SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#42094 - 03/04/01 01:35 PM TECHNICS KN2000 - Problems loading MIDI files
Anonymous
Unregistered

Most of the midi files I copied for a friend who has a TECHNICS KN2000 Keyboard fail to load. Error message is "File convert error". NB: The files that failed to load were in FORMAT 1 so I used CAKEWALK EXPESS on my PC to convert to FORMAT 0 using the save as function changing options from FORMAT 1 to FORMAT 0. NB: I verfied it had changed to FORMAT 0 my reopening the file and then checking options box on save as.

The converted file still failed to load on the TECHNICS Keyboard ...same error.

Is there another software product other than Cakewalk Express I could use to check and change midi file formats

#42095 - 03/04/01 06:37 PM Re: TECHNICS KN2000 - Problems loading MIDI files
MusicTutor Offline

Loc: Silver City, New Mexico USA
Abe, I have a KN2000 and have no problems with loading MIDI files. The Kn2000 saves in MIDI 0 format but can load either type 0 or type 1, but it has a limitation of 40K max file size.

I use either "Power Tracks Pro" (very similar to CakeWalk) or Voyetra "MIDI Orchestrator". Both work fine.
Maybe your files have more than 16 tracks or channels. If so, you will have to merge some tracks to get down to 16.
CakeWalk should work fine, something else must be wrong.
Good Luck,
Walt

#42096 - 03/04/01 06:44 PM Re: TECHNICS KN2000 - Problems loading MIDI files
MusicTutor Offline

Loc: Silver City, New Mexico USA
Abe, another thought. The KN2000 is particular about how the disk is formatted.
I have not had any problems using re-formatted 1.44 disks with tape over the hole as long as they are formatted by DOS (not windows).
Restart your computor in DOS mode and at the prompt, type: FORMAT A:/U/F:720
Copy the files to that disk using windows explorer and see if that works.
Walt

#42097 - 03/15/01 04:06 PM Re: TECHNICS KN2000 - Problems loading MIDI files
Anonymous
Unregistered

With further diagnosis...I have found it is only some midi format 1 files that do not load. The error I get is 'File Convert error'
I also get the same error from any midi files saved with Cakewalk Express. i.e I have taken a midi file that was loading ok on the KN2000 keyboard I then opened and saved the file using cakewalk. The KN2000 will not load the saved file it produces the same File convert error...Do you know what this error means ? NB: It is not listed in the manual. PS: I onlu use 720kb formatted disks.

Abe, I have a KN2000 and have no problems with loading MIDI files. The Kn2000 saves in MIDI 0 format but can load either type 0 or type 1, but it has a limitation of 40K max file size.

I use either "Power Tracks Pro" (very similar to CakeWalk) or Voyetra "MIDI Orchestrator". Both work fine.
Maybe your files have more than 16 tracks or channels. If so, you will have to merge some tracks to get down to 16.
CakeWalk should work fine, something else must be wrong.
Good Luck,
Walt
[/QUOTE]

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online