SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#42448 - 08/26/05 12:19 AM A Special Concert
Jean Olivia Offline

Loc: Melbourne Victoria Australia
I have a very special concert coming up and am working on an arrangement of The Godfather Theme or 'Speak Softly Love." I have tried out lots of styles and voices, but I just can't hit the jackpot. I would be interested to know if anyone has any suggestions. It will be in a large theatre and needs lots of "guts". I am just about ready to change my mind and pick something else. Do you know the feeling?? Cheers Jean Olivia.

#42449 - 08/26/05 03:12 AM Re: A Special Concert
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Jean, I play The Godfather Theme with no tempo in the first part adding a slight feel of rhythm for the second. The style is slow, no instruments acmp. except drums and bass. Maybe a tease of piano or guitar.
The beauty of this song is in the melody of the song and instruments you select. -- and the instrument changes you make. I feel you have selected a good song for a concert. as long as you treat the song with feeling and variations like a true artist.
You have an opportunity to express your feelings, treat the song with a clasical flavor. The stlye is of little value. just a slight feel of rhythm is needed. I do you use sounds in my left and right hand to complement the song.

IMHO, John C.

#42450 - 08/26/05 07:02 AM Re: A Special Concert
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Jean ... You've selected a beautiful song ... I agree with Bruno about the song not needing much accomp, but in a theater setting I understand what you mean about wanting to have some "guts" ... I would go with Bruno's idea of starting out with no rhythm accom, but I would go further and build on that ...
I don't have my kn6000 here but will try to remember to check at home later ... I believe I've used "Romantic Ballad" at times ... You might try to build from no accomp/rhythm, to a ballad to perhaps a rhumba, bolero, or tango rhythm, and then ending with no accomp ... Also, what voices are you planning to use? Obviously, one of the accordion voices in R1 and a mandolin voice in R2 will sound beautiful as well as Piano 1 Octave or 2 Octave... As you know, you could set all the voices and rhythms in the Panel Memory ...
Good luck, and keep us posted....
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 08-26-2005).]

#42451 - 08/26/05 07:06 AM Re: A Special Concert
tony mads usa Offline

PS ... You could even 'sequence' the entire performance except what you want to play 'live', adding a counter melody with strings, etc. ....
t.

#42452 - 08/26/05 08:39 AM Re: A Special Concert
The Leans Offline

Loc: Birmingham, England
Hi Jean,

All of us will have different notions of what we want out of a song.

But just in case it's of any help, (and you have a KN7000), I've quickly recorded my own short version of a style that might suit you, and I'm sending this along to you as an e-mail attachment. - Hope it's of some use. - Best wishes,

Colin,

#42453 - 08/26/05 12:57 PM Re: A Special Concert
The Leans Offline

Loc: Birmingham, England
Sorry Jean,

I sent off the attachment, but it was returned to me as 'undelivable-wrong address'. -- In any event, I've since picked up from your profile, that you have a KN6500. - Which won't playback my KN7000 sequence anyway. - Sorry, unable to help any further. Hope you manage to get something fixed up. Cheers,

Colin

#42454 - 08/28/05 07:50 PM Re: A Special Concert
Jean Olivia Offline

Loc: Melbourne Victoria Australia
Thank you Bruno and Tony for your replies. I am trying out all your suggestions and they have helped. Thanks to the Leans too. I would have loved to receive your song.I am still puddling along, but have decided to turn it into a medley of three great film themes, so that will give me a bit more scope.
I don't really like playing in a theatre as the Sound people play it through their system and I have lost control. The guy on the mixer always has the urge to twiddle all the knobs - last time the guy turned up the bass and thats about all I could hear. Short of handcuffing him - What's the answer? Could it be that he is in his twenties and I am in my seventies.?
I am in the process of buying a Jade Soundart 150 stereo PA system for use in small halls as I find the keyboard on its own is " too loud in the front and too soft at the back of the hall". Also sitting with your back to the audience is not a good look, but thats the way the sound goes out.I am just starting to play out in public as up until now all my work was recorded for groups and singers - so I have a few new areas to cover that I know very little about. Any suggestions would be most helpful. Cheers. Jean.

[This message has been edited by Jean Olivia (edited 08-28-2005).]

#42455 - 08/28/05 08:06 PM Re: A Special Concert
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I am in the process of buying a Jade Soundart 150 stereo PA system for use in small halls as I find the keyboard on its own is " too loud in the front and too soft at the back of the hall". Also sitting with your back to the audience is not a good look, but thats the way the sound goes out.I am just starting to play out in public as up until now all my work was recorded for groups and singers - so I have a few new areas to cover. Any suggestions would be most helpful. Cheers. Jean.

Jean, I normally put my speakers one on either side --slighty behind me --slanted slightly toward me. If they are pointed out I hear a bassy sound. If pointed towards me, the sound is a bit on the high side. Slightly back and slanted towards me is acceptable.
But----you do have speakers in your KN6500. Since I bought my KN 7000 I have started to use the internal speakers as my moniter speaker. I try to set my amp. so that it will create the same sound quility that the Kn's internal speakers have --one heck of a good sound I may add. Now my amplified speakers can be placed anywhere, but not behind me --normally a bit foward and slanter in for dancers, out for a concert.
I hope this helps a bit, John C.

#42456 - 08/29/05 06:20 AM Re: A Special Concert
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Jean Olivia:
....I am in the process of buying a Jade Soundart 150 stereo PA system for use in small halls as I find the keyboard on its own is " too loud in the front and too soft at the back of the hall". ... Cheers. Jean.
[This message has been edited by Jean Olivia (edited 08-28-2005).]

Jean ... You may want to look into the Logitech Z-5500 system ... Some of the folks on the "General Arranger Keyboard" forum have had great success with them ...
t.

#42457 - 08/30/05 12:30 AM Re: A Special Concert
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Would increasing the REVERB setting help Jean? I find very often this facility is forgotten about but it can be very effective when needed.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Aud (U.K.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online