SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#419589 - 04/10/16 03:41 PM Orchestral Accompaniment of Operettas MoXF/Integra
rosetree
Unregistered

This weekend I accompanied a soprano performing operetta and musical tunes, using the orchestral sounds of my MoXF and Integra, mostly
- MoXF CP1 piano
- MoXF Garritan GPO Lite woodwinds
- MoXF Garritan GPO Lite strings (combined with Motif section strings)
- Integra SRX 10 French Horns.

Here's an excerpt of two operetta tunes with these sounds:

https://soundcloud.com/rorosetree/live-demo-operettas-moxf-integra-live-orchestra-accompaniment

#419701 - 04/12/16 06:15 AM Re: Orchestral Accompaniment of Operettas MoXF/Integra [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

I posted this to get some opinions about the orchestral sounds I used, particularly the Garritan for Motif woodwinds and strings. So I hope Mikem or others give an assessment.

#419736 - 04/12/16 06:03 PM Re: Orchestral Accompaniment of Operettas MoXF/Integra [Re: ]
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Very nice playing! The orchestral sounds are realistic, however they seem to come from further back, so they aren't too pronounced.
This makes it harder to hear, but I understand that in a live setting it's hard to get the right balance.

The combination of the sounds gives the impression of a real orchestra. Well done, and thanks for posting. smile

#419786 - 04/13/16 06:36 PM Re: Orchestral Accompaniment of Operettas MoXF/Integra [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

Thank you!
I think it's hardly possible to get the orchestral sounds as clear via speakers as they are via headphones - and much less if they are additionally recorded via air from the speakers. Additionally, I had to place my Olympus recorder at the side of the speakers, not in front of them, which adds to the indirect sound.

From the angle of the audience, a higher volume of my sounds would have buried the vocals too much, some already said it was a bit too loud at times.

Another factor is that, as I played everything completely live, I was forced to layer a lot, all woodwinds and later woodwings + strings sound simultaneously, whereas a real orchestra would have different solo voices for clarinet, oboe, flute etc. The only way to partially improve this would be having an "ensemble voice" feature available like in Tyros 5 so that at least the woodwinds would be split into separate solo voices - but I'm not sure it would really work out, especially when I also play the piano part simultaneously, use the sustain pedal, play very dense chords with many keys (typical for operetta) and therefore having a lot of keys sound at the same time.

Edited by rosetree (04/13/16 06:37 PM)

#419787 - 04/13/16 07:11 PM Re: Orchestral Accompaniment of Operettas MoXF/Integra [Re: ]
Mikem Offline

Maybe, the opera singer should also double as the pianist! smile

Seriously, though, it sounds complex. Having another musician would have been much easier. The Tyros 5 with its Ensemble voices would have come in handy for one of you, while the other would have played piano.

Good job, especially with all those voices. smile

#419799 - 04/14/16 02:59 AM Re: Orchestral Accompaniment of Operettas MoXF/Integra [Re: ]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Here are some videos that may give you some ideas. (All the music is played on the old OAS system)

Enjoy

Bill

#419802 - 04/14/16 04:57 AM Re: Orchestral Accompaniment of Operettas MoXF/Integra [Re: Mikem]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Mikem
Maybe, the opera singer should also double as the pianist! smile

Seriously, though, it sounds complex. Having another musician would have been much easier. The Tyros 5 with its Ensemble voices would have come in handy for one of you, while the other would have played piano.

Good job, especially with all those voices. smile

Well, that's our unique selling point (in our region) - achieving this sound played live with just one player. wink I just bought an additional 17-key pedal to add live basses.

#419804 - 04/14/16 07:00 AM Re: Orchestral Accompaniment of Operettas MoXF/Integra [Re: ]
Mikem Offline

Abacus, the above videos are very well done. Regarding your U.S.P. Rosetree, I think that's smart marketing. You have to differentiate yourself.

You want to add a pedal for bass, too? Wow! I can barely even use my two hands!

Edited by Mikem (04/14/16 07:00 AM)

#419806 - 04/14/16 07:30 AM Re: Orchestral Accompaniment of Operettas MoXF/Integra [Re: abacus]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: abacus
Here are some videos that may give you some ideas. (All the music is played on the old OAS system)

Enjoy

Bill

I had often watched these videos with Rene Kollo and Claudia Hirschfeld before.
I think this is quite close to what I do, sometimes I also have a second keyboard, and as I said I'm going to add a 17-key pedal, too, so I'm exactly in the Claudia Hirschfeld way (a full pedal would be too much to carry of course).
Regarding the sounds, I don't think her Wersi has any advantages to my MoXF/Garritan/Integra sounds, although these videos are from 2009, probably things have further improved.

#419821 - 04/14/16 10:05 AM Re: Orchestral Accompaniment of Operettas MoXF/Integra [Re: ]
Hal2001 Offline

Loc: U.S.
Bravo to all the music makers and the fine keyboards they play. Thanks Rosetree. There are so many variables with recording technique as well as playing technique that it's sometimes difficult to determine what sounds and qualities are attributed to which variables. As in any scientific experiment, a lot of aspects, have to be kept constant to analyze a specific quality. That's usually difficult to control.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online