SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#416462 - 02/10/16 08:58 PM Re: Midnight in Moscow Dixie - Lukewarm about SN-A [Re: abacus]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: abacus
Originally Posted By: Mark79100
Originally Posted By: rosetree

Rosetree.....I'd really like to hear what you did with that song.

Clear your browser history, cache and temporary files then restart your browser to see if this solves the problem.

If this fails add soundcloud to your safe sites list and try that.

Bill

Thanks Bill....I did that....cleared my cache and temp files and anything else that might be interfering. Even added it to my "safe sites." Still nothing.

I went to the library today to use their hi-speed computers and both browsers (Firefox and Explorer). I got to the page with the wave form showing and watched the progress meter go through it, but I heard no sound in my headphones. But....stupid me, maybe someone turned off the "volume control. I should have tested it with a Youtube video.

Mark

#416467 - 02/10/16 09:47 PM Re: Midnight in Moscow Dixie - Lukewarm about SN-A [Re: ]
Mark79100 Offline

You may also try the general link and then go to 'tracks':
https://soundcloud.com/rorosetree

Rosetree....that worked for me. I was able to access it going through the back door and I then went to "tracks." BUT....I have a dial-up connection so it only played for me in bits and pieces....maybe 2 second bytes. Couldn't hear the song as a "whole."

What I did hear in the 2 second bytes, I liked. The instruments sounded authentic, you had the right dixieland licks on each instruments, good strong beat. But....I'd really like to hear the whole song and what you did with this song using the Integra.

Are you able to post it here as an mp3?

Mark

#416503 - 02/11/16 07:43 AM Re: Midnight in Moscow Dixie - Lukewarm about SN-A [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

Yamaha sound versus the Roland sound...

For me its Yamaha allways trying to be superrealistic when creating sounds...
Where Roland in general tries to create sounds that sound great and are dynamic and expressive while played, but not necessarilly as naturall sounding as Yamaha..

To be honest, i had to listen a 2nd time and use my sennheiser headset, listening to them on my PC speakers only gave me a possitive expression of the soundquallity

http://keyszone.boards.net

#416512 - 02/11/16 09:43 AM Re: Midnight in Moscow Dixie - Lukewarm about SN-A [Re: Mark79100]
rosetree
Unregistered

Rosetree....that worked for me. I was able to access it going through the back door and I then went to "tracks." BUT....I have a dial-up connection so it only played for me in bits and pieces....maybe 2 second bytes. Couldn't hear the song as a "whole."

What I did hear in the 2 second bytes, I liked. The instruments sounded authentic, you had the right dixieland licks on each instruments, good strong beat. But....I'd really like to hear the whole song and what you did with this song using the Integra.

Are you able to post it here as an mp3?

Mark

I wanted to send you the mp3 via PM, but I don't see an option to attach a file to a PM... Following what I just posted about copying music and reposting it elsewhere, I'm reluctant to post an mp3 for public download here (which doesn't mean I particularly like my version, I've done much nicer tunes, I don't like the SN-A sounds).

#416513 - 02/11/16 09:52 AM Re: Midnight in Moscow Dixie - Lukewarm about SN-A [Re: Bachus]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Bachus

Where Roland in general tries to create sounds that sound great and are dynamic and expressive while played, but not necessarilly as naturall sounding as Yamaha..

I only agree regarding Roland's so-called SuperNatural sounds. My opinion is: These are not what Roland used to be. To me, many of the SRX boards are much more realistic than the preset sounds Yamaha offered from 2000-2010, and I still have to hear Yamaha brass sounds of the same realism as Roland's SRX 10 C-trumpets and French Horns. Maybe Montage has finally caught up.
I've always said what I love about the Integra is mostly the SRX library, not the SN-A sounds. If you compare this "Midnight in Moscow" to my "Petersburg Sleigh Ride", which consists of 17-year-old samples, I'd prefer the Sleigh Ride in terms of realism.

I'll experiment a bit and upload parts of the song played with old SRX samples to compare it with SN-A.

