SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#42244 - 01/01/06 11:24 AM Hammond Key Click
vitesse Offline

Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Hi Chaps (and Gals),

As a Hammond nut I have been trying to get a better sound from my KN7000 (better=more B3 /C3 / A100 ish). The stock drawbars are okay but need a little tweaking.

I am trying to get more "key click" into the sound - anyone got any ideas?

I finaly found out how to get a better vibrato using the multi effect, but key click is defeating me. I don't think I am the only one to try and improve the organ sounds - am I?

Any help appreciated

#42245 - 01/02/06 09:06 AM Re: Hammond Key Click
sturgeon Offline

Hi,

Its not exactly my line of country, but if you were to layer your organ sound with a suitable tuned percussion type sound - a marimba perhaps, with a bit of filter tweaking and the right gain level - as in the "PAUL DESMOND SAX SOUND" thread below, you may just come up with a result!

Cheers,

s.

#42246 - 01/02/06 11:19 AM Re: Hammond Key Click
Chris Housley Offline

Hi
I to would like to improve my Drawbar sounds to a good hammond sound along with some Vibrato as well. Would you be able to let me have some of your registrations to try out on my kn7000.
Many thanks.
Chris.

#42247 - 01/02/06 12:16 PM Re: Hammond Key Click
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
I am not sure exactly how a Hammond Key click should sound as I have never owned a Hammond and only occassionally play one but agree that experimenting with a layered sound is probably the way to go. In Sound Explorer, Sound Effects group there is a Flute Key Click sound which might provide a suitable starting point. If you select this and go into Sound Edit you can tweak it to suit. I tried adding the Organ Click from Group M of the basic sounds and also a little White Noise (also from Group M). You can also adjust filtering and effects. Be sure to save your edited sound to the Sound Memory bank and then to disk or SD card. You can then assign your drawbars to Right 1 and the Key Click to Right 2. Alternatively if you wish to use both Right one and 2 for drawbar sounds, assign the Key Click sound to Part 4, and also assign the Technicord to part 4 using the octave setting and adjust part 4 level and octave to suit.

Cheers
Len C.

#42248 - 01/02/06 01:00 PM Re: Hammond Key Click
vitesse Offline

Thanks for the suggestions, I think looking at making a new sound of Hammond key click layering the sounds from the basic group M as suggested (something I haven't tried before) looks to be the best option. This way I can adjust the drawbars and still have the keyclick, rather than having lots of saved Hammond sounds.

When I get somewhere I will let you have a listen and see what you think.

I have been contemplating the Hammond B4 PC sound software but it's another expense when I should be able to get the good old KN7k to get somewhere near.

I'll still hand on to my Hammond T202 tonewheel (heavaly modded) though, but the KN is a bit more portable.

Any more suggestions welcome

HAPPY NEW YEAR All Technics Fans !!!!!

#42249 - 01/02/06 02:45 PM Re: Hammond Key Click
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
When I put out the Vintage Elvis songs a year or so ago, there was a song called, "I Was The One" that has a dozen different organ sounds listed in the sound memory, and two of them are Hammonds. I used to have a disk of Hammond registrations, but it got lost in the shuffle when I moved the last time. The B3 was on that disk, so it was a big loss. If you need the 50 song set, let me know and I will send it. If nothing else, it will give you 50 new styles to add to your style archive.

#42250 - 01/03/06 01:17 AM Re: Hammond Key Click
vitesse Offline

Thanks Bud,

I have the Vintage Organ disk for the KN3000 and the Organ styles disk for the KN6000, I even have the EW03 Keyboards board; it's just I never seem to have enough GOOD Hammond sounds.

I would love to try the Elvis styles and I have emailed you direct. - Thanks

Stephen :-)

[This message has been edited by vitesse (edited 01-03-2006).]

#42251 - 01/05/06 08:47 AM Re: Hammond Key Click
vitesse Offline

Joy and sadness,

Have spent a bit of time looking at the TONE function and had a look at the Keyclick organ in Sound Explorer. What do I find but Organ Click in group M on layer 3 of the sound. I have played around with this and although I need to taylor the envelope across the tonal range - it sounds better. Also applied it to when the key is released but at a much lower level.

Anyone interested I can email the sounds when I'm finished playing around or try it yourself.

Now the sad bit.
Went to look for my floppies of Vintage Hammond for my old KN3000 and found that the disks are corrupted, this one and several others. This shouldn't have been a problem. I trawled though my PC backups for when I bought the disks and only found empty folders. Doh.... I've lost my Vintage Organ, Strictly 70's & Piano, Big Band Hits and my KN7000 Style Conversion disks. I found that someone had put a magnatron magnet (v.v.strong) in a box on top of them. Great. I suppose I thought they were CD cases. About £80 wasted. I hadn't got around to putting them on SD card.

Fortunatly my KN6000 disks underneath were okay. So I have some disks left to put onto SD card

One step forward and three back.

#42252 - 01/05/06 09:34 AM Re: Hammond Key Click
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
vitesse .. that really a bummer !!! ...

I guess I should have read this thread before creating mine, but I would appreciate any drawbar, etc. settings that any of you may have developed ...
thnx,
t.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online