. smile
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#425277 - 08/26/16 09:21 AM Re: Best controller to use with vArranger2 & why? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Right now Im considering the Novation Impulse 49 or MK II 49

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0f4KlxzI8g

Edited by Dnj (08/26/16 09:31 AM)

#425282 - 08/26/16 11:44 AM Re: Best controller to use with vArranger2 & why? [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Best ask Dann what comtrollers are supported with feedback, so the light in a button lights up when a function is activated..

He allways answers all questions asked there on a daily base...

#425284 - 08/26/16 11:56 AM Re: Best controller to use with vArranger2 & why? [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bachus

Best ask Dann what comtrollers are supported with feedback, so the light in a button lights up when a function is activated..

He allways answers all questions asked there on a daily base...

Thanx Bachus shot an email this morning to Dan awaiting a replay as we speak..anyone else here on SZ using Varranger2? Also I would assume you can use a DAW sound source with arranger styles.sty etc,.. vs a stand alone unit like SD2...?

Edited by Dnj (08/26/16 11:57 AM)

#425302 - 08/26/16 10:08 PM Re: Best controller to use with vArranger2 & why? [Re: Dnj]
Torch Offline

How about this one?
http://www.m-audio.com/products/view/ctrl49

It comes with a bundle of nice apps and sounds.

Edited by Torch (08/26/16 10:14 PM)
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#425304 - 08/26/16 10:57 PM Re: Best controller to use with vArranger2 & why? [Re: Dnj]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Donny,
I haven't got mine up and running again as yet ( too busy with my other toy at the moment)
But I did ask Dan about sound choice

SD2 / SD1000 any GM synth your VST, your Soundfonts

or our SoundBanks and more to come....

Apparently there are 4 sound banks they 've created, korg, Roland , Ketron Yamaha , they are an extra though, not part of varranger package.

Personally if I was starting over, I wouldn't dash out and buy the sd2, it was the only option 5 years ago , from memory.

I would imagine if I got serious about it again, I'd probably go for his sound banks

Have a chat to him, he's very helpful.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#425305 - 08/26/16 11:19 PM Re: Best controller to use with vArranger2 & why? [Re: Dnj]
synerjim Offline

Loc: CA
I really want to go to software arranger route, however I'm a singer/player and needs vocal processor/harmonizer feature. I don't want to hook up another device. I'm a minimalist and wants to carry only a laptop, controller kb, mic and PA. Any suggestions?
Thanks

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

#425306 - 08/26/16 11:33 PM Re: Best controller to use with vArranger2 & why? [Re: rikkisbears]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: rikkisbears
Hi Donny,
I haven't got mine up and running again as yet ( too busy with my other toy at the moment)
But I did ask Dan about sound choice

SD2 / SD1000 any GM synth your VST, your Soundfonts

or our SoundBanks and more to come....

Apparently there are 4 sound banks they 've created, korg, Roland , Ketron Yamaha , they are an extra though, not part of varranger package.

Personally if I was starting over, I wouldn't dash out and buy the sd2, it was the only option 5 years ago , from memory.

I would imagine if I got serious about it again, I'd probably go for his sound banks

Have a chat to him, he's very helpful.

As a soundbank, best results reported indeed come from Ketron SD1000...(toigh sd2 is also still very good) the SD1000 has pretty much the same sounds as the SD7... Where the SD2 goes back to pre audya soundsources of the SD5 and SD1..

There are also a lot of people reporting good results using the Motif XF and MOXF as the soundsource... Espescially the demo's of moesieurs show this.

Apparently the high quallity of the new sound sources ( which are €100 each) is xlose or sometimes even better then the sound of the TOTL arrangers of that brand.. But so far its hard to find any demo videos of this... These soundsources run in the build in synth from Varranger on your PC, not requiring a hardware soundsource anymore..

The good thing is Dann keeps taking this to higher and higher levels every few months...with new features and better integration...

#425307 - 08/27/16 12:03 AM Re: Best controller to use with vArranger2 & why? [Re: synerjim]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: synerjim
I really want to go to software arranger route, however I'm a singer/player and needs vocal processor/harmonizer feature. I don't want to hook up another device. I'm a minimalist and wants to carry only a laptop, controller kb, mic and PA. Any suggestions?
Thanks

There are many software solutions, that give vocal processor harmonizer features, however these in general are not aimed at playing live but for playing in the studio... Just browse the webs and you might be more lucky then me in finding a piece of software usable in live situations

In the end i would just choose a TC Helicon Voicelive 3, its very small and can be attached to your mic stand...

