SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#42353 - 02/22/04 02:52 AM SEA-CHANGE
Jean Olivia Offline

Loc: Melbourne Victoria Australia
Someone might have some experience with this, and I would welcome any advice. I am looking for a block of land near the coast with the intention of building a new home and moving down there. I am trying to find out how far away from the shoreline I would need to be to keep the musical instruments safe from corrosion. I have been warned about this and wondered if any of the members of the forum have had any experiences.
My brother went for a train ride along the coastline and found when he went to play his accordian the slide control had corroded in the space of a couple of days. Reguards to all. Jean Olivia.

#42354 - 02/22/04 04:29 AM Re: SEA-CHANGE
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Hi Jean, I live in West Palm Beach, Florida, 1/2 block form the ocean. I have potected my instruments by having a dehumidifier and an air conditioner in my music room. Because of the tempture here the air conditioner is used often so there is very litle damage.

As a piano technician I find stcking notes, and rusted strings on the pianos there are not cared for. They sell units for pianos, organs, and all types of music cases which will eliminate most of the humidity.

Live wherever you wish, then create the protection that is needed.

On the down side, because I live near the ocean, I have replaced front doors three times, my tools if not cared for will rust, and the sun-roof of my care had to be replaced. And yes, I would move here again.

John C.

#42355 - 02/22/04 05:22 AM Re: SEA-CHANGE
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jean,

I lived on an Island off the coast of Texas for 7 years. My Technics Organ never had a problem.

As John says, there are other problems. Faucets deteriate very fast. Rust and corrosion are the big problems.

Fran in Florida

#42356 - 02/22/04 07:46 AM Re: SEA-CHANGE
Walter McLaren Offline

Loc: Borders. Scotland
Could not resist this one Jean...... Dumfries!!! Walter

#42357 - 02/22/04 01:23 PM Re: SEA-CHANGE
Jean Olivia Offline

Loc: Melbourne Victoria Australia
Walter. No not Dumfries -I am staying in Victoria. haven't you heard that Melbourne is the most liveable city in the world? I will be going down to the Mornington Peninsular- probably Rosebud or Dromana. I would like to get within walking distance from the beach as one cannot forcast how long you will drive a car and this will be my last house that I build. The sand and salt carry in the wind like dust so I am anxious to hear from others living on the coast.
Fran and Bruno. Thank you for your response. The humidifier is an easy to supply aid. I have 5 instruments so I need to make sure they are happy.Cheers Jean.

#42358 - 02/22/04 01:45 PM Re: SEA-CHANGE
Anonymous
Unregistered

Small world isn't it.

I mentioned I lived on an island off Rockport, Texas in l974.
Now I find out....Bebop guest played piano at a watering hole, 4 miles from my home, in 1974. I may have bought him a pint.

Fran in Florida

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online