SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#422024 - 06/06/16 12:10 PM An Arranger Live...Sophisticated Karaoke?
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
When I play for a crowd live, I feel like I'm doing Karaoke with the exception that I can vary the beginning, middle and end.

I'm definitely not a band, there's no instruments like guitars(or other instruments) with me(though it does sound like that).

Recently I was reminded that it's about the performance and not the sound.

Two groups from Nashville recently came through to perform. Both used sophisticated background tracks. They played to the audience and both sang and interacted with the audience....$15 a ticket, a few hundred in the audience.

I could have done more with my S970, with more flexibility, than their backing tracks.

I'm starting to think of recording a song on one of my arrangers and going out into the crowd to sing to them. When my wife and I perform, this is what she does....very popular.

I'm not sure if our audiences would care if we were performing from a boom box(well, PA with tracks)or an arranger.

Edited by guitpic1 (06/06/16 12:15 PM)

#422025 - 06/06/16 12:14 PM Re: An Arranger Live...Sophisticated Karaoke? [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: guitpic1
When I play for a crowd live, I feel like I'm doing Karaoke with the exception that I can vary the beginning, middle and end.

I'm definitely not a band, there's no instruments like guitars(or other instruments) with me(though it does sound like that).

Recently I was reminded that it's about the performance and not the sound.

Two groups from Nashville recently came through to perform. Both used sophisticated background tracks. They played to the audience and both sang and interacted with the audience....$15 a ticket, a few hundred in the audience.

I could have done more with my S970, with more flexibility, than their backing tracks.

I'm starting to think of recording a song on one of my arrangers and going out into the crowd to sing to them. When my wife and I perform, this is what she does....very popular.

I'm not sure if our audiences would care if we were performing from a boom box or an arranger.

Now your talking.......funny you now realized whats going on out there today,....it's a sad scene for shure....use the arranger to make the backing tracks with YOUR arrangements etc,.. and go out and enjoy singing with the audiences...have fun and good luck.

#422027 - 06/06/16 02:33 PM Re: An Arranger Live...Sophisticated Karaoke? [Re: guitpic1]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I know it's tough but if you make a living from entertaining people then understand and simply accept that as a fact . Go and entertain your clients anyway that works and get paid . Most clients are not aware of your musicality and don't care . They just want to be entertained .if you can have fun yourself then it's a bonus .

#422028 - 06/06/16 02:40 PM Re: An Arranger Live...Sophisticated Karaoke? [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
guitpic1 ... I recently started doing some gigs with a female vocalist - her gigs, her karaoke equipment - I bring me and my mic ... Some of the backing tracks are great, some a little less ... I find it totally different from using my KB (Pa900) ... I feel that I have more flexibility with the KB, even if I am using my own backing tracks, 'pro' midi files or mp3, or on board styles, and I don't see that much difference in 'relating' to the audience ... all I notice is that I haul a lot less gear when I work with her ... grin
For most of these gigs we are being paid to entertain for an hour, so whatever works, use it ... I still prefer to use my KB, but then, I would also still prefer playing with a live band ... but then, that's just me ...

#422031 - 06/06/16 03:38 PM Re: An Arranger Live...Sophisticated Karaoke? [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I would enjoy performing and entertaining more if I thought people had an inkling of what I'm doing up there! They are so used to hearing DJs and Karaoke that many assume that's what I'm doing.
There is one table sort of behind me, where they can see me playing. Some of them actually have trouble concentrating on their food and iphones because they are fascinated that I'm really playing.
On another related subject, I've noticed SO many people picking up their phones and googling to find out the song I'm playing, or the artist. And they are using them to help them think of songs to request too. I'm hard to stump on the old stuff though. smile

#422032 - 06/06/16 04:07 PM Re: An Arranger Live...Sophisticated Karaoke? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
What DonM said! There was a time, particularly when I was performing/entertaining in high end restaurants in Baltimore's Little Italy, when I actually provided a short demonstration so they would know it was me play, and wildly enough, me singing. Yep, it was hard for me to conceive that there were people in those audiences that thought I was lip syncing the damned songs. At first, I really got pissed off when someone said "It's not him - he's lip syncing." After a while, though, I felt it was kinda flattering when they thought I was as good as the original.