#425311 - 08/27/16 01:05 AM Re: Best controller to use with vArranger2 & why? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Mixcraft Pro Daw is all I need for a sound source...

#425314 - 08/27/16 01:17 AM Re: Best controller to use with vArranger2 & why? [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
DAW = Korg Kronos (Controller and sounds)
Module = Ketron SD1000
VST = Kontakt 5 or Halon Sonic 2
Controller = Entry level, Roland A800 Pro
Controller = Pro, Native Instruments or Akai
Computer = 2 in 1
Sequencer Software = Cubase or Logic (Depends on whether you have a PC or Mac)

Hope this helps

Bill

#425325 - 08/27/16 07:24 AM Re: Best controller to use with vArranger2 & why? [Re: abacus]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: abacus
DAW = Korg Kronos (Controller and sounds)
Module = Ketron SD1000
VST = Kontakt 5 or Halon Sonic 2
Controller = Entry level, Roland A800 Pro
Controller = Pro, Native Instruments or Akai
Computer = 2 in 1
Sequencer Software = Cubase or Logic (Depends on whether you have a PC or Mac)

Hope this helps

Bill

There are no templates for the Native instruments and akai advance controllers in Varranger.

Currently seems the Korg nanocontrol2 and the Korg nano studio control are very popular, espescially the nanocontroll2 whixh can be easilly velcroed to any keyboard

#425327 - 08/27/16 08:17 AM Re: Best controller to use with vArranger2 & why? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Novation KBs have AUTOMAP4 making it super easy to assign all buttons knobs to DAW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BAhKohE0rA

#425336 - 08/27/16 12:39 PM Re: Best controller to use with vArranger2 & why? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I use the nanoKontrol2 with the Edirol pc80..
The pc80 offers many features that are not found on any controller.But does not have assignable sliders and buttons, that is where the Korg nanoKontrol2 comes into play..

The combo runs Mixcraft Pro7, perfectly..
I also run effects from Mixcraft with the Mic input on the pc80.

I use the pc80 synth for my arranger software and SMF player..

One man band 11 is my current choice for arranger play..

Karawin pro is my midi sequence player and audio player too,,

All in all, it is great package set up, and does not crash..

The big weakness.....playing the keys...

Yamaha psr players won't mind the key feel...

Edited by Fran Carango (08/27/16 12:41 PM)

#425338 - 08/27/16 12:52 PM Re: Best controller to use with vArranger2 & why? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

How does stack up OMB 11 vs Varranger ?

#425339 - 08/27/16 01:18 PM Re: Best controller to use with vArranger2 & why? [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Quote from DNJ: Novation KBs have AUTOMAP4 making it super easy to assign all buttons knobs to DAW

I have a Novation MK11 and don't use Automap for control assignments. Use the "Learn" feature. With a Nanakontrol, master KB, or pc keyboard,figure out ahead of time the necessary control parameters, like volume, sync start,favorite instruments etc. Click on "Controls"header of VA and choose one and click the midi button or slider you want to control it. As far as VArr is concerned, you want to choose a handy location. You do this once(for that kb) and a template is saved. You click on the LED option in the program.

Edited by Bernie9 (08/27/16 01:20 PM)

#425340 - 08/27/16 01:28 PM Re: Best controller to use with vArranger2 & why? [Re: Bachus]
synerjim Offline

Loc: CA
Yes Bachus that's the issue, they're geared toward studio not for live applications.
This is the reason I like the MJ, MJPro because of their all in one design and portability.
Well maybe in the near future we will have all software based arranger vocalizer geared for live use.

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

#425341 - 08/27/16 02:32 PM Re: Best controller to use with vArranger2 & why? [Re: Dnj]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
Hello Donny,

I have received your email.
I want to understand better, what is your goal, your need, your dreams... before to answer about vArranger ... DAW ... Controllers .......
Is it for live? studio? fun? vacation? replacing your PSR?

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#425343 - 08/27/16 03:28 PM Re: Best controller to use with vArranger2 & why? [Re: Bachus]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By: Bachus

As a soundbank, best results reported indeed come from Ketron SD1000...(toigh sd2 is also still very good) the SD1000 has pretty much the same sounds as the SD7... Where the SD2 goes back to pre audya soundsources of the SD5 and SD1..

There are also a lot of people reporting good results using the Motif XF and MOXF as the soundsource... Espescially the demo's of moesieurs show this.

