SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#418645 - 03/23/16 07:16 AM Greetings from my workplace using hand and feet
rosetree
Unregistered

This is my part-time workplace at church.
Fugue g-minor from the 'Eight Preludes and Fugues' formerly ascribed to Bach.
BTW, body coordination by playing with hands and feet is an excellent brain training.

#418649 - 03/23/16 08:15 AM Re: Greetings from my workplace using hand and feet [Re: ]
Dnj Offline

clap headphone clap

Thanx for sharing!

#418651 - 03/23/16 08:55 AM Re: Greetings from my workplace using hand and feet [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Mann bist du bevorrechted dass du so einem schönen Orgel spielen darfs...

Playing a real church organ is allways a special thing..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#418656 - 03/23/16 10:11 AM Re: Greetings from my workplace using hand and feet [Re: ]
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Great job! I love Bach!

#418666 - 03/23/16 04:06 PM Re: Greetings from my workplace using hand and feet [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

Thank you all.

@Bachus: The churches are presently short of organists, if you take lessons, practise hard (feet coordination is a really tough problem the first year even if you're very good on the piano...) and make a two-year course for "C-Organist", you will easily find an employment and be "bevorrechtigt" too wink
But you're right, sometimes I forget that I should also be thankful for having the possibility to play on one or two nice pipe organs every week and to have nearly unlimited access to one of them. And both sound really nice - in contrast to some very small pipe organs in modern congregation rooms in other parishes which sometimes sound very acute.

#418670 - 03/23/16 06:24 PM Re: Greetings from my workplace using hand and feet [Re: ]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Rosetree Very nice playing!! Kudos to you.

Reminds of what seems like 100 years ago I took a semester of applied organ at the University of RI with Professor George Kent http://web.uri.edu/music/meet/george-kent/

Worked on 3 of the 8 preludes and fugues during the semester, the feet didn't cooperate as well as I would have liked, always found it easier to play in stocking feet. One thing I can never forget is being able to play the pipe organ on campus in Edwards Auditorium, what a grand instrument. It was mounted in the orchestra pit, you hit a button and the hyrdualics raised the organ and platform to the same level of the stage.

#418677 - 03/23/16 10:21 PM Re: Greetings from my workplace using hand and feet [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree
Thank you all.

@Bachus: The churches are presently short of organists, if you take lessons, practise hard (feet coordination is a really tough problem the first year even if you're very good on the piano...) and make a two-year course for "C-Organist", you will easily find an employment and be "bevorrechtigt" too wink
But you're right, sometimes I forget that I should also be thankful for having the possibility to play on one or two nice pipe organs every week and to have nearly unlimited access to one of them. And both sound really nice - in contrast to some very small pipe organs in modern congregation rooms in other parishes which sometimes sound very acute.

There is a reason i once long time ago stepped away from playing organs. I never mastered the pedals as good as i would have liked..

I have never looked back, untill recently.. maybe i should give it another try, who knows, maybe age helps here..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#418682 - 03/24/16 06:49 AM Re: Greetings from my workplace using hand and feet [Re: ]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Rose tree, great job. Must be a joy to play some great instruments. Playing the pedals is becoming a lost art. In college I wanted to learn how the Jazz Organists did their Bass Lines. I thought it was a combination of foot and LH so I asked the one teacher who was a master organist. He had no clue. I signed up for a semester of organ anyway and took lessons on the Chapel organ. The hardest thing to master was balancing on the bench while using both feet .
On my own I did master the pedals with one foot and could really play some bass lines on my modified B3 ala Barbara Dennerlin. Used to take my shoe off and get some weird looks from customers. Those pedals were a pain to move and setup though. I've still kept a set of Roland PK5's and sometimes hook them up to my BK9. Years later I find out the Jazz guys were doing all their Basslines with their LH and just tapping a pedal for accents. WOW !!!! Wish we had Youtube back then.

#418684 - 03/24/16 07:06 AM Re: Greetings from my workplace using hand and feet [Re: ]
big741.1 Offline

Loc: Edmonton,Canada
That's simply awesome, rosetree!

I love your "office", too. wink

Thanks for the music,
Dan

#418686 - 03/24/16 08:31 AM Re: Greetings from my workplace using hand and feet [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

Thanks again for your comments!
I think I'm going to make more use of my midi pedal again. I stupidly sold an 18-key pedal, because I thought it was too heavy, and bought a lightweight 12-key pedal.
@Bill: I have also played on midi pedal without shoes on gigs. These small midi pedals really invite to put off your shoes... But it's wise to wear black socks then wink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online