SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#419283 - 04/06/16 01:07 PM Roland CUBE Street EX
Torch Offline

Has anyone tried this stereo amp?
http://www.kraftmusic.com/roland-cube-st...XXGbhoC_6bw_wcB

I wonder how it would compare with the BA330? A user left a review at an online store saying that he purchased two Cube Street EX amps and TWo BA330s,but no mention of how they compare with each other. With my Center Point Stereo Spacestation V3 coming in a few days, I think my search for an stereo solution is over, but I was looking into what options there are among battery operated amps.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#419355 - 04/07/16 07:44 AM Re: Roland CUBE Street EX [Re: Torch]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Looks interesting except for the price. I wouldn't expect much out of it for a keyboard full range. I'm not a fan of battery powered anything. Had a BA330 to try and repacked it to send back in 45 minutes. No power even on AC. Wish they had a decent amp in there and dropped the battery thing. I would of bought two.
I would take two CM30's over the Street unless you need the battery option.

Edited by Bill Lewis (04/07/16 07:49 AM)

#419377 - 04/07/16 11:38 AM Re: Roland CUBE Street EX [Re: Bill Lewis]
Torch Offline

Your post reminded me of a more powerful battery operated powered speaker by Carvin I had seen before but forgot about. The S600B StageMate http://www.carvinaudio.com/collections/s600

I have both the CM30 and BA330. I like them for what they are each serving its own purpose.

#419386 - 04/07/16 02:11 PM Re: Roland CUBE Street EX [Re: Torch]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill, the BA330 is not 30-watts RMS, but instead 30-watts peak, and that would be on a very good day. Essentially, it was designed as a practice amp for guitar players, and it's really not suitable for an arranger keyboard. I tested one when the first came out and were available in the local music store. The owner of the store told me the same thing - it's not suitable for what we do.

If you download the owners manual on the BA330 you will quickly discover that it is only 4.9-watts RMS power (12-VDC X .410-amps), and the nominal output is just 10dbu, which is next to nothing. Than manual also claims it will work for audiences to 100 people - not a prayer!

I suspect the Street Cube is in the same category as the BA330. Again, when you calculate the RMS power using Ohm's Law (12-VDC X .750-amps = 9-watts RMS power). In real terms, you have more power available using the keyboard's onboard sound system, and I can guarantee you the quality is superior using the keyboard speakers.

For many years, Roland, and a host of other manufacturers have avoided providing the RMS power in watts - instead, they advertise peak power, which is almost meaningless when it comes to output power. The dbu output of the Street Cube is the same as the 330 - just 10dbu.

Now, the price of the Roland BA330 was $599, which is insanely high for what you get. Add another $300 and get a Bose Compact and you would be well ahead of the game.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#419446 - 04/08/16 11:47 AM Re: Roland CUBE Street EX [Re: travlin'easy]
Torch Offline

No question many Roland products are high priced. My Roland dealer friend thinks so, too. I have no background in electricity and electronics but at least I know that 4.9 watts RMS for the BA330 is pretty anemic! Despite the pathetic number, it has served me well. There seem to be a lot of happy users on Amazon and Sweetwater. Outstanding reviews. I bought it after I read many posts here.

I am taking my liberty to copy Fran's post here #279693 - 01/19/10

I finally got the chance to A/B The Roland BA-330 stereo amp (15 watts a side)..to the acclaimed Bose Compact..(stated anywhere between 100-130 watts).

The owner of the Bose (Gary M)is a proud owner of all 3 Bose models...but when credit is due..he will say so..(Unlike most Bose owners.. )

The first test was a simple plug something into the BA330 to show Gary what 15 watts a side can sound like.. ..and on battery power too..Gary's jaw dropped..he said he would never have thought a low powered(number wise) amp could sound so good..

A quick initial A/B to the Compact..immediately l confirmed what I have always said about the Bose..There is a low/mid range that doesn't exist..Gary said the fullness of the BA330, kicked the butt of the Bose Compact..

We A/B'd for over 3 hours..using many different combinations and set ups..

I talked Gary into the Edirol M-10dx mixer..we both agreed this mixer is the best in it's price range and even those costing much more..

We than set up the amps with the Edirol mixer..I wanted to show Gary a feature on the Edlrol..I knew could improve the Bose fullness...

The Edirol has a Room Acoustic Control..it uses white noise to set up dual 16 channel EQ (flat)..what it does is bring out the frequencies that the Bose or any other powered speaker does not do from the factory..I have tried this with at least 6 different systems. and without fail ..improved every system..

After we did the RAC on the Bose..it came to life..I swear I seen tears in Gary's eyes..
After we A/B'd my BA330 and his Compact..and the Bose came in a distant second in quality, full sound...It was time to make him happy..

The Bose is weak at best with the unit not extended.(no tower extensions)..but the Edirol RAC trick worked a miracle on the Bose Compact..You could finally hear what is missing from the factory sound..

Now you Bose folks don't go off the deep end..maybe you just have to experience what Gary just did..to become a believer..and admit there is a lacking area in the stock Bose...

The BA330 showed Gary what was missing on his Bose and the Edirol mixer..made his Bose something he could smile about once again..

Comparisons are lessons to be learned..

BTW" we compared another Crate battery powered amp to the BA330..we quickly had to unplug the Crate..it was outclassed...

Hopefully ..I can get Gary to post his thoughts ..in case I put words into his mouth...When I left his place..he was a happy dude...he even claimed that if he was in the market prior to buying the Bose..he would get the BA330..

So now the results are yours...believe what you want...but if I owned a Bose ..I would buy a Edirol mixer..to use with the Bose..that way it can sound as good as the BA330...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online