Topic Options
#420730 - 04/30/16 08:17 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: Bachus]
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Originally Posted By: Bachus
Originally Posted By: Mikem
From Rosetree's comment: "BK-9 has everything the G70 had, and much better sounds in addition, with the exception of the lack of an SRX slot."

That's too bad. It would have been great to have slots for the SRX expansions. Better yet, it should have had all the sounds of the SRX boards built-in. In your case, however, you have the Integra-7, so it's not a problem. smile

Thats not entirely true, the G70 also has a vocaliser on board, which is not on the BK-9, also the keybed of the G70 was awesome, i dont know if the same keybed made the BK-9.... and there is more... The G70 had 1bass , 2 left and 3 right hand sounds... Which is still the most of any Arranger out there.... Also the G70 had some nice style features, cover and make-up tools from which atleast 1 didnt make it to the BK-9 and some more smaller features which didnt make the BK9

Stating that the difference is only the SRX slot, falls short by half a mile, and not really fair to the venerable G70 that was way ahead of its time when released...

Too bad Roland tends to drop good features in new keyboards. As far as sound quality goes, from what I've read, the BK-9 is better, though.

Yes, espescially because of the newer samples, supernaturall sounds and 5sfx versus 1 on the G70... Most people agree the bk9 sounds better.

Thanks, Bachus!

#420731 - 04/30/16 08:38 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: Mikem]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: rosetree
Thanks for that detailed breakdown. smile

So, if I understand you correctly, the 1,100 sounds that are identical in both units actually sound better on the BK-9?

No, the additional 600 sounds make the difference. I think the identical 1,100 sounds really sound identical. I'm not sure if there's a noticeable difference in the effects, I haven't noticed any, but I don't think there's a difference in the sample quality of those 1,100 sounds. (Small surprising exception: the BK-7m even has one tiny advantage: it has two or three so-called "Natural sounds" - a simpler type of "SN" sounds: at least one sax and one trombone. Their pitch bend reacts with natural scales. This feature has been eliminated in these 2 or 3 sounds in the BK-9 probably due to the 22 SN sounds - however these 22 SN sounds don't include such a trombone and a different (worse!) sax.)

Great to know! So the BK-7m is a very good-sounding arranger, except for those acoustic guitars, unfortunately, which I don't like.

As a side note, some forum members had asked a while ago if the BK-5 was as good as the BK-7. I tried the BK-5 in a store and thought it sounded pretty awful. It does not compare to the BK-7m at all.

Thanks for your response, Rosetree. smile

I would say: BK-7m is a good-sounding arranger module, but the differences to BK-9 are very audible not only regarding acoustic guitars, but also string sections and somewhat brass sections, and the hundreds of additional sounds from SonicCell and others provide more versatile choices in any sound categories.

#420732 - 04/30/16 09:23 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Mikem Offline

Thanks again for your comments, Rosetree.

I'll keep these in mind. smile

#420737 - 04/30/16 01:34 PM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

Thanks for that detailed breakdown. smile

So, if I understand you correctly, the 1,100 sounds that are identical in both units actually sound better on the BK-9?

No, the additional 600 sounds make the difference. I think the identical 1,100 sounds really sound identical. I'm not sure if there's a noticeable difference in the effects, I haven't noticed any, but I don't think there's a difference in the sample quality of those 1,100 sounds. (Small surprising exception: the BK-7m even has one tiny advantage: it has two or three so-called "Natural sounds" - a simpler type of "SN" sounds: at least one sax and one trombone. Their pitch bend reacts with natural scales. This feature has been eliminated in these 2 or 3 sounds in the BK-9 probably due to the 22 SN sounds - however these 22 SN sounds don't include such a trombone and a different (worse!) sax.)

Great to know! So the BK-7m is a very good-sounding arranger, except for those acoustic guitars, unfortunately, which I don't like.

As a side note, some forum members had asked a while ago if the BK-5 was as good as the BK-7. I tried the BK-5 in a store and thought it sounded pretty awful. It does not compare to the BK-7m at all.

Thanks for your response, Rosetree. smile

I would say: BK-7m is a good-sounding arranger module, but the differences to BK-9 are very audible not only regarding acoustic guitars, but also string sections and somewhat brass sections, and the hundreds of additional sounds from SonicCell and others provide more versatile choices in any sound categories.

Actually where the BK7m is concerned, most people might not beinterested in the solo sounds, but only in the style quallity... You could use a bk7m on top of any key you want, roland fa08, jupiter80, rd800, yamaha moxf or Montage, Korg Kronos or Nord stage..

So is there much difference between the stle quallity of bk7m and bk9...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#420742 - 04/30/16 04:11 PM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: PraiseTheLord]
rosetree
Unregistered

For the styles, the difference in sounds plays a smaller role of course. The arrangements are largely the same. For the acoustic guitars in the styles I think there is a difference, even if the BK-9 doesn't makes use of the SN-A guitars as style parts, but it has better acoustic guitars in the ordinary PCM sounds, too.

I just prepared a short live Beethoven symphonic orchestra demo with my BK-9 - the BK-9 sounds amazingly good here, and this is where the BK-7m would be dramatically worse.

Edited by rosetree (04/30/16 04:12 PM)

#420744 - 04/30/16 04:26 PM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
Mikem Offline

For the styles, the difference in sounds plays a smaller role of course. The arrangements are largely the same. For the acoustic guitars in the styles I think there is a difference, even if the BK-9 doesn't makes use of the SN-A guitars as style parts, but it has better acoustic guitars in the ordinary PCM sounds, too.

I just prepared a short live Beethoven symphonic orchestra demo with my BK-9 - the BK-9 sounds amazingly good here, and this is where the BK-7m would be dramatically worse.

Will we find it on YouTube, SoundCloud or here?

#420745 - 04/30/16 04:37 PM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: PraiseTheLord]
rosetree
Unregistered

Newest one on Youtube.
Direct link is https://youtu.be/m_-oT8B1rV8

#420747 - 04/30/16 05:04 PM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Mikem Offline

Nicely played! The sounds are good and remind me of your previous Integra-7 demos. I guess it's due to the String sounds that are from the SRX.

How do you think it fares against the Integra-7?

The advantage with the BK-9 is that it has keys!

Good work and keep them coming!

#420753 - 05/01/16 01:55 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

Newest one on Youtube.

Makes the bk9 shine indeed

I would love to hear that with the hall of a cathedrall...

Edited by Bachus (05/01/16 02:00 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#420754 - 05/01/16 02:42 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: Bachus]
rosetree
Unregistered

Newest one on Youtube.

Makes the bk9 shine indeed

I would love to hear that with the hall of a cathedrall...

You will laugh, I already got 3 thumbs down for it, there are enough trolls on Youtube, I tell you rating on Youtube are so ridiculous I've long set it to invisible. Hate of classical music, stubborn rejection of certain brands, mutual thumbs up by the hundreds of home players sometimes even for poor renditions. Meanwhile I would be embarrassed to get too many thumbs up.
The reverb: it is already set to long reverb and high level. Even more would make it extremely wet.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online