SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#423964 - 07/28/16 03:36 PM Slips, Trips and Falls
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Many folks at the assisted living places I play at like to dance when I play. I'm seeing this even more now since using the 4X.

Today I had a number of folks dancing and one elderly couple got tangled up and fell. No one was hurt but I did ask the staff if I should discourage dancing. The answer I got was no. Let them dance I was told.

This type of incident is rare but does happen.

Thoughts?

#423968 - 07/28/16 04:11 PM Re: Slips, Trips and Falls [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I encountered the slip, trip and fall problems nearly every day I performed the senior circuit - it's part of the business. However, you have to make it clear to the staff that they MUST have someone in the room with you the entire time you are playing, and they must be attentive to the potential dancer loosing control and falling. An attentive AD and their staff would frequently stop someone from dancing if there seemed to be a problem along these lines. Additionally, I always encourage dangers to remain on tile floors, and not dance in carpeted areas where they are more prone to tripping and their footing is not as secure while dancing. Finally, I carried $1,000,000 in liability insurance, which some locations required, just to be on the safe side. Personally, I know of no entertainer that has been sued because someone fell and was injured on a dance floor, but in our suit happy world, this could easily happen.

Now, if you do not have a written contract or agreement with the facilities where you perform, I strongly suggest that you put one together ASAP. The contract should clearly spell out the requirement that someone is in the room with the patients at all times. This could save your butt from a law suit and loads of grief in the future.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#423969 - 07/28/16 05:40 PM Re: Slips, Trips and Falls [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
I encountered the slip, trip and fall problems nearly every day I performed the senior circuit - it's part of the business. However, you have to make it clear to the staff that they MUST have someone in the room with you the entire time you are playing, and they must be attentive to the potential dancer loosing control and falling. An attentive AD and their staff would frequently stop someone from dancing if there seemed to be a problem along these lines. Additionally, I always encourage dangers to remain on tile floors, and not dance in carpeted areas where they are more prone to tripping and their footing is not as secure while dancing. Finally, I carried $1,000,000 in liability insurance, which some locations required, just to be on the safe side. Personally, I know of no entertainer that has been sued because someone fell and was injured on a dance floor, but in our suit happy world, this could easily happen.

Now, if you do not have a written contract or agreement with the facilities where you perform, I strongly suggest that you put one together ASAP. The contract should clearly spell out the requirement that someone is in the room with the patients at all times. This could save your butt from a law suit and loads of grief in the future.

Good luck,

Gary cool

DITTO !!

#424031 - 07/30/16 04:32 AM Re: Slips, Trips and Falls [Re: Dnj]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Good points.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online