SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#42330 - 02/16/03 06:11 PM Load Page 3 for Panel Memory
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I saw a previous note about problems with Load, Page 3 (load singe, load bank). I am having a similar problem (in KN-7000):

I save a new file, with ONLY Panel Memory data ("All" rather than "3bank"). It's called BAND_2 in my case. I can LOAD the file from SD, and it loads all 104 panel memories.

Then, I try to Load only one panel memory ("single") or a bank of 8 panel memories ("bank") using Load, Page 3. The fields are blank.

When I load from a file containing Composer or Sound, Load Page 3 works. However, when I try to load from a file containing only Panel Memories, Page 3 (Load Single/Bank) for Panel Memory does not work. Tried on floppy as well, still doesn't work. Also, I saved these files on KN-7000 so it's not a compatibility issue.

Can anyone else try this and verify if this happens for them too? Simple way to try: Load some panel memories; save the file, and under save use Page 2 to specify saving ONLY Panel Memory data. Now, exit, try to LOAD, Page 3, and load a single or bank of Panel Memories back in . . .

Thanks for any help!
Jim

#42331 - 02/17/03 01:55 AM Re: Load Page 3 for Panel Memory
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Hi Jim

You requested:-

Load some panel memories; save the file, and under save use Page 2 to specify saving ONLY Panel Memory data. Now, exit, try to LOAD, Page 3, and load a single or bank of Panel Memories back in . . .

I was able to load both single and bank without any problem.
Could I suggest that you try the same thing again, but this time make sure that you name each of the panel memories, so that you will be able to know for certain if they have loaded or not. Also make sure that you identify the FROM location and the TO location on page 3. e.g. you could load a Bank of Panel Memories from Bank 10 of your saved file and save them to Bank 1.
John

#42332 - 02/17/03 06:51 AM Re: Load Page 3 for Panel Memory
jimlaing Offline

Thanks for testing it on your keyboard.

The Panel Memories I use all have names (I have 104 songs set up in each set of panel memories). When I do a SAVE and save other data to the file too (such as COMPOSER, SOUNDS and EFFECTS), I can do single and bank loads OK. It's only when I save ONLY panel memory data (turn all the others OFF) that the Load Page 3 doesn't work. When I do the LOAD, on the right side on page 1 the only thing listed is "Panel Memories".

When I go to Load Page 3, the controls that allow you to select banks/memories, just show dashes "-----" and no names, no numbers.

Maybe I have an older version of KN7000 operating system???

Jim

#42333 - 02/17/03 07:18 AM Re: Load Page 3 for Panel Memory
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
When I go to Load Page 3, the controls that allow you to select banks/memories, just show dashes "-----" and no names, no numbers.

Maybe I have an older version of KN7000 operating system???

Hi Jim
First of all, my KN7 has the original operating system
When you go to the page 3 Load screen, you should see 2 boxes headed FROM and TO.
The FROM box will have the name of the file you saved and inside the box should be able to select which bank'single panel memories you want to load.
In the TO box it will have the name KN7000 and again in the box you can select the Bank location you want to save to. No dashes!!!
I wonder if when you are trying to load you are pressing the floppy disc load button rather than the SD load button.
The only other thing I can think of is that if you tried to use page 3 to load panel memories from an earlier KN file on disc, you will get similar results to the one you are experiencing. Any earlier version KN file needs to be saved back to disc as a KN7 file in order to be able to use the page 3 load.
John

#42334 - 02/17/03 09:06 AM Re: Load Page 3 for Panel Memory
jimlaing Offline

thanks for the tips/ideas. I believe everything is OK:

1) I am using only KN-7000-saved files
2) I am using the SD button to load/save SD data
3) The FROM and TO boxes are there, labelled as you say, but the data portion (inside the boxes) has nothing but dashes.
4) I tried the same experiments with SAVE and LOAD to/from Floppy, with same results. So it's not just the medium that is the problem, apparently.

Again, I am saving ONLY panel memory data in all previous cases.

As a further test, I did a new SAVE in which I saved two types of data: PANEL MEMORY and SOUND data. From this saved file, I can do a LOAD, Page 3 and use the MODE button to load either Panel Memory or Sounds (bank or single). However, if I then save ONLY the Panel Memory data, then try Load, Page 3, I get the boxes with dashes, and the "up/down" buttons (do not function).

So, if I have a file with ONLY panel memory data, things don't work; if I have a file with Panel Memory and Sound data, things work as expected.

Another side note - this whole process (saving ONLY panel memory, and Loading-Page 3) has worked fine for years on my KN-6000.

So, seems there is a "bug" in my KN-7000.

Thanks again for the ideas for me to make sure I'm doing things right ...

Jim

#42335 - 02/18/03 07:54 AM Re: Load Page 3 for Panel Memory
jimlaing Offline

Additional info - the Panel Memory data files started as KN-6000 files, which I LOADed into the 7000, and SAVEd on the 7000. So technically I'm working with KN-7000 files, but the fact that they originally came from a 6000, might be part of the problem/bug/issue ...

Jim

#42336 - 02/22/03 08:31 AM Re: Load Page 3 for Panel Memory
jimlaing Offline

Solution found (Thanks to Eddie at Technics) - it is simply that normal LOAD operations will load previous model data files (such as KN-6000) but Load Page 3 will not load previous models. When I saved ALL my files (that I had copied to SD from floppy) as KN-7000, then any Load Page 3 worked.

I had mistakenly thought that Copy from Floppy to SD would automatically change the files to KN-7000 files, but this was not the case. Load-then-save each file, solved the problem

Jim

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online