SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#420170 - 04/21/16 06:00 AM Casio MZX-500 .., My initial thoughts! **UPDATED**
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I've had my Casio MZX500 since Tuesday morning, so I thought I'd share my thoughts with the group.

Design/Build Quality: Love the design of this keyboard. A great benefit is that 99% of the control panel is tilted toward the player. Granted this may be an issue for some who will be looking for a dedicated carry bag/case, but it's certainly a welcomed feature IMO.

The build quality is actually better than I expected. It doesn't feel cheaply made. The data dial and the real-time control knobs are solid. I didn't expect the quality of these knobs. There isn't much wiggle to them, and they're rubber coated. They are also continuous rotary encoders! The MZ (just like its older sibling the MZ-2000 also has 9 faders/sliders) that double as hands on control for the drawbar organ mode and other various features (such as control over the elements within the Hex Layer tones). The sliders have very little side to side movement and feel quite solid. Again.., another unexpected surprise. The body (as expected) is plastic, but from what I can tell, the plastic is quite robust. I'd put it up against many of the more expensive plastic bodied keyboards out there in this area.

Key Action: The keys are the current box style keys found on other Casio models. They're not bad.., and to be honest.., I can't say they're either better or worse than the PSR brand action. I will say one thing though. Casio has done a hell of a job matching the keys velocity sensitivity to the tone engine. I'll explain more in the sounds section. One very missed feature that was present on the MZ-2000 is aftertouch.

Interface: Casio has nailed this one hard. I'm still blown away that Casio is now using color touch screens. Casio's response to the addition made perfect sense too.., as that they're already in the business of producing color touch displays in other divisions, and that utilizing technology they've already developed (in other Casio products) for their keyboard line was a logical move. The touch screen is awesome! Very easy to read. The layout is intuitive, and it has greatly simplified the ease of operation (not to say that Casio's are, or were hard to use), but the screen just works, and works very well. It's not relying entirely on the display either (a good thing IMO).

Sounds: Ok, where to begin here... The sounds on the MZX line has been one of the most controversial issues since the keyboard was announced. Not because we "heard" them and deemed the board wasn't up to snuff either. It was quite the opposite. All the demo vids were showing the boards synth abilities, which led many to speculate that this is not a traditional arranger keyboard. I feel confident in saying that the MZX-500 is every bit of a traditional arranger.

What Casio has done is brilliant. They did what NO other company is doing for their arranger division.., and that's appealing to the youth. This has been a big issue with arranger keyboards for years. The acoustic sounds are there. Casio is just widening the market here.

The Pianos really impressed me. Casio has come a very long way with the quality of their pianos. One HUGE issue that has plagued Casio's entire line (including their higher end digital pianos) is piano samples with a very short decay. This is no longer an issue. The decay has greatly improved on the pianos. There's a good selection of them too. I'm going to explain the velocity issue I brought up earlier. This is actually a very positive issue too. I don't know how they did it.., but MAN I'M BLOWN AWAY at how expressive the pianos are. Casio has done an amazing job at mating the velocity response to the samples. I'm very impressed with this.., you really see how expressive they are when playing softly. Good job Casio!

EP's are just amazing. That's all I can say there. Good selection, great sounding, and some of them bite hard when you spank them.

Strings and orchestral vary from very good to a few doosies. The new string samples are quite nice though. There's even a new solo oboe that's quite beautiful sounding. Other traditional orchestral instruments such as flutes, ect are also quite good. Very usable IMO.

Guitars/Basses.., wow thee guitar selection is very good. There are clearly new samples here. Casio has really nailed some of these guitars. We're not talking SA quality (but Casio has done something along that line that I will explain further down). However, the nylons are good, acoustics are good, some of the jazz guitars are amazing. Electric and distortion are also done very well. Casio is really nailing the Wah effect with these guitars.

Bass guitars are very good IMO. Love the sound of several fingered bass guitars. Casio is also utilizing velocity switching more (which is nice to see). Synth basses are just downright killer (and when the editing options are applied.., the synth basses are just really impressive).

Saxes.., well.., not much to say here but DAMN. The original MZ's saxes were amazing. That caries over to the MZX line. The only one (as with the original) that still could use a little more TLC is the solo sop sax. It's not bad and it's certainly usable, but would benefit from newer samples on Casio's end.

Organs.., JUST WOW! Casio's organ drawbar mode is amazing. A very good selection of organ sounds, and they sound great IMO. This has always been a strong point on the Casio boards IMO since the MZ-2000.

