SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#417104 - 02/21/16 05:59 AM Motif XF VS Roland Fa Part 2
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
In this second installment, classical nylon guitar, acoustic double bass, electric bass, orchestral strings and analog synth strings are compared:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bOofvAlqc

#417265 - 02/23/16 01:53 PM Re: Motif XF VS Roland Fa Part 2 [Re: Mikem]
rosetree
Unregistered

The Motif guitars are stereo and softer, the FA nylon guitar sounds very direct and, I think, quite realistic, but not as ""nice and soft"" (there we are again) as the Motif.
I like the FA acoustic bass much better.
The FA strings are very bad first, then very good - for the first patch they clearly didn't take the SN-A string sections, later they mixed them in. The Motif strings make much use of the solo voices, which I don#t like again. But this shows that it's a very subjective comparison again, it depends on which string voices you choose and mix.

#417276 - 02/23/16 04:23 PM Re: Motif XF VS Roland Fa Part 2 [Re: Mikem]
Mikem Offline

Thanks for your input!

I actually tried (for a minute only) the Fa, and I thought it had a nice sound to it, but didn't care for the shiny plastic.

#417447 - 02/27/16 10:36 AM Re: Motif XF VS Roland Fa Part 2 [Re: Mikem]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Mikem
Thanks for your input!

I actually tried (for a minute only) the Fa, and I thought it had a nice sound to it, but didn't care for the shiny plastic.

It would be nice if Roland released an upgraded model with many more SN-A sounds and, above all, more slots for expansions, but at a similar weight.
But I really think Roland should rework some of their SN-A sounds and think about adding sampled vibrato phrases to some of the instruments. I think they went too far into the direction of pure physical modeling, while Yamaha obviously implemented a more conventional, but better sounding technology with sampled phases put together flexibly. Any time you need a good vibrato trumpet (dixieland etc) I'm unhappy with the Roland SN-A trumpets. Similar for woodwinds and solo strings.

#417452 - 02/27/16 11:20 AM Re: Motif XF VS Roland Fa Part 2 [Re: Mikem]
Mikem Offline

I'm all for more SN-A from Roland extra expansion slots. For fun, I often dream what they (Yamaha, Roland, Korg & Ketron) would come up with if they would get together and design the ultimate keyboard!

More realistically (but only slightly so), it would be great if they would adopt the selling practice of car dealers: you get to choose things like, number and type of keys, plastic or metal chassis, number and kinds of sounds, speakers or not, etc. In other words, you choose exactly how to personalize your keyboard, and they make it.

As it is now, if you want different sounds or synthesis, you have to buy various keyboards/modules. Just wishing out loud!

I also wish Roland would create a new Integra-7, without its limitations (only 4 SRX expansions at a time), plus many more new SN-A sounds, improved reverb, and tweaked sounds.

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to take a nap and dream!

#417470 - 02/27/16 12:40 PM Re: Motif XF VS Roland Fa Part 2 [Re: Mikem]
rosetree
Unregistered

You could realize your dream and resample the sounds you want from every instrument and then sell them again. Just be prepared to take 702 individual samples just for the Roland SRX 11 Complete Piano, so that's one sound.

#417471 - 02/27/16 01:13 PM Re: Motif XF VS Roland Fa Part 2 [Re: ]
Mikem Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree
You could realize your dream and resample the sounds you want from every instrument and then sell them again. Just be prepared to take 702 individual samples just for the Roland SRX 11 Complete Piano, so that's one sound.

Easier said than done!

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online