BTW, you know what a trumpeter I cooperate with said about my recording: the things he liked best was the muted growl trumpet and the banjo - exactly those two I took from the SRX 09 World expansion, samples from the 1990s.

Edited by rosetree (02/11/16 09:55 AM)

#416530 - 02/11/16 12:56 PM Re: Midnight in Moscow Dixie - Lukewarm about SN-A [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Bachus

I only agree regarding Roland's so-called SuperNatural sounds. My opinion is: These are not what Roland used to be. To me, many of the SRX boards are much more realistic than the preset sounds Yamaha offered from 2000-2010, and I still have to hear Yamaha brass sounds of the same realism as Roland's SRX 10 C-trumpets and French Horns. Maybe Montage has finally caught up.
I've always said what I love about the Integra is mostly the SRX library, not the SN-A sounds. If you compare this "Midnight in Moscow" to my "Petersburg Sleigh Ride", which consists of 17-year-old samples, I'd prefer the Sleigh Ride in terms of realism.

I'll experiment a bit and upload parts of the song played with old SRX samples to compare it with SN-A.

BTW, you know what a trumpeter I cooperate with said about my recording: the things he liked best was the muted growl trumpet and the banjo - exactly those two I took from the SRX 09 World expansion, samples from the 1990s.

I am indeed talking Rolands current sounds vs Yamaha.. Its not only the S/N sounds vs the SA2 sounds but also when you compare their current high end stage piano's ... cp4 sounds a lille more real, but rd800 is so much more fun playing and toying with the sound...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#416548 - 02/11/16 04:00 PM Re: Midnight in Moscow Dixie - Lukewarm about SN-A [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

Here's my comparative version of 'Midnight in Moscow' with a Ketron SD-1000 trumpet. Everything else taken from the first version.

https://soundcloud.com/rorosetree/midnig...trumpet-integra

#416566 - 02/11/16 07:26 PM Re: Midnight in Moscow Dixie - Lukewarm about SN-A [Re: ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
rosetree ... I went back and listened to the original version and what stuck out to me is that in your version the trumpet is very legato while in the original it is more staccato and has more 'bite' ...
Still, I think it is a helluvan effort ...

#416578 - 02/12/16 04:42 AM Re: Midnight in Moscow Dixie - Lukewarm about SN-A [Re: tony mads usa]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
rosetree ... I went back and listened to the original version and what stuck out to me is that in your version the trumpet is very legato while in the original it is more staccato and has more 'bite' ...
Still, I think it is a helluvan effort ...

Thanks, Tony. In the latest version I chose a soft vibrato trumpet of Ketron, as I thought it sounds nicest. My articulation is partly portato, partly legato, occasionally staccato. I'll compare some more things with the original later, of course I didn't copy all the impros, which would make it sound much more like the original, (who am I to quickly redo all the professional improvisations of 3 instruments). But I have been neglecting a paid playback project for a singer, so it'll take a while until I can work more on it.

#416648 - 02/12/16 09:35 PM Re: Midnight in Moscow Dixie - Lukewarm about SN-A [Re: ]
Mark79100 Offline

Rosetree......I went down to the library to listen to it again, and still.......no sound. I guess that's one way of being certain no one else steals your music.

Only kidding. Stupid me. The sound was turned off on their computers. I turned it back on.

Now I only had time to listen to it two times, and I couldn't concentrate on it very well as the library was about to close.

But I'm going to do an about face. Usually I pick a song apart. In this case, I thought you did a great job. You had a good "feel" for the style you were playing and I listened closely to your background instruments." Nice little fill-ins to give it that real Dixie sound.

I do remember thinking that part in the middle with the "spit" trumpet could have been smoother and held back a little more to break up the pace of the song.

But, I have to give you real credit if you put that whole thing together yourself on a workstation.

Incidentally, I DID like the sound of the Integra. But anyway I'm going down to the library again tomorrow and I'll have another listen.

Mark

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online