SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#416773 - 02/14/16 05:58 PM Questions about vArranger
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
It has me curious.

I am thinking of this setup - my main keyboard is a Motif XS and I have a laptop in front of me with vArranger installed. Motif XS is Midi'd to the laptop as the prime sound source.

When playing Live, can I assign buttons from the Motif to trigger the variations, fills, track volumes, track mutes to the vArranger?

So basically not having to press keys on the laptop to make any of the live arranger controls?

Can someone who uses vArranger in a live situation please explain how they are doing things?

thanks!
Nick

#416780 - 02/14/16 09:54 PM Re: Questions about vArranger [Re: Nick G]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
Hello Nick,

I don't have the Motif XS, but I think only few are sending midi data, without interacting internally too.

Any vArranger function can be controlled by any midi message. The only thing to be careful, is that this button does not change things inside your XS together. Maybe there is a master keyboard mode, where buttons and sliders sends midi data, but does not change the internal sound.

I think the big buttons like REC PLAY .... will work, as well as the sliders

If not, you can simply add a cheap Korg NanoKontrol2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otV1oLeaLRE

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#416783 - 02/15/16 01:49 AM Re: Questions about vArranger [Re: DAN.2000]
Bachus Offline

In DAW control mode you can set up every button to controll CC which makes it possible to controll most functions of the Varranger. A user named moesiuers posted some youtube videos about using Varranger with the Motif XF which is essentially the same functionallity as the Motif XS

If any keyboard is fit for daw controll it must be the motif, in daw controll mode it should be possible to program all sliders and buttons to controll things in Varranger, but you need to figure it out yourself

Edited by Bachus (02/15/16 01:51 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#416834 - 02/15/16 02:38 PM Re: Questions about vArranger [Re: Nick G]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Hi, thanks for the advice and video link! looks like it works a dream!

As Bachus said, the Motif XS has a button which switches it into DAW mode so most buttons are automatically mapped to be transport functions for a DAW like Cubase, Sonar, Logic etc.

This would probably work well with vArranger... im gong to try this software and see how it goes.. looks promising. If they are all yamaha styles then the motif XS voices will map easily smile

Does it have its own style creation feature or does it only read styles u import into it?

Nick

#416887 - 02/16/16 10:31 AM Re: Questions about vArranger [Re: Nick G]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
For now vArranger 'only' imports the Ketron, Yamaha, Roland and Korg styles, but later will add the style creator

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#416907 - 02/16/16 06:35 PM Re: Questions about vArranger [Re: DAN.2000]
Torch Offline

I am eargerly waiting for my vArranger USB key to arrive. I like the flexibily to be able to drive it from all my midi controllers -a tiny midi keyboard controller like the Akai LPK25, an 88 key, or the FR7x digital accordion. I am also excited about making more use out of my VST plug-ins and some good soundfonts from my Live-Styler sound libraries let alone tons of styles for Yamaha, Ketron, Korg, and Roland.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online