SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#418967 - 03/31/16 10:35 AM I think Gary has it right!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I am enjoying working less and less. Need more time to fish and play golf. I don't have a huge sailboat like Gary, but I have a 19-foot bass boat and an understanding wife.
So I have decided to give my final notice at the club tomorrow. I will keep my PA4X for the occasional party, but that's about it.
I will miss you guys, but probably won't have much time to spend on the internet after tomorrow.

#418973 - 03/31/16 10:55 AM Re: I think Gary has it right! [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Good luck Don.. For me I hope the day never comes that I can't wake up and perform music on stage... It's always been my passion.. Enjoy retirement.

#418975 - 03/31/16 10:59 AM Re: I think Gary has it right! [Re: DonM]
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
Don

I guess that this happens to all at some time, but I have to say that I will miss your honesty, wisdom and humor..... I always looked forward to reading your posts.

What is going on here ? cry cry cry First to go, is our "Chairman of the Board" Gary Diamond and now our "Southern Gentleman"

What are we all to do now ? You guys are a Big part in our Community. And I for one, are happy to call you both "my Friend".

Your Canadian Friend
Ron

Edited by rphillipchuk (03/31/16 11:26 AM)

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#418976 - 03/31/16 11:03 AM Re: I think Gary has it right! [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Don, I've known talented artists who walked away from successful careers to do something completely different.

You've established yourself as a prime professional in several fields.

And, like me, you can always think back with a big smile on your face.

Be well, and thanks for the friendship. Just wish we lived closer together so the personal harassment could really jump up a notch or two!

We'd be back on the bandstand in a week!

We could fight over who lugs the equipment!

Russ

WAIT A MINUTE! IS THIS YOUR ANNUAL PRE-APRIL FOOLS DAY DEAL?

If it is, I hope you drown in that rickety old boat (LOL).

#418977 - 03/31/16 11:21 AM Re: I think Gary has it right! [Re: DonM]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

The very best to you Don. Will miss your posts on Synthzone and
the help you have so graciously given to me and so many others.
May God give you the health to enjoy retirement. Lloyd

#418978 - 03/31/16 11:24 AM Re: I think Gary has it right! [Re: ]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Don, I keep remembering the phrase, “Leave the playing before it leaves you”. I gave up most of my playing jobs a while back; now I am trying to sneak back and have just enough to keep me involved in what I loved most of my life.

Of all the careers performing music is one of the hardest to give up. I guess because it is more than just music. Most other careers people try to retire from as soon as they can.

Don, enjoy your new life; give it all you have – but I have a New Years for you here in Palm Beach if you’re interested. aaah, I shouldn’t have written that. I kinda know that there will be a time when you are tempted to come back for another go at it.

Gary is keeping us up to date with what his new life, please do the same.

A friend, John C.

#418982 - 03/31/16 11:49 AM Re: I think Gary has it right! [Re: captain Russ]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: captain Russ

WAIT A MINUTE! IS THIS YOUR ANNUAL PRE-APRIL FOOLS DAY DEAL?

Nah he would not make fools of us, would he?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#418986 - 03/31/16 12:32 PM Re: I think Gary has it right! [Re: DonM]
124 Offline

Well, if you are slowing it down a bit it surely doesn't mean you won't still grace SZ now and again, does it?

It's cool what you're doing and I hope you enjoy your retirement. You've earned it. Me, I'm of the 'rock til ya drop' variety. Can't seem do much about that.:)

#418987 - 03/31/16 12:55 PM Re: I think Gary has it right! [Re: DonM]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: DonM
I am enjoying working less and less. Need more time to fish and play golf. I don't have a huge sailboat like Gary, but I have a 19-foot bass boat and an understanding wife.
So I have decided to give my final notice at the club tomorrow. I will keep my PA4X for the occasional party, but that's about it.
I will miss you guys, but probably won't have much time to spend on the internet after tomorrow.

Don what you do playing music is not work!!! smile Remember the saying, "find a job you'll love and you'll never have to work a day again in your life." Your job is one of those. Whatever you decide wishing you the best.

#418989 - 03/31/16 01:12 PM Re: I think Gary has it right! [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Rough day today, got out of bed about 9 a.m., fixed breakfast, then headed up to the boat to apply a coat of Poly-Glo to the hull, which replaced waxing the hull every year. Much faster, much easier and looks far better at the end of the season.

Only one more task to perform before the boat goes in the water in two weeks, which is to flush the antifreeze out of the freshwater system, then chlorinate the 75 gallon water tank, flush again and refill.

On the way home, I crossed over Deer Creek pulled off the road and looked down from the bridge. The water was quite clear and cold, and just beneath the surface were schools of blueback herring and hickory shad. I couple casts with an ultra-light spinning outfit armed with a shad dart resulted in hooking a two pounder that leaped high in the air before tossing the hook back at me. While walking back to the van, I got to thinking about what I was doing. Good thing I left when I did, because when I pulled out of the parking spot, a game warden pulled into the place where I was parked. Whoops! I forgot to purchase this year's fishing license. wink Good timing.

The next stop was a local Season's Pizza restaurant where they sell the best, backfin-lump crab cakes I've tasted in years. Washed one down with an ice cold Coors Light, then headed home. It's supposed to rain for the next few days, so I'll probably go to the boat and do some inside work, clean things up a bit in preparation for a summer of sailing Chesapeake Bay and the nearby inshore Atlantic coastal waters.

Just got a call from an old friend that is having some health issues, and asked if I could fill in form him at his Monday evening restaurant job if he cannot make it. I agreed to do the next two Mondays, but when the boat goes back in the water, he'll need to make other arrangements. He laughed and said "I understand. I wish I could go with you."

Congratulations, Don. I think you are making a wise move and you will not regret it one bit. Get out there and smell those roses before someone is placing the roses on your casket. There's more to life than being on stage and entertaining others. And, at least we have prepared for this day, financially, which makes this part of retirement a lot more fun.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online