SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#422821 - 07/02/16 06:41 AM Re: keyboard swappers, do you miss a favourite style? [Re: rikkisbears]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: rikkisbears
Originally Posted By: Bachus

I mostly use user styles, i love tweaking styles for my own needs ... I dont mind tweaking user styles till they perform like i want... Most of the time by just choosing the right instruments and switching tracks off one can archieve some very nice style performances..

Tough i wish there where more factory styles for generic use, even many of the factory styles are programmed for specific songs...

Hi Bachus,
just out of ineterest, are you referring to factory styles ( ie same brand keyboard, but possibly different model) that you tweak , or converted styles from other keyboards? [/quote]

Both... There is a database with almost 40.000 user styles for Yamaha from which atleast 38.000 require some tweaking.. Most important part of getting other brands of styles working is creating a frumset that works... For converted Korg styles, i am Currently experimenting with the drums of my Kronos... Also guitar tracks is something delicate.. Espescially for converted Roland and Korg styles... Its often easier to copy if possible a guitar track from another Yamaha style...

This sounds very easy, but in the end i am often not entirely happy with the final results, as there seems allways room for improvement... We all know the GM2 compatibillity has allways been a joke...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#422823 - 07/02/16 07:23 AM Re: keyboard swappers, do you miss a favourite style? [Re: bruno123]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By: bruno123
Like Bachus I tweak factory styles and create pads that add a great deal. I believe that styles sound the best on the keyboard they were created.
Technics, Yamaha, and Korgs do not sound the same; so most converted style falls short most of the time. I have a Kn7000 and a Pa900 – When I play a converted Technics style on the Pa900 it falls short.

John C.

PS, There are many posts about styles but few are posted about pads; they add so much to the styles.

Hi John ,
Tend to agree conversions don't sound as good as originals, but if I really miss having a particular style I put in the effort of converting it properly, not just putting it thru emc's style conversion program which can give very mixed results.
My result might not sound as good as the original, but better than no style at all for the song.
Technics are difficult for me mainly because I don't have access to a keyboard. So are my Ketron sd1 Styles . I had one favourite style an orchestral swing . So wanted that style I ended up putting together a sampled live drum set, so that it was as close to the original as I could get. Nuts! Yes, but I enjoy the challenge.

As for pads, they are great. They add to a style. Some of the ones I used to create I used to use as a replacement for a style part ielike a piano arpeggio. Great way to audition the arpeggio with different styles.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#422835 - 07/02/16 11:47 AM Re: keyboard swappers, do you miss a favourite style? [Re: rikkisbears]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: rikkisbears
Hi Tony,
I luved some of those old technics styles, unfortunately EMC doesn't do a very good job on them. Takes out the tempo changes in the intro's and endings, and you end up with a fairly sub standard style.

Having said that, I noticed you still have a technics?

Never had the kn6000, so not sure what sequencer functions it has. It's one I missed out on, the last one I had was the kn7,

Can it actually record a sequence and be saved as a midifile with Gm sounds and drums?

If so, I'd be happy to give it a try, your pa900 I gather plays pa 3x styles?

I've only recently thought of using my PSR to record the midifile parts I need to put a style together, allows me to do some of the newer styles.
The way I used to do it, really only worked with the more simple older ones.

Anyway, if the kn can do the above, and you can be bothered recording the midifiles I would require be happy to give it a try.
( takes me bout 5 to 10 minutes to record the stuff I need on my PSR, ) the main time is spent putting it altogether in the Korg.

I've put together a few simple jazz styles, one I know I definately used band in a box for, and the other 2 or 3 I can't remember what the source was, might have even been a technics , did them quite a while ago.

Also got some Glenn Miller I picked up somewhere along the way.

Welcome to have a copy if you want yo try them.

rikki ... thank you ... that is most generous of you ...
It has been a while since I tried to do anything other than PLAY the kn6000 ... I have experimented far more with the KORG than I ever did with the kn6 ... I will try to make the time to do what you suggest, and then I will get back to you ...
BTW, I believe I did so on another thread, but I want to thank you again for the styles from the Pa800 and the PA3x which I obtained from you some time ago ...
there are a number of them which I use on the Pa900 but I can't remember which as they now reside there under a song title, not a style ... grin

#422838 - 07/02/16 11:54 AM Re: keyboard swappers, do you miss a favourite style? [Re: rikkisbears]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Unlike many on this forum, I use a load of styles from the keyboard, and many, many third-party styles during a performance. Additionally, I have more than 50,000 Yamaha styles in my style collection, all on a single USB drive, so I can quickly find one when needed as the vast majority have been renamed to a specific, appropriate, song title.

One of the great aspects of being a Yamaha owner is that, with few exceptions, all those older styles will play in the newer Yamaha models, and many sound even better than the original version because of the newer voices. And, all the legacy voices can be played as well, which is a big plus for some of us.

