SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#421786 - 05/29/16 11:45 AM LD Systems Maui 5
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I had a chance to sell my Bose Compacts and come out really well. Tried to get the Maui 5s from Frank, who is always my first choice, but they were on order and I was in need of some very quickly. I was fortunate enough to find a pair from a private seller and bought them, at a very good price I might add.
After four nights using them on the job, I am pleased. It's hard to tell much difference from the Compacts as far as sound. There is a difference, but it's hard to define, and I'm not saying it is better or worse. Perhaps a little more "balls" in the bottom, but that may be because of e.q.
I feel like the Bose has some sort of internal optimizing process going on, because I never needed to add much e.q. to make them sound great. I've found I do need to fiddle with the e.q. a little with the Maui system. It's certainly no problem to do.
One thing I noticed is that there is absolutely no feedback from my mic, athough I'm sitting right in front of them. In the same position, I had to be very careful with the Bose. Again, I feel like they have some internal automatic processing going on. Sometimes they would squeal a little; most of the time they did not. Also, the angle of dispersion on the Maui is slightly less than the Compact, perhaps keeping the sound out of the mic a little better, although I can certainly hear it just fine.
I never set the Bose volume knob past two o'clock. I push the control on the Maui way past that, plus I have increased the volume at the keyboard or mixer. I think it is just in the way they set the optimum input levels. Seems as if the max volume is pretty much the same, although I have not pushed the Mauis to wide open. I have yet to see the overload light come on. It was not uncommon to see it on the Bose if I was really pushing them. If I get in a position to need max volume I will find out!
The primary differences are the additional features and controls, such as Bluetooth, more inputs and a bass level control.
Also the Maui seems to be a little lighter in weight, although the Compacts are certainly light enough.
I have no idea about the longevity or reliability, except that they seem to be very well built. Hope I don't have to find out about factory support, because Bose support is really great!
I suppose the number one advantage is the price!
If you are looking for a line array system that compares quite favorably with the Bose Compact, at way less money, then give Frank a call!
www.audioworksct.com

#421794 - 05/29/16 03:07 PM Re: LD Systems Maui 5 [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Good luck Don... You made a wise choice.... I love Maui 5's!

#421796 - 05/29/16 03:24 PM Re: LD Systems Maui 5 [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

IMO I think the Maui 5 sounds better then the Bose compact, Ive used both,...tighter bass, better mid range especially for vocals and solid highs..EQ, Bluetooth, great cases too. headphone

Edited by Dnj (05/29/16 05:06 PM)

#421798 - 05/29/16 08:49 PM Re: LD Systems Maui 5 [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Of course the cases are extra! However, by transporting the speaker AND the extensions in the bag, it sure makes the bass console lighter. I'm glad they did it that way.

#421806 - 05/30/16 03:13 AM Re: LD Systems Maui 5 [Re: DonM]
Rfinnshw Offline

Loc: Vero Beach, Florida
Don,
Thanks, as always, for your much appreciated review on the LD Maui 5. It was very helpful to me.

Ron, in Florida bluesbros

Originally Posted By: DonM
I had a chance to sell my Bose Compacts and come out really well. Tried to get the Maui 5s from Frank, who is always my first choice, but they were on order and I was in need of some very quickly. I was fortunate enough to find a pair from a private seller and bought them, at a very good price I might add.
After four nights using them on the job, I am pleased. It's hard to tell much difference from the Compacts as far as sound. There is a difference, but it's hard to define, and I'm not saying it is better or worse. Perhaps a little more "balls" in the bottom, but that may be because of e.q.
I feel like the Bose has some sort of internal optimizing process going on, because I never needed to add much e.q. to make them sound great. I've found I do need to fiddle with the e.q. a little with the Maui system. It's certainly no problem to do.
One thing I noticed is that there is absolutely no feedback from my mic, athough I'm sitting right in front of them. In the same position, I had to be very careful with the Bose. Again, I feel like they have some internal automatic processing going on. Sometimes they would squeal a little; most of the time they did not. Also, the angle of dispersion on the Maui is slightly less than the Compact, perhaps keeping the sound out of the mic a little better, although I can certainly hear it just fine.
I never set the Bose volume knob past two o'clock. I push the control on the Maui way past that, plus I have increased the volume at the keyboard or mixer. I think it is just in the way they set the optimum input levels. Seems as if the max volume is pretty much the same, although I have not pushed the Mauis to wide open. I have yet to see the overload light come on. It was not uncommon to see it on the Bose if I was really pushing them. If I get in a position to need max volume I will find out!
The primary differences are the additional features and controls, such as Bluetooth, more inputs and a bass level control.
Also the Maui seems to be a little lighter in weight, although the Compacts are certainly light enough.
I have no idea about the longevity or reliability, except that they seem to be very well built. Hope I don't have to find out about factory support, because Bose support is really great!
I suppose the number one advantage is the price!
If you are looking for a line array system that compares quite favorably with the Bose Compact, at way less money, then give Frank a call!
www.audioworksct.com
[color:#000099][/color]

#421809 - 05/30/16 04:15 AM Re: LD Systems Maui 5 [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Of course the cases are extra! However, by transporting the speaker AND the extensions in the bag, it sure makes the bass console lighter. I'm glad they did it that way.

Round/Tall Barrel cases are thick and padded with heavy duty zippers...inside 4 individual pockets hold the three poles and power cords accessories etc,..Sub case sldies right over the top same thick quality fits perfect with a cut out for the handle. I highly recommend the LD Maui 5 cases for all. cool2

Attachments
1453745733000_IMG_579113.jpg

1453745733000_IMG_579114.jpg

Edited by Dnj (05/30/16 04:20 AM)

#421810 - 05/30/16 04:21 AM Re: LD Systems Maui 5 [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

cool2

Attachments
1453745733000_IMG_579116.jpg

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online