Apparently the high quallity of the new sound sources ( which are €100 each) is xlose or sometimes even better then the sound of the TOTL arrangers of that brand.. But so far its hard to find any demo videos of this... These soundsources run in the build in synth from Varranger on your PC, not requiring a hardware soundsource anymore..

The good thing is Dann keeps taking this to higher and higher levels every few months...with new features and better integration...

Hi Bachus

no doubt the sd1000 would be far better than the sd2.

My thinking on the subject is, if you have a dedicated sound source for XG styles, dedicated source for Ketron etc they would probably have to sound better than one that is generic.
The sd2 was great back when varranger only played Ketron styles, and Dan did his best to make sd2 compatible with XG styles , etc. but there must be some sort of internal conversion in varranger software to make XG sounds play the correct sounds in an sd2, especially when it comes to drum mapping. The sd2 did a great job on the Ketron styles.
At the time, I had a PSR , so never got round to using it for PSR styles.

I actually converted a couple of my old sd1 styles across to korg. Had no hope of getting the Ketron live drum track part of the style working. Midied my sd2 to the korg and the style sounded almost as good as the original. In the end I got some sd2 live drum samples and loaded those into the Korg instead.

I just tend to think, if there is a dedicated sound source for the brand of styles you want to play, it would sound better?

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#425344 - 08/27/16 03:31 PM Re: Best controller to use with vArranger2 & why? [Re: Dnj]
rikkisbears Offline

How does stack up OMB 11 vs Varranger ?

Hi Donny,
Omb only plays PSR styles, depends what you're aiming for.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#425350 - 08/27/16 04:56 PM Re: Best controller to use with vArranger2 & why? [Re: DAN.2000]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DAN.2000
Hello Donny,

I have received your email.
I want to understand better, what is your goal, your need, your dreams... before to answer about vArranger ... DAW ... Controllers .......
Is it for live? studio? fun? vacation? replacing your PSR?

I was thinking of using a controller KB or maybe S970 and vArranger at home in studio,.....coupled with my Mixcraft pro DAW as a sound source for styles Yamaha,KORG , ketron etc, etc,..for recording ..

#425354 - 08/27/16 07:28 PM Re: Best controller to use with vArranger2 & why? [Re: Dnj]
DAN.2000 Offline

If your goal is recording, you don't really need a controller.
Whay you can do is selecting a style, entering your song's chords in a grid, put the intros, variation, fill in ending in the grid, then.... export to midifile

Import this generated midifile into Mixcraft pro DAW, and continue the good work. Assign every sound to your usual VST sounds.... etc...

Do you have any experience in recording and using virtual instruments in Mixcraft?

Dan

#425355 - 08/27/16 07:36 PM Re: Best controller to use with vArranger2 & why? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Usually I just record directly into the Daw live and multitrack.....then edit from there,eq,fx,mixdown,master,etc..

#425391 - 08/28/16 03:41 PM Re: Best controller to use with vArranger2 & why? [Re: Dnj]
DAN.2000 Offline

Cool if you can record perfect one shot smile

When you do this, your song is not perfectly in time with the measures of the DAW. no?

The good thing with the vArranger midifile export, is that the styles notes will be in time, but you will need to record the melody in the DAW

If you want to use Mixcraft as your sound source. What king of instruments do they have? any GM soundset ?

Dan

#425392 - 08/28/16 03:46 PM Re: Best controller to use with vArranger2 & why? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Dan will have enough to get back to you soon on this as I need to look further into this thank you for the reply

#425405 - 08/28/16 11:12 PM Re: Best controller to use with vArranger2 & why? [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Dan will have enough to get back to you soon on this as I need to look further into this thank you for the reply

Just liek i expected.. There is no product in the music world where you get this kind of service from the developers .... Isnt this great how Dann handles this with interest in your situation?

#425410 - 08/29/16 04:43 AM Re: Best controller to use with vArranger2 & why? [Re: Dnj]
DAN.2000 Offline

Thank you smile
vArranger is a great software, and I want to be sure that the musician will enjoy it. I have no interest in selling vArranger if it is not adapted to the need. As I am doing the after sales helping too, and the vArranger users community is growing, it is better to check things before the sales, and then sleep well smile

Dan

#425411 - 08/29/16 05:17 AM Re: Best controller to use with vArranger2 & why? [Re: DAN.2000]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I remember a situation about 4 or 5 years ago, when an absolute newbe by the name of Bernie, just couldn't seem to get going. Well, Dan connected remotely to my computer, and set it up for me.
Bernie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online