Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#423885 - 07/26/16 06:31 AM Re: My next mini PA system? [Re: jimlaing]
Dnj Offline

#423886 - 07/26/16 06:55 AM Re: My next mini PA system? [Re: ]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
Watts don't mean anything to how loud the speaker will be.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#423891 - 07/26/16 12:18 PM Re: My next mini PA system? [Re: jimlaing]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: jimlaing
I have the IK Multimedia iLoud speaker, and an older Bose Soundlink II speaker, so I did some tests with them both last night. I had used the iLoud (with my keyboard) at modest-volume, mostly acoustic jam sessions and it performed well, but I had never compared them. Here are my observations.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iloud/

When I connected an iPhone and played some tunes to the speakers, the iLoud was very noticeably louder, and clearer than the Bose Sounlink II. The iLoud was also noticeably better in mids/highs than the Bose, to my ears. iLoud could get much louder and no distortion heard even at very loud volumes.

Then I connected both to my Tyros5. Again, I was (pleasantly) surprised with how loud and clear the iLoud was, compared to the Bose. I think the iLoud is rated 40W RMS, while the Bose (I read somewhere) is 20W.

The iLoud would definitely be loud enough for small-room gigs and moderate-volume jams. It could not compete with live drums, guitar amps, etc., but for modest jams, it has worked OK for me. Not for bass-heavy sounds, but for pianos, drawbar organs, or the 'arranger' turned on, all sound quite good, just can't expect a lot of thumping bass out of 3" woofers on the iLoud. Loud and clear and very good-sounding overall, but bass-drum / bass guitar sounds will be thin compared to bigger speakers.

The Bose, by itself (when not compared to something else) is a nice sounding speaker; it just doesn't get all that loud, and it's not as clear on highs as the iLoud.

If I could add even a very small subwoofer to the iLoud, I'll bet it would make a great sounding little system. . . .

I wonder if the Beolit 15 would be like an iLoud-on-steroids, i.e. louder and more bass, but still clear and crisp (I hope)?

-Jim

I owned the Bose Soundlink III and also the Soundlink Air (which is identical to Sounddock portable soundwise). The difference in volume is massive, the Soundlink I/II/III is much lower in volume.
If the iLoud is much louder than the Soundlink II, I don't think the Beolit 15 would beat it in volume, but surely in deep bass frequencies. The Beolit 15 is not recommendable if you need high volume. I'm still hesitating whether to return it to Amazon or not. Genelec 8010 and Klipsch KMC-3 are clearly louder.

#423892 - 07/26/16 12:31 PM Re: My next mini PA system? [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

Jim, as you own the Soundlink II, why don't you use Oluv's switcher to test it against the Beolit?

http://switcher.oluvsgadgets.net

It's a reliable comparison tool, I can confirm that those speakers I have tested are properly recorded there and give a good idea of how loud they are. Oluv has recorded all those speakers with binaural microphones under identical conditions.
Select Beolit 15 and Soundlink III as the two speakers to be compared, then click on one of the genres listed at "maximum volume", and listen to it with headphones. (There's hardly any difference between Soundlink I, II and III).
I think even the iLoud is in the list...

Edited by rosetree (07/26/16 12:33 PM)

#423894 - 07/26/16 01:20 PM Re: My next mini PA system? [Re: ]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Thanks, will give that link a try. Of course, loudness is not the ONLY criteria (criterion?) for assessing a speaker, but loudness with clarity and fullness of sound (which is subjective) and without distortion, seem like desirable traits. And yes I understand that Watts-RMS is not the only thing that affects a speaker's loudness. . .

Thanks,
Jim

#423895 - 07/26/16 01:52 PM Re: My next mini PA system? [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

The switcher website is quite slow at the moment; don't forget to press the green Play button after clicking on the respective track under 'maximum volume'.
I just compared iLoud and Beolit 15. - The iLoud sometimes sounds terrible at maximum volume there, completely distorted, depending on the track selected. The Beolit 15 is just a bit less loud, but completely clean. On the other hand, at some tracks I like the iLoud more, as it is more neutrally tuned and has more stereo.

Regarding your other question, differences between Beolit 15 and Beoplay A8 apart from the volume: in terms of frequencies covered, the Beolit 15 is nearly as good as the A8, the bass nearly equally deep, and crisp highs; the mids are a bit underrepresented in case of the Beolit 15, the A8 is a bit more neutrally balanced.
There's one major disadvantage of the Beolit 15: it has very little stereo (some are convinced it is completely mono, but I don't think so). The construction is not designed for real stereo (only one full-range speaker, three tweeters).
The A8 has wonderful stereo, with two woofers and tweeters in a distance of about 50cm / 20 inch.

Edited by rosetree (07/26/16 02:01 PM)

#423899 - 07/26/16 04:18 PM Re: My next mini PA system? [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

One more comparison, I thought this was worth making a video out of it. Beolit 15 vs. Klipsch KMC-3 vs. Genelec 8010, all recorded at maximum volume with my usual settings.
The Beolit has the clearest highs through the door, I'm surprised the Genelec are slightly muffled, but powerful. The Klipsch is loud, but starts to distort in the bass.

#423907 - 07/27/16 05:46 AM Re: My next mini PA system? [Re: ]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Thanks for the addition info and test! FYI, when I tested my iLoud with Tyros5, I didn't put it at MAX volume; I turned it up to max then backed off a couple of LEDs-worth (as shown on the volume knob). Then I had the Tyros5 at 1/2 to 2/3 volume, and played. The iLoud was VERY loud for its size, and I heard absolutely no distortion. Don't know if I would have heard distortion if I took the iLoud to its absolute max volume (will have to try that).

I like how the iLoud sounds with the Tyros, except I'd like a little more bass. One option is for me to find even a small/modest little subwoofer to add to it. This is all mostly "for fun"; I use the iLoud mostly at small jam sessions and parties; have thought it might be OK for very small gigs (say a living room sized place with 10-15 people listening. For bigger gigs (and duos/trios) I use my Nano 600.

Jim

#423913 - 07/27/16 11:14 AM Re: My next mini PA system? [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

You probably can't beat the iLoud with respect to weight:loudness ratio, as it is only 1.3 kg / 3 lbs. The Beolit 15 is already 2.7kg/6 lbs.

I wonder why the Genelec 8010 put out so little highs compared to Beolit and even Klipsch. The Klipsch has been criticized by some to be slightly muffled, but compared to the Genelec it's extremely crisp. I hope everything's ok with them, I got them as B-ware. But I think they are ok, the highs are not absent, just much lower in volume. I remember other Genelecs also had less highs compared to a Bose Sounddock... Maybe it's part of the neutral character, and these consumer speakers are more and more tuned for bass and extreme brightness...

#424001 - 07/29/16 06:17 AM Re: My next mini PA system? [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

I have to correct the bad impression the Genelecs made in the last comparative recording; now I set their bass filter to -4dB, and it sounds a lot better:

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online