Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
wink

#421477 - 05/19/16 09:34 PM Re: Montage Forum? [Re: AlenK]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: AlenK
Originally Posted By: rosetree
Looking at the latest posts I would have thought this was the Yamaha Montage forum. Wouldn't Montage posts have been better placed in the dedicated Yamaha Discussion forum under the Synth category? Don't get me wrong. I love the information, just think it would be better somewhere else.

It was my initiative two months ago to start discussing synthesizers here in the general forum. Before, everything was discussed in the general arranger forum, which didn't really fit there of course.
I suggested shifting the discussion here, because all the manufacturer-related forums like Yamaha, Roland etc. are hardly visited by anyone.

Such a policy isn't going to make those forums any more useful. They might as well not be there. Despite its name Synth Zone seems to have diverged from its original purpose and the primary traffic for several years has been about arrangers (I'm guessing a >10:1 ratio). Since the arranger forums are where most people are posting - and the General Arranger forum most of all - I'm not at all surprised that discussions of synths ended up there. It's nice to move them away but if they're all going to be here why even allow news posts in the manufacturer-specific forums? They will just confuse things.

There is a reason for all of this....

There are dozens of forums all over the world to discuss synths of all brands..

But this is the only English language forum thats not related to a singel brand where people can discuss arrangers... and thats why only the arranger part of this forum is alive, and kept alive by a small tight knit community...

People visiting these boards frequently these days all are arranger players or have been. and even the Montage topics and opinions on this board are mostly driven by arranger players Povs.

I am soryy, but if you are looking for a place to discuss synths, there are better places then synthzone forums...

If i was Nigel, i would reorganise the Forums.. keeping just this General Synth forum.. and the arranger forums.. But then , thats probably more work then its worth and the cutrrent situation isnt hurting anyone

http://keyszone.boards.net

#421478 - 05/19/16 10:50 PM Re: Montage Forum? [Re: Bachus]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: Bachus

If i was Nigel, i would reorganise the Forums.. keeping just this General Synth forum.. and the arranger forums.. But then , thats probably more work then its worth and the current situation isnt hurting anyone

Back when all the manufacturer forums were created and were being used was before 2000 when most manufacturers still hadn't provided online forums and there were very few places to discuss keyboards. Of course over the years manufacturers finally caught on and added their own forums. But I leave them here rather than remove them because they contain a lot of info for older synths and I feel like I should preserve that and not remove it. Some people still acquire old keyboards and the info can be useful for them.

#421480 - 05/20/16 03:41 AM Re: Montage Forum? [Re: Nigel]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Nigel
........But I leave them here rather than remove them because they contain a lot of info for older synths and I feel like I should preserve that and not remove it. Some people still acquire old keyboards and the info can be useful for them.

BRAVO! clap
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#421486 - 05/20/16 08:11 AM Re: Montage Forum? [Re: Nigel]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Nigel

If i was Nigel, i would reorganise the Forums.. keeping just this General Synth forum.. and the arranger forums.. But then , thats probably more work then its worth and the current situation isnt hurting anyone

Back when all the manufacturer forums were created and were being used was before 2000 when most manufacturers still hadn't provided online forums and there were very few places to discuss keyboards. Of course over the years manufacturers finally caught on and added their own forums. But I leave them here rather than remove them because they contain a lot of info for older synths and I feel like I should preserve that and not remove it. Some people still acquire old keyboards and the info can be useful for them.

Thats a good idea... Removing all that imformation would be a waste indeed, there could be quite a lot of unique information in there...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#421507 - 05/20/16 08:07 PM Re: Montage Forum? [Re: Bachus]
AlenK Offline

Loc: Great White North
Thats a good idea... Removing all that imformation would be a waste indeed, there could be quite a lot of unique information in there...

Agree wholeheartedly. I was suggesting just locking them from new posts and directing the synth discussion traffic here if this is where the synth action is going to be.

BTW, the idea that the synth discussions here are from an arranger perspective is a good thing, IMO. As stated there are dozens of places to hear opinions based on other perspectives (such as EDM).

#421511 - 05/20/16 11:14 PM Re: Montage Forum? [Re: AlenK]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA

Agree wholeheartedly. I was suggesting just locking them from new posts and directing the synth discussion traffic here if this is where the synth action is going to be.

BTW, the idea that the synth discussions here are from an arranger perspective is a good thing, IMO. As stated there are dozens of places to hear opinions based on other perspectives (such as EDM).

If someone wants to ask a question about an older keyboard I want them to be able to do that. There is not much going on there so I don't think locking them would redirect many posts at all.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online