SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#422666 - 06/28/16 07:23 PM S950 Tuning Problem
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
It happened again and now I'm concerned. About 45 minutes into my set I was playing along with a SMF of Wonderful World using a piano sound on U1 and an accordion patch on U2. Suddenly keyboard went waveringly out of tune, about 2+ semitones. The midi file played in tune while the live keyboard sounds were out of tune. I shut down and restarted as I did the first time this happened, but the board came back up out of tune. I tried reselecting a couple registrations, but no change. I switched sounds and the keyboard sounded normal enough to play using just keyboard, no styles or files - sounded good/normal. But when I switched to the final SMF I realized the keyboard was still out of kilter.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going wrong? I thought there might be some type of trigger in the SMF, but I've used that file forever. Maybe I've inadvertently hit a button, but in the same song - I'm kinda sure it was the same song. I haven't done any real troubleshooting because I don't know what I'm looking for. HELP! confused2

#422669 - 06/28/16 07:57 PM Re: S950 Tuning Problem [Re: cassp]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Sounds like you have some corrupt midi files. Run them through Michael Bedesem's MIDI Player program, resave them and it shoud solve your problem.

Also, do a minor system restoration by holding down the rightmost white key while powering up the keyboard - just to be on the safe side.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#422677 - 06/28/16 11:22 PM Re: S950 Tuning Problem [Re: cassp]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
highly unlikely it could be a cause, but could you have done something to your pitch bend wheel. Like could it get stuck or something?

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#422679 - 06/29/16 12:10 AM Re: S950 Tuning Problem [Re: rikkisbears]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
And make sure the mod wheel is fully off as well

#422751 - 06/30/16 11:47 AM Re: S950 Tuning Problem [Re: cassp]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I tried playing thru a few SMFs with no problem. I checked the manual. I looked for pitch, bend, and shift but found little. Then I checked to see of the pitchbend wheel might be the culprit and, lo and behold, the wheel doesnt work at all!
Now, this is my second 950, so I don't know for sure if it ever worked, but I thought so.

What would cause the pitch bend not to work? Maybe the problem is in this area.

#422753 - 06/30/16 12:51 PM Re: S950 Tuning Problem [Re: cassp]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The pitch bend wheel, which is nothing more than a spring loaded variable resistor, has three wires running to it. If the center wire somehow became dislodged from the connector, then it would not work at all. It's very easy to get to once you open the case, which is held in place by about two dozen phillips head screws in the bottom of the keyboard. The keyboard opens front to back, somewhat like a book. The pitch bend and modulation wheels are attached to the same printed circuit board, but have separate connections.

As for the original problem, this could be the culprit if the connection is intermittently making contact.

Hope this helps,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#422754 - 06/30/16 12:54 PM Re: S950 Tuning Problem [Re: cassp]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: cassp
I tried playing thru a few SMFs with no problem. I checked the manual. I looked for pitch, bend, and shift but found little. Then I checked to see of the pitchbend wheel might be the culprit and, lo and behold, the wheel doesnt work at all!
Now, this is my second 950, so I don't know for sure if it ever worked, but I thought so.

What would cause the pitch bend not to work? Maybe the problem is in this area.

One thing you could do is set the pitch bend value of the live parts to zero in the registrations you use with that midi file. If the problem about the detune is gone then, it could have been both the faulty wheel or still a faulty midi message from the file.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online