SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#419388 - 04/07/16 02:52 PM Ketron SD40 and Satisfaction Level of SD7 Users
rosetree
Unregistered

As Ketron states in the SD40 PDF brochure that the new module will be identical to the SD7(except the obvious differences like missing keys...), I'd like to ask how happy or unhappy SD7 users have lately been. I read that before the 1.1 update in November many complained about unrealiability etc. Has the update finally fixed all the important problems?

As the systems are stated to be identical, the SD40 should benefit from the "beta testing" by SD7 users...

Edited by rosetree (04/07/16 02:55 PM)
Edit Reason: replaced 'of' with 'by'

#419404 - 04/07/16 09:32 PM Re: Ketron SD40 and Satisfaction Level of SD7 Users [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree
As Ketron states in the SD40 PDF brochure that the new module will be identical to the SD7(except the obvious differences like missing keys...), I'd like to ask how happy or unhappy SD7 users have lately been. I read that before the 1.1 update in November many complained about unrealiability etc. Has the update finally fixed all the important problems?

As the systems are stated to be identical, the SD40 should benefit from the "beta testing" by SD7 users...

I allways tought the MidJpro was close enough to the SD7 as a module... Maybe they should have released a module of the SD9 pro?

Hopefully the new interface technollogy of the SD instruments indeed can be bugfree because of all the improvements on the Sd7...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#419421 - 04/08/16 05:08 AM Re: Ketron SD40 and Satisfaction Level of SD7 Users [Re: ]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

As a SD7 owner I would like to say that the SD7 is a very nice keyboard with styles and sounds that are excellent.
I have had glitches when first owning the SD7 but the 1.1 update has cured the ills.

I play the SD7 more than the Tyros 5-76 and the thing that I really like about the SD7 is the beautiful color touchscreen.
I am excited about the new SD9-76 so I am waiting for prices
and demos to appear. The first update was announced too early and caused many owners to sell. Lloyd

#419422 - 04/08/16 05:08 AM Re: Ketron SD40 and Satisfaction Level of SD7 Users [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

As AJ explained in another thread, MidjPro puts the emphasis on the media player functions and therefore several style-related functions are missing, and there are only 146 styles. The SD40 is focussed on styles like the SD7.

#419424 - 04/08/16 06:40 AM Re: Ketron SD40 and Satisfaction Level of SD7 Users [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree
As AJ explained in another thread, MidjPro puts the emphasis on the media player functions and therefore several style-related functions are missing, and there are only 146 styles. The SD40 is focussed on styles like the SD7.

Point taken, tough remains the fact that sd40 lacks some of the things i really like about about the SD9pro...

In the end, i am currently only interested in high end modules or 88 key arrangers...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#419425 - 04/08/16 06:45 AM Re: Ketron SD40 and Satisfaction Level of SD7 Users [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

Deleted

Edited by rosetree (04/08/16 06:48 AM)

#419426 - 04/08/16 07:48 AM Re: Ketron SD40 and Satisfaction Level of SD7 Users [Re: ]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
I got one of the very first SD7s available in the USA. I had never owned a Ketron keyboard and within one week took the SD7 out on it's first gig. I posted a video of that gig on youtube. Since then I have seldom played my Tyros 4. I have owned and gigged with the Yamaha PSR3000, Tyros 3 and Tyros 4, Korgs PA1X and PA1XPro and PA900 and the MicroArranger, Roland E50, and E80 and the BK-7M. None of these products come close to creating the professional sounds I get from my SD7. It is extremely easy and simple to make tweaks to styles and the new color screen is the best I have seen anywhere. So far I have not run into any major issues that would ruin a gig or cause panic on one. Yes, I am a very happy with my SD7. By the way, I gig anywhere from 4 to 6 times every week - usually one hour gigs at Senior venues. Been doing that for 10 years now. What I think this group should know is what kind of positive reaction I am getting from the folks I perform for. They are completely blown away by the feeling and tones of the SD7. For the first time EVER - when I changed keyboards folks could tell the difference. When I asked them which they preferred - the Tyros 4 or the SD7 - 100% choose the SD7. As for styles - I found over 6000 legacy Ketron styles and downloaded them free - then converted them for my SD7. I have now wanted for styles to try out. After finally figuring out how to play styles directly from the thumb drive it was really easy to setup gig play lists or put songs in categories for quick reference. What I thought were OS issues were really my own misunderstanding of how the OS worked. I did experience one or two freeze-up and had to reset the SD7. As it turned out it was a problem with some of the styles I had downloaded. I have never had the SD7 do that using the factory stuff.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents worth.
Deane

#419428 - 04/08/16 09:07 AM Re: Ketron SD40 and Satisfaction Level of SD7 Users [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

Thanks for this helpful assessment, Deane. Sounds really promising to have that quality available as a 4.4 lbs module! I hope it won't take a year or more before it's finally available.

#419441 - 04/08/16 10:35 AM Re: Ketron SD40 and Satisfaction Level of SD7 Users [Re: ]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Rosetree,
I would probably be interested in the SD9 Pro if it had built-in speakers. I am finding the built-in speakers a real "must have" when playing gigs. Many times my gig environments are very noisy and if I can't put my Bose L1 Compact behind me because of space limitations it would be very hard to hear without the built-in speakers - a real plus.

Deane

#428040 - 01/22/17 02:10 AM Re: Ketron SD40 and Satisfaction Level of SD7 Users [Re: hammer]
Dusan Offline

Loc: Slovenija
Originally Posted By hammer
I got one of the very first SD7s available in the USA. I had never owned a Ketron keyboard and within one week took the SD7 out on it's first gig. I posted a video of that gig on youtube. Since then I have seldom played my Tyros 4. I have owned and gigged with the Yamaha PSR3000, Tyros 3 and Tyros 4, Korgs PA1X and PA1XPro and PA900 and the MicroArranger, Roland E50, and E80 and the BK-7M. None of these products come close to creating the professional sounds I get from my SD7. It is extremely easy and simple to make tweaks to styles and the new color screen is the best I have seen anywhere. So far I have not run into any major issues that would ruin a gig or cause panic on one. Yes, I am a very happy with my SD7. By the way, I gig anywhere from 4 to 6 times every week - usually one hour gigs at Senior venues. Been doing that for 10 years now. What I think this group should know is what kind of positive reaction I am getting from the folks I perform for. They are completely blown away by the feeling and tones of the SD7. For the first time EVER - when I changed keyboards folks could tell the difference. When I asked them which they preferred - the Tyros 4 or the SD7 - 100% choose the SD7. As for styles - I found over 6000 legacy Ketron styles and downloaded them free - then converted them for my SD7. I have now wanted for styles to try out. After finally figuring out how to play styles directly from the thumb drive it was really easy to setup gig play lists or put songs in categories for quick reference. What I thought were OS issues were really my own misunderstanding of how the OS worked. I did experience one or two freeze-up and had to reset the SD7. As it turned out it was a problem with some of the styles I had downloaded. I have never had the SD7 do that using the factory stuff.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents worth.
Deane

Deane,

where are you fined that 6000 legacy styles? I am interest too...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online