SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#420788 - 05/01/16 11:24 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: Bachus]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Bachus

We are not talking about mere midi apps.... We are talking about using the tablet as a full integrated part of the keyboard... I.e. Replacing the screen of the keyboard.. So the keyboard has more room for switches buttons knobs and other controll elements....

That's certainly desirable, I am trying to imagine whether this is difficult to develop or not. Apparently so far most or all apps are midi-based, so this seems to be the cheapest way (but with too many restrictions)... Could the apps be programmed to act as part of the instrument's OS and communicate via USB without midi? Or would it be sufficient to implement enough midi SySex messages to make it behave like an internal screen?

#420789 - 05/01/16 11:45 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree
Originally Posted By: Bachus

We are not talking about mere midi apps.... We are talking about using the tablet as a full integrated part of the keyboard... I.e. Replacing the screen of the keyboard.. So the keyboard has more room for switches buttons knobs and other controll elements....

That's certainly desirable, I am trying to imagine whether this is difficult to develop or not. Apparently so far most or all apps are midi-based, so this seems to be the cheapest way (but with too many restrictions)... Could the apps be programmed to act as part of the instrument's OS and communicate via USB without midi? Or would it be sufficient to implement enough midi SySex messages to make it behave like an internal screen?

Midi is not an option if you want to do this right... Midi protocol is old.. And has to many disadvantages

Its however not hard to program, its straighforward calls from hardware to the ipad over USB... And vice versa...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#420790 - 05/01/16 11:54 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: DonM
I think I had a Yamaha that had tilt screen. Maybe PSR 6100 or 6300?

This thing was fantastic in its time. Still had to use midi drums and sounds, but at least it generated a drum and bass track with basic strums. As I recall, every style part was output on it's own midi channel. At the time, I thought that was really cool. Backup was by cassette tape!

#420792 - 05/01/16 12:14 PM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: DonM]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I had one in the mid 80's. Everyone thought it sounded great at the time. It just shows you that we think our kb sounds great until something better comes along to spoil it. I knew innovation is great but expensive. If I recall correctly, the 6100 was not cheap.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online