Now that I've retired, I think back at all those performances with fond memories. Whether I was playing a 12-string guitar, or a keyboard, it really didn't make any difference to the audience - they just wanted to be entertained. The ladies were there to dance the night away and have a fun time, the guys were there to hook up with the ladies, get plastered, and did their best to...Oh well, you know what I mean. My best musical attribute has always been my vocals, and even at 75 I can still belt out a tune damned near as good as I did 30 years ago. The big difference is I look older now, and the audiences are looking for younger entertainers, though some prefer us old codgers over the youngsters.

Rog, the bottom line is, in this business, you must first be a great entertainer - not a great musician, though it is an excellent attribute. If you are a great entertainer, you will have all the work you want - if not, you will not last long in the entertainment biz.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#422033 - 06/06/16 06:24 PM Re: An Arranger Live...Sophisticated Karaoke? [Re: guitpic1]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
no I dont think so with midi file or style file we are far ahead of most many just use i Ipad and sing to it I for one play a Grand Piano put my Tyros on top of Grand Mic the Grand and bring in my Tele and do Guitar licks as well so us one man ban guys are not karaoke acts at all I get call ed a DJ once in a while I ask them how many DJ are playing Piano and Guitar and singing !!!!!!!!

#422052 - 06/07/16 11:24 AM Re: An Arranger Live...Sophisticated Karaoke? [Re: musicforyourday]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I'm NOT an entertainer. I am a musician with a real believe that, in addition to sounding good, I have an obligation to educate.

Make it? I do one recording job a week that pays $3,000.00 plus. It's a track for av film update for a major truck manufacturer. I could do 3 (two fast foods and a shipping company)a week, but they're 30 hours straight and I couldn't do it for long. In recent years, the film business has exploded, with fancy UTube productions replacing many printed pieces.

I just laugh when I hear kids saying they can't find a $75.00 job playing Jimmy Buffet.

I play one job I've been on for 7 years...$100.00 an hour, as many hours as I'd like (as many hours as they're open). Usually amounts to 25 hours per week.

The point is, be entertaining, but don't sell out.

Do what works for you, but don't EVER look for me to be using background tracks of any kind.

Arrangers are GREAT, in their place. In my case, it's about 25% of the time.

It's more work for less money (sometimes), or recording of sound/music with no audience. That would not sit well with entertainers, particularly when you're approaching 20 hours, with 11 hours to go before the film debuts in NYC, with no room for error, and plant managers, producers and advertising agency people all arguing about changes.

I say draw your line in the sand and stick to your guns.

Russ

#422062 - 06/07/16 05:16 PM Re: An Arranger Live...Sophisticated Karaoke? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
So, Russ, you make the same amount of money per hour with both jobs, $100 per hour. The only difference is the number of hours it takes to do each job, but the pay scale is the same.

So, if it's a money thing, well, the NH circuit, at least in this part of the world, pays better. When I was working as an entertainer, which I longer do, for 30 hours of work I got paid $3,750 on average, based upon $125 per hour. Now, there were some locations that paid more, up to $150 per hour, which makes it even more attractive, monetarily. Additionally, I didn't have to do any all nighters, burning the candle at both ends in order to meet a deadline. Kinda makes me glad I'm not a musician. wink Just kidding with ya!

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#422084 - 06/08/16 09:12 AM Re: An Arranger Live...Sophisticated Karaoke? [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Gary, broadcast residuals add 50%, depending on the buys. Additional business for design copy and other production doubles that.

It must be different here. I've never heard an entertainer at a local nursing home who wouldn't be run off a real bandstand.

And 12 string is not an instrument of choice for anything I choose to play, although I have several double necks with 12 on top and a 12 Guild for a chords for specific film client.

Thing is, we're all different and I'm as passionate about musicianship as you re about entertaining. You're a much better entertainer. I'm so good I have played myself out of most jobs (LOL).

We're both right, and I'd enjoy our time on a bandstand together out of respect and fellowship. I'd even play Buffet (UGH, GAGG) with you. And ENJOY IT!

Be well,

Russ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online