Synth Sounds.., I don't even know where to start here. The synth sounds on this keyboard are unreal. Casio should win an award for the synth section alone. The editing features available on this keyboards synth engine means that the Casio MZX-500 sits right up there with the best IMO. The Hex Layer mode is so impressive. This Casio isn't the typical set up where you get Upper 1/2, Lower 1/2 (which it does have by the way). The Hex Layer is a 6 osc synth engine folks. Yes you heard that right. The editing features are mind blowing. Casio really has something special in this area.

Drums.., they are a mixed bag. They're not bad, but the word "meh" comes to mind with a few acoustic kits. I will say that "bravo to Casio" because there are new acoustic kits with new snare samples, ect. This is something that was greatly needed for the Casio drums. There are new acoustic sets, but some of the older Casio acoustic drum kits are in there too. Again.., not terrible, but at least Casio has included new kits.

The electronic EDM kits are VERY GOOD! There are obviously new kits in this area. Casio has done an amazing job with the EDM kits. Very up to date sounding, and I know the youth drawn to this board will be smiling ear to ear when using them in songs.

IMPORTANT INFO: I'm dedicating this section to a feature that I still can't believe is in this Casio keyboard. It's related to the drums. Casio has done it folks. This isn't even a well advertised feature. Casio has included FULL DRUM KIT EDITING on the MZX-500. When I say full that's just what I mean. I'm not talking some basic drum settings that are global in their application. I'm talking FULL INDEPENDENT editing down to the individual instruments within a kit. You can create FULLY CUSTOMBIZABLE kits and editing each key individually. The kit library is open freely in editing. Don't like the snare on a kit.., think the snare sounded better on the previous kit, but don't want to lose the bass drums on the current kit. No problem..., you can swap out that snare with the sound from the other kit. It's that simple. Plus you get detailed editing over each sound in the kit.., again settings that are independent (not global). Snare sounds too tight.., well.., course and fine tuning are available to change that.

Endless possibilities folks. Just that option alone opens up so much for these Casio drums. Well done Casio!

Style: Ok.., the plot thickens. I'm going to hit the obvious. This Casio IMO is probably the best arranger on the market currently that would appeal to the younger generation for modern EDM styles. To be honest.., I nearly fell out of my chair when I heard some of them. No doubt.., they sound like what you currently hear in the industry. Casio has nailed this area.

Just like the original MZ we now have 4 variations per style with several endings and intros! A very much needed feature Casio brought back to their arranger line. Here's the thing. If traditional styles are your thing.., this Casio is choc full of them. They're all there, and Casio isn't nudging off a particular part of their market. Your jazz, big band, blues, rock, polka, ect are all there. I will say there is a very good selection of Latin styles.

Casio has improved the quality of their styles. Are they on par with the big dogs? No.., and it doesn't mean the traditional styles are bad. They are VERY usable IMO. One thing I really love about them is the simplicity. That's my biggest problem with other arrangers...., there is just too damn much going on in the styles that I always find myself muting many of the parts (too busy). Some brands defaults make it feel like you're competing for a spot in the styles.

IMPORTANT INFO: Casio has joined the playing field with a particular type of voice now that's present in some styles. There are tones now called Versatile Tones. Folks, simply put.., Casio is using "mega" style voices now. Some of the styles use these voices, and from what I can tell, it's like Yamaha's used to be where they had specific voices designated for style use, but not intended to be played manually (even though they're selectable from the voice list). There are guitars in styles using slides, body taps, string noise, ect. There are even bass and electric guitars set up this way. I'm very intrigued by this because that tells me that Casio will probably be using this in later style packs ect. Great move into the modern area Casio! Long overdue, but greatly appreciated.

Overall folks, I think the board is well worth the money. I'm a person who does a lot of editing. I create a lot of original material (sounds, and styles). This board will make a great addition to my set up.

Sqk

UPDATED:

Pads: I'll start by saying "all other arranger makers better pay attention to what Casio has just done here". Casio has literally broken the mold with the arranger keyboard by adding the pads. The level of customization available for these pads puts the MZX-500 on a completely different level. These pads have multiple functions, and more than one function can be assigned to a pad.

You can use them to play drums, trigger chords, phrases, samples, they sync to the keyboards internal midi clock as well. They are also touch sensitive. You can set them for one shot, or hold. These pads literally add an entire new level of performance to an arranger keyboard an open up possibilities we've not seen on them. Casio has truly integrated workstation (and at times what feels like MPC) performance abilities.., which without a doubt bring the arranger keyboard into the modern era. Those into EDM (and even traditional arranger players) will certainly appreciate these pads.

