SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#424824 - 08/14/16 09:07 PM utilizing mind power to improve your fingering
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA

This is what I'm always going on about.........Power of the Mind principles as applied to the keyboard.

4:47 "waste of time doing it the conventional way"
6:19 "let the brain work for you"

When I first started playing music, I worked on the Czerny exercises and the book of scales for years. Bored out of my mind and getting nowhere fast. When I discovered French musette music, it started me on a whole new path. By instinct, I did what this fellow is talking about at 06:57 to learn fast arpeggios. Fit the fingers onto the keys, go slowly, and make sure each finger is smack in the middle of each key. The brain takes over from there.

I've accomplished wonders playing arpeggios with this method.

#424836 - 08/15/16 03:35 AM Re: utilizing mind power to improve your fingering [Re: Mark79100]
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
Hi Mark , what you have written sounds very interesting .....is there supposed to be an attachment / youtube ??

#424841 - 08/15/16 09:17 AM Re: utilizing mind power to improve your fingering [Re: Giovanni]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Mark I feel there are two different subjects.

1-Scale and arpeggios are the equivalent of lifting weights. The weights are a foundation to what are going to do. Playing the French musette music completes the journey.

You can tell when a musician studied classical music; French musette music included. His fills, runs, and arpeggios are cleaner – not necessarily a better musician.

My opinion, John C.

#424859 - 08/15/16 08:12 PM Re: utilizing mind power to improve your fingering [Re: bruno123]
Mark79100 Offline

Hi John,

I just threw that out because I didn't think anyone would actually read this (and comment).

What I meant to say was.......I was introduced to French Musette music. I loved it from the word "go." I desperately wanted to play it. As you know, French Musette is all scales, arpeggios, and broken chords. At that point, I couldn't play an arpeggio cleanly. So I used the method as described in the video......slow, fingers in place, the mind will remember when the fingers are in place. I did that sporadically throughout the day and EVERY day for 3-6 months. One day it all happened. I found I could sight read and play any of the French tunes without even looking at the keyboard. So you are correct.....the French stuff is the end of the journey (and the reward). I still play it today......never tire of it.

It takes a tremendous amount of discipline which most of us have in our 20's. Not sure if I could do that "learning stint" again today.

Mark

#424860 - 08/15/16 08:19 PM Re: utilizing mind power to improve your fingering [Re: Giovanni]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By: Giovanni
Hi Mark , what you have written sounds very interesting .....is there supposed to be an attachment / youtube ??

Giovanni.......that's a good accordion player name. And I notice you live in England where good French Musette can be played more freely than over here. I learned a lot of my stuff from my association with John Leslie (accordionist for the BBC).

I attached the video of what I was trying to say to my original post. Maybe it didn't show up with your browser?

Mark

#424866 - 08/16/16 02:44 AM Re: utilizing mind power to improve your fingering [Re: Mark79100]
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
Hi Mark , it's certainly a small world ! yes I knew John Leslie a wonderful accordionist and teacher and of course a real character . Never visited his shop in Kilburn London , but spoke to him many times at various accordion festivals .
A very good friend of mine Andy Anderson (another wonderful accordionist) was John Leslies right hand man in the shop and at accordion festivals!! those two guys where like accordion brothers !!! and John Leslie actually brought out the best in Andy's accordion playing and john Leslie loved Andy's musette playing and his help and advice gave Andy the confidence and self esteem he had lacked most of his musical life (this is what Andy told me !!!)Sadly Andy passed away a few years ago and I'm sorry to report that John Leslie passed away about a year ago .
As I'm sure you know John had 5 children at least 2 of them are terrific accordionists ...so john's incrediable talent lives on as does his accordion shop .

Mark is there any chance you could just post the link to the site you mentioned , I'll then try to open it..
As the subject is of great interest to me....best regards

#424869 - 08/16/16 05:35 AM Re: utilizing mind power to improve your fingering [Re: Giovanni]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Hi Mark
You wrote:
“slow, fingers in place, the mind will remember when the fingers are in place” Oh how so very true. My example: I look at my left hand when playing, but a stare at my right. I know if I followed the steps you mentioned I would play better.

You wrote:
“I found I could sight read and play any of the French tunes without even looking at the keyboard” About 12 years ago I forum French music, loved it. It makes me think twice about the amount of time I spend learning music I do not love.

You wrote:
“It takes a tremendous amount of discipline which most of us have in our 20's. Not sure if I could do that "learning stint" again today” Amen! My example is my typing. I increase my speed and accuracy by doing just what you wrote --- but age does affect my desire to do.

Great subject Mark --- I am going to practice playing my keyboard today with no looking. (smile)

Thank you for your post., John C.

PS, What instrument makes my head turn when I hear it played? The accordion, the sound is pure; it is real.

#424872 - 08/16/16 07:32 AM Re: utilizing mind power to improve your fingering [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quite a number of years ago, I worked a lot with a blind musician friend. I marveled at how he could play keys without seeing them. He also had perfect pitch, but that's another subject.
Anyway, mostly out of curiosity, I started trying to play some without looking at the keys. After a while it gets pretty easy, especially in keys where I am comfortable.
Downside--if I do that too much people are even more skeptical that I'm really playing.

#424874 - 08/16/16 07:35 AM Re: utilizing mind power to improve your fingering [Re: Mark79100]
124 Offline

Pretty much the same as you, Don. Finger memory seems to work of its own accord.

#424879 - 08/16/16 08:41 AM Re: utilizing mind power to improve your fingering [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Quite a number of years ago, I worked a lot with a blind musician friend. I marveled at how he could play keys without seeing them. He also had perfect pitch, but that's another subject.
Anyway, mostly out of curiosity, I started trying to play some without looking at the keys. After a while it gets pretty easy, especially in keys where I am comfortable.
Downside--if I do that too much people are even more skeptical that I'm really playing.

That's what I've been saying on here many times to practice blindfolded, forget the charts, memorize everything,...
playing keys should be secondary when your singing and looking at the audience...play off the cuff and make it your own.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online