So, I really never miss the old styles when I upgrade - I still have them! smile

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#422841 - 07/02/16 02:35 PM Re: keyboard swappers, do you miss a favourite style? [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
As far as I know, based on what I read here, I would say MOST of the players on this forum use the KB styles in their performances ... Some may edit them more than others, but they are still using them ...

I don't think the ability to play styles from older models is a feature exclusive to Yamaha ... when I was playing technics I used to get styles from other 'techies' who were playing older models ... and now, playing a Pa900 I have styles that go back to the Pa800 and the PA3x ...

I think the problem lies in 'backward' compatibility, in that styles on some newer models may not play on older models due to changes in technology ...

#422843 - 07/02/16 03:06 PM Re: keyboard swappers, do you miss a favourite style? [Re: tony mads usa]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Rikki,
I love turning accompaniment off leaving just drums and bass and add pads gradually. Dave spoke about turning off the accompaniment then sing and play his guitar. (I think I got that right) To much accompaniment gets in the way of a vocalist or soloist.

All accompaniment off

Vari 1

Selected pads – possible: Cymbal on all four, guitar on two and four or all four, bass drum

THEN Select Vari 4 – leave the pads – bring back the full band – Excitement.

Most of this is for big band.
Keyboards are fun when you are inventing—creating.

Rikki, I wish you lived closer I would visit and find out how you do it all. (smile)

Gary 50,000 styles – Please, please, please, share your filing system.

John C.

PS, Tony a Kn6000 and a Pa900, you have it all covered, nice.

#422846 - 07/02/16 03:51 PM Re: keyboard swappers, do you miss a favourite style? [Re: rikkisbears]
travlin'easy Offline

John, I actually went through each and every one of those styles, which took several years, and renamed them with song titles. Naturally, there are many duplicate titles with different styles - no way around that part. The next step was to sift through them and save only the ones I wanted for my performances, which I did. They were all stored on an 8GB USB drive that remains in my keyboard. I uploaded that drive's contents to the PSR Tutorial site for anyone to to access, download and use for their own purposes. It also contains my registrations and MFDs.

Gary cool

#422847 - 07/02/16 03:54 PM Re: keyboard swappers, do you miss a favourite style? [Re: rikkisbears]
travlin'easy Offline

Tony, you are correct about backward compatibility, however, some really smart folks, particularly Michael Bedesem, wrote a program called MIDI Player II, which allows you to quickly and easily convert most of the newer styles to older formats. Michael has also written several other great programs for Yamaha keyboards and midi file work, all of which are free.

All the best,

Gary cool

#422849 - 07/02/16 04:23 PM Re: keyboard swappers, do you miss a favourite style? [Re: tony mads usa]
rikkisbears Offline

. [/quote]

rikki ... thank you ... that is most generous of you ...
It has been a while since I tried to do anything other than PLAY the kn6000 ... I have experimented far more with the KORG than I ever did with the kn6 ... I will try to make the time to do what you suggest, and then I will get back to you ...
BTW, I believe I did so on another thread, but I want to thank you again for the styles from the Pa800 and the PA3x which I obtained from you some time ago ...
there are a number of them which I use on the Pa900 but I can't remember which as they now reside there under a song title, not a style ... grin [/quote]

Hi Tony,
if you decide you want to give it a go , let me know before hand as I would need the style with a specific format and chord.

Great to hear you got some use out of the earlier styles. Depending on when I sent them, I may have added a few "song specific "conversions,
Might jog your memory, I'll list them. If of any possible use, happy to send them.

I've also added at least couple or more older style ballads, if you use that type of style.

This Guys in Luv
Unchained Melody
Feelings
Smoke Gets in Your Eyes
Ballad for Adeline
Massachusetts
Let it Be
Unforgettable
Girl from Ipanema
Begin the Beguine
Volare
Somewhere over the Rainbow
Sentimental Journey
Stranger on the Shore
Twilight Time
Love Letters in the Sand
Wonderland by Night

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#422850 - 07/02/16 04:35 PM Re: keyboard swappers, do you miss a favourite style? [Re: travlin'easy]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy

One of the great aspects of being a Yamaha owner is that, with few exceptions, all those older styles will play in the newer Yamaha models, and many sound even better than the original version because of the newer voices. And, all the legacy voices can be played as well, which is a big plus for some of us.

So, I really never miss the old styles when I upgrade - I still have them! smile

Gary cool

Hi Gary,
And vice versa too as far as I'm aware, maybe not all of them , ie some of the T4's won't play straight away without a bit of a tweak, I think t4 has voices that my PSR doesn't, but it's always been a great feature of the PSR's that a newer model style will load into an older model keyboard. Can't do that with my korg, the old styles will load into a new keyboard, but a new style won't load into a prior generation.

Gosh, don't know how you keep track of all those styles, amazing.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online