SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#422805 - 07/01/16 07:02 PM keyboard swappers, do you miss a favourite style?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
Ok, your keyboard has about 400 to 500 styles, how many of those do you actually use?

My case probably lucky to use 10 to 20 percent, if that. I mainly tend to play older style music out of the 40's 50's 60's, ie ballads, showtunes, jazz,
limited ballroom , Latin, pop and country.
I spent some time going thru my old music books and jotting down 2 to 3 suitable styles on my PSR for each of the songs. Definitely noticed some styles cropped up far more often than others in the same genre and other styles in that genre, I doubt I would ever use.
I concluded I must have favourites.
Did the same with the korg. Found a suitable style for the majority of the tunes, but there was definately the odd one that i had trouble finding as suitable a style for , as the one on my PSR.
Since I prefer playing my korg, it's downstairs, the PSR is upstairs in a spare room , I decided to convert the style I wanted.

Anybody else have a favourite style they really miss, or is it me being too picky about what I use.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#422806 - 07/01/16 08:59 PM Re: keyboard swappers, do you miss a favourite style? [Re: rikkisbears]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
My technics kn6000 - which sits right next to my (go to) KORG Pa900 - has a couple of styles that I would like to see on the KORG ... one is a jazz trio style, another is a 40's BB style which is perfect for playing a medley of Glenn Miller type tunes - especially the Intro and Ending ... no doubt there are a couple more I can't think of right now ...

#422807 - 07/01/16 10:38 PM Re: keyboard swappers, do you miss a favourite style? [Re: rikkisbears]
Bachus Offline

I think thats the really strong point of Yamaha, probably all other brands styles somewhere in time got converted into Yamaha user styles, and they are available for grabs...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#422808 - 07/01/16 11:58 PM Re: keyboard swappers, do you miss a favourite style? [Re: tony mads usa]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Tony,
I luved some of those old technics styles, unfortunately EMC doesn't do a very good job on them. Takes out the tempo changes in the intro's and endings, and you end up with a fairly sub standard style.

Having said that, I noticed you still have a technics?

Never had the kn6000, so not sure what sequencer functions it has. It's one I missed out on, the last one I had was the kn7,

Can it actually record a sequence and be saved as a midifile with Gm sounds and drums?

If so, I'd be happy to give it a try, your pa900 I gather plays pa 3x styles?

I've only recently thought of using my PSR to record the midifile parts I need to put a style together, allows me to do some of the newer styles.
The way I used to do it, really only worked with the more simple older ones.

Anyway, if the kn can do the above, and you can be bothered recording the midifiles I would require be happy to give it a try.
( takes me bout 5 to 10 minutes to record the stuff I need on my PSR, ) the main time is spent putting it altogether in the Korg.

I've put together a few simple jazz styles, one I know I definately used band in a box for, and the other 2 or 3 I can't remember what the source was, might have even been a technics , did them quite a while ago.

Also got some Glenn Miller I picked up somewhere along the way.

Welcome to have a copy if you want yo try them.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#422809 - 07/02/16 12:11 AM Re: keyboard swappers, do you miss a favourite style? [Re: Bachus]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Bachus,
I think there's literally 1,000's of conversions out there, but quite a few of the ones I came across were not all that good. Some needed a fair bit of work to make them useable.

Where possible I try to stick to factory styles , even they sometimes need a bit of tweaking between different models. Fortunately there's a heap of PSR factory styles around too.

Must admit I find it easier to do the type of converting I do for the korg, than I did for my PSR.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#422813 - 07/02/16 02:23 AM Re: keyboard swappers, do you miss a favourite style? [Re: rikkisbears]
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
Hi Rikki ,good question .I'm using a Yamaha PSR3000 which was made specially for me it was a keyboard , all keys removed , also speakers .and fits in a special flight case with my musictech receiver for use with my Midi acoustic accordion .

I've been gigging with it for about 4 years love it plus all the very good Yamaha styles .

I was a technics boy for many years !! the one style I really miss is the one technote produced called sound of the 60's and it is the exact style for the Dusty Springfield hit "you don't have to say you love me" it really touches the spot !!!

guess you can't have everything in this world !! ...........

#422815 - 07/02/16 03:29 AM Re: keyboard swappers, do you miss a favourite style? [Re: rikkisbears]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: rikkisbears
Hi Bachus,
I think there's literally 1,000's of conversions out there, but quite a few of the ones I came across were not all that good. Some needed a fair bit of work to make them useable.

Where possible I try to stick to factory styles , even they sometimes need a bit of tweaking between different models. Fortunately there's a heap of PSR factory styles around too.

Must admit I find it easier to do the type of converting I do for the korg, than I did for my PSR.

I mostly use user styles, i love tweaking styles for my own needs ... I dont mind tweaking user styles till they perform like i want... Most of the time by just choosing the right instruments and switching tracks off one can archieve some very nice style performances..

Tough i wish there where more factory styles for generic use, even many of the factory styles are programmed for specific songs...

#422817 - 07/02/16 04:51 AM Re: keyboard swappers, do you miss a favourite style? [Re: Bachus]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Like Bachus I tweak factory styles and create pads that add a great deal. I believe that styles sound the best on the keyboard they were created.
Technics, Yamaha, and Korgs do not sound the same; so most converted style falls short most of the time. I have a Kn7000 and a Pa900 – When I play a converted Technics style on the Pa900 it falls short.

John C.

PS, There are many posts about styles but few are posted about pads; they add so much to the styles.

#422818 - 07/02/16 06:15 AM Re: keyboard swappers, do you miss a favourite style? [Re: Giovanni]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By: Giovanni
Hi Rikki ,good question .I'm using a Yamaha PSR3000 which was made specially for me it was a keyboard , all keys removed , also speakers .and fits in a special flight case with my musictech receiver for use with my Midi acoustic accordion .

I've been gigging with it for about 4 years love it plus all the very good Yamaha styles .

I was a technics boy for many years !! the one style I really miss is the one technote produced called sound of the 60's and it is the exact style for the Dusty Springfield hit "you don't have to say you love me" it really touches the spot !!!

guess you can't have everything in this world !! ...........

Hi Giovanni
Wow, it's certainly been a while.
You've basically got yourself a PSR arranger module.. I think quite a few of us have suggested one over the years, but yammie never listened. Ha ha

The style you mentioned, it was on one of the tech note disks? Not on the keyboard itself.?
I had a heap of the tech note disks, so regret having sold the keyboard, if for no other reason than it would have been handy for creating my midifiles.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#422819 - 07/02/16 06:25 AM Re: keyboard swappers, do you miss a favourite style? [Re: Bachus]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By: Bachus

I mostly use user styles, i love tweaking styles for my own needs ... I dont mind tweaking user styles till they perform like i want... Most of the time by just choosing the right instruments and switching tracks off one can archieve some very nice style performances..

Tough i wish there where more factory styles for generic use, even many of the factory styles are programmed for specific songs... [/quote]

Hi Bachus,
just out of ineterest, are you referring to factory styles ( ie same brand keyboard, but possibly different model) that you tweak , or converted styles from other keyboards?

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online