Sampling: Yet another very interesting addition to the Casio MZX. You can sample in several ways. You can sample from outside sources by direct line in, or use of a mic. You can also sample internally. Meaning you can record phrases directly to the pads, and have a host of available features from that area as well. Off hand I can't recall what the internal memory is, but I think (don't quote me) you can use up to a 32GB stick. I'd strongly suggest downloading the manual as there is just way too much available in this area to cover in this review. It's worth the read though.

Speakers: Great sounding speaker system. Plenty of low end and as expected you get a master EQ to adjust it to your liking (speaker grills are metal).

Connections: THANK YOU CASIO! Not only does this unit have USB, but Casio didn't deny us old heads the option to use standard midi jacks! You get 1/4" L/R outputs, individual mic and line inputs, and an audio input jack with its own volume (1/8" jack on this one). There are two pedal inputs.., sustain and expression. The headphone jack is 1/4" and on the front (where it should be IMO).

Edited by squeak_D (04/21/16 10:31 AM)
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#420174 - 04/21/16 06:34 AM Re: Casio MZX-500 .., My initial thoughts! [Re: squeak_D]
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
Thanks Sqk

I did enjoy reading it. How do you feel about the "Style Creation" feature ? Do they have more than the usual "Switch Part out, Switch Part in " ?

Ron

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#420176 - 04/21/16 06:42 AM Re: Casio MZX-500 .., My initial thoughts! [Re: rphillipchuk]
squeak_D Offline

Fully editable styles. All the way down to creating one from scratch. Very versatile IMO.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#420177 - 04/21/16 06:43 AM Re: Casio MZX-500 .., My initial thoughts! [Re: squeak_D]
Dnj Offline

Awesome review Squeak thanx...didnt expect any less from you. enjoy yoru new MZ x500 hope to hear more as you go along..

What about getting more styles from where?
You dint talk much about the PADS & their functions etc,..?
and what about storage for registration setups etc, & access to them in real time? Does it have a Mic processor also?

Edited by Dnj (04/21/16 06:45 AM)

#420178 - 04/21/16 06:43 AM Re: Casio MZX-500 .., My initial thoughts! [Re: rphillipchuk]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
squeak ... so I guess you are saying you like this board ... grin
have fun with it ...

#420180 - 04/21/16 06:55 AM Re: Casio MZX-500 .., My initial thoughts! [Re: Dnj]
squeak_D Offline

Donny.., I'll add to the review later toady about tha pads and address your other questions (I will say that NO other arranger on the market comes close to what these pads have added to an arranger keyboard).

Edited by squeak_D (04/21/16 06:57 AM)

#420182 - 04/21/16 07:29 AM Re: Casio MZX-500 .., My initial thoughts! [Re: squeak_D]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Squeak, how do you compare the Synth sounds of the MZX as opposed to the MOXF you have?

thanks

#420188 - 04/21/16 08:29 AM Re: Casio MZX-500 .., My initial thoughts! [Re: squeak_D]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Thanks for the review. Sound like a good excuse to replace my ctk 7200 with the MZX 500 smile

#420189 - 04/21/16 08:31 AM Re: Casio MZX-500 .., My initial thoughts! [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Awesome review Squeak thanx...didnt expect any less from you. enjoy yoru new MZ x500 hope to hear more as you go along..

What about getting more styles from where?

Did you miss the fact that you can import any Yamaha style into the instrument? No more getting stuck with a few build in styles, but access to the worlds biggest database of user-styles

I really enjoyed this review so far, and if they ever release an 88 key version of it with aftertouch i will be very interested in it...

I hope to see more of these possitive reviews .... also hoping to hear some traditionall styles in high quallity audio...

Edited by Bachus (04/21/16 08:34 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#420190 - 04/21/16 08:54 AM Re: Casio MZX-500 .., My initial thoughts! [Re: Bachus]
tom moon Offline

Loc: Haddonfield, NJ, USA
I'm curious about the sampling....if you have a drum pattern from the Motif or whereever, can you sample directly into the Casio? and then trigger it from a pad?

and then save the sample as part of a registration?

also, how easy is it to create a triggered pad using the existing drum sounds? will this loop? (that's a problem with yamaha audio styles...)

thanks for the review, can't wait to hear more....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online