SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#422566 - 06/26/16 11:56 AM Vibrato/Tremolo problem BK-7m - faulty midi message?
rosetree
Unregistered

Today I played on a birthday, MoXF plus BK-7m.
After I first only used the MoXF for classical orchestral music, the BK-7m already midied and switched on but mute, then when I wanted to use the Bk-7m for some style-based performances, some sounds (I think it was always the Upper2 part) had a strange unwanted vibrato or tremolo effect, which didn't even disappear when changing to a different BK performance in my performance list). I had to switch the BK off and on again. The same problem reoccurred some songs later.

I suspected it was an odd midi message from the MoXF, but back at home I tried everything from changing MoXF sounds, performances, changing from voice mode to performance mode and master/song mode back and forth, I can't reproduce the error. My only hope is that blocking all unneeded midi message types in the midi setting will prevent it from happening again.

Has anybody experienced this?

#422606 - 06/27/16 05:59 AM Re: Vibrato/Tremolo problem BK-7m - faulty midi message? [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

Noone any idea?

#422628 - 06/27/16 01:04 PM Re: Vibrato/Tremolo problem BK-7m - faulty midi message? [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

• Wrong midi message from MoXF affecting a general setting that is not limited to a BK performance
  • Bk-7m defective
  • Other reason

#422629 - 06/27/16 01:09 PM Re: Vibrato/Tremolo problem BK-7m - faulty midi message? [Re: ]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
Probably a message from MoXF

Chorus or modulation or lfo

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#422633 - 06/27/16 03:55 PM Re: Vibrato/Tremolo problem BK-7m - faulty midi message? [Re: ]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
don't have either, but, are you just using moxf as a controller keyboard for the bk 7m ie bk7m plays styles and melody sounds, or are you using sounds from mofx for melody at the same time as using bk 7 m for styles.
If you're just using it as a controller, you may just need to change some of your midi settings to keep it as simple as possible.
It sounds like maybe mofx is sending out either sysex or control change messages that might be affecting the bk7m.

I can only go by what my pa3x offers as a controller.
Under midi setup, it has a filters tab.
If yours has the same, try filtering "out " sysex ex messages. Or on the bk7 m see if you can stop filter in .
I can also filter out some specific control change messages.

Unfortunately it's been a while since I've played around with midi ing keyboards and modules together, so a tad rusty on the subject.

Just make sure you keep a note on your setup as is at the moment, just so that you can get back to it, if you start fiddling round with settings.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#422634 - 06/27/16 04:26 PM Re: Vibrato/Tremolo problem BK-7m - faulty midi message? [Re: rikkisbears]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: rikkisbears
Hi,
don't have either, but, are you just using moxf as a controller keyboard for the bk 7m ie bk7m plays styles and melody sounds, or are you using sounds from mofx for melody at the same time as using bk 7 m for styles.
If you're just using it as a controller, you may just need to change some of your midi settings to keep it as simple as possible.
It sounds like maybe mofx is sending out either sysex or control change messages that might be affecting the bk7m.

I can only go by what my pa3x offers as a controller.
Under midi setup, it has a filters tab.
If yours has the same, try filtering "out " sysex ex messages. Or on the bk7 m see if you can stop filter in .
I can also filter out some specific control change messages.

Unfortunately it's been a while since I've played around with midi ing keyboards and modules together, so a tad rusty on the subject.

Just make sure you keep a note on your setup as is at the moment, just so that you can get back to it, if you start fiddling round with settings.

Thanks. I've used the combination MoXF + BK-7m for years already, however only occasionally, and this problem had never occurred so far. As now I have a different BK-7m unit (I had sold mine for a BK-9 and meanwhile got a B-ware BK-7m back), I still see a slight risk that it is a malfunction - but maybe I did something with the MoXF now I didn't do the earlier times.

I use the MoXF as the main sound source and the BK-7m primarily for styles, but I often also use its upper/lower live parts in combination with those of the MoXF.
I already planned to do a part of what you're suggesting, especially blocking SySex Rx messages in the BK-7m midi set I use, maybe also effect and modulation messages.
If the problem should ever occur again WITH these midi signals blocked, I fear it could be a warranty case.

#422639 - 06/27/16 10:17 PM Re: Vibrato/Tremolo problem BK-7m - faulty midi message? [Re: ]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi,

What I used to do many years ago , if I had any midi problems , I used to record the keyboards output to a PC sequencer, just to see what messages the keyboard was sending out over midi. That way I was able to study it and try and work out what was going wrong.

Don't know if that might be an option for you.

Nowadays unfortunately the sequencers are so complex and appear to be more orientated towards audio than midi.

Still use my old XG Works sequencer with my win 10 laptop for my style editing/conversions. Run it directly off a USB stick because it's too outdated to be able to be installed , a bit like me haha.

Maybe your settings aren't 100% identical to what you had with your original bk7m?

Nowadays, if I decide to try something weird and whacky like having my band in a box control and play chords for my pa3x, I literally write it down or I know a week later I'll probably forget one of the settings and it won't work.

For me it was just a hobby.

I gather your bk7m has a sequencer? But if I remember correctly it records audio performances not midi? I think Don M told me that , when I was thinking of buying one a few years back.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#422782 - 07/01/16 06:49 AM Re: Vibrato/Tremolo problem BK-7m - faulty midi message? [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

Thanks for your suggestions. Good ideas, just quite time-consuming, but if the problem strikes again, I will try to connect the BK-7m to my Cakewalk Sonar. The BK-7m itself just has an audio WAV recorder, no sequencer. Thanks again!

#422797 - 07/01/16 02:58 PM Re: Vibrato/Tremolo problem BK-7m - faulty midi message? [Re: ]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi
Hopefully a one time problem
Thanks for confirming about , no, midi sequencer on bk7 m
Best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online