SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#415969 - 02/03/16 10:52 AM Re: Utility Shelf for double X stand for 970? [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I DID IT!!! smile

You can see the single rack unit, with the tonematch on top of it...Underneath it is a simple square about 10" by 10" shelf attachement that attraches to the quicloc leg...

Looking for one that would attach to a double x stand...

Edited by Bill in Dayton (02/03/16 10:54 AM)

#415970 - 02/03/16 11:03 AM Re: Utility Shelf for double X stand for 970? [Re: Bill in Dayton]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
When I used a double x stand, I had the top tier with it, then I laid on it a thin, but strong, board that I cut to the correct size and painted black. I put a small ledge across the front to keep anything from sliding off if I tilted it.
Back then I used it for placing songbooks on it, but it would work for your needs as well.

#415974 - 02/03/16 11:16 AM Re: Utility Shelf for double X stand for 970? [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Originally Posted By: DonM
When I used a double x stand, I had the top tier with it, then I laid on it a thin, but strong, board that I cut to the correct size and painted black. I put a small ledge across the front to keep anything from sliding off if I tilted it.
Back then I used it for placing songbooks on it, but it would work for your needs as well.

My first console had a rack mount beneath the top that held my Rack Mounted Digitech VR. It was positioned about an inch above the top of the keyboard and far enough back so that it did not interfere with my view of the keyboard or access to any of the buttons. Keep in mine that rack mounts are only 18 inches wide, which makes it easy to place beneath a board, such as the one that Don used.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#415979 - 02/03/16 01:19 PM Re: Utility Shelf for double X stand for 970? [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Gary

If you still have the files on how you built the utility shelf could you post it here ? I use a second shelf made of plexiglass but maybe something the get thecables under control and light the keyboard would be great

Thanks in advance

#415981 - 02/03/16 02:09 PM Re: Utility Shelf for double X stand for 970? [Re: Bill in Dayton]
travlin'easy Offline

Here's a link that I posted several years ago and my first platform was made of Lexan, which didn't hold up well, so I switched to 1/8-inch aluminum and had it formed at the local welding shop. They charged me $50 for both the aluminum, bending and drilling the holes. http://www.psrtutorial.com/music/projects/laptop.htm

I used flat black Krylon to paint it, then added a 1/4-inch thick Lexan platform to the top, and a 1/4-inch Lexan panel to the front to hold the sign in place. Both were pop-riveted using 1/4-inch pop rivets.

The strips lights are no longer at Home Depot, however, you can find some LED strip lights online for a decent price that have an adhesive back and 18 inches long - perfect for the sign light and keyboard light.

I attached all my power supplies, power strip, and vocal processor to the console using industrial strength Velcro, which has held up for many years. I also attached the laptop to the top using Velcro as well.

I made the majority of the cables and cut them to length so they would not hang down below the console and be visible to the audience. The cables that do hang down are the foot pedals, cables to the amp and power cable. All of the other cables remain connected to the console components so I no longer have to roll and store individual cables, which ultimately results in broken cables. Additionally, the cables are loosely coiled and held to the console with a Velcro strap, so I never have to worry if I left a cable at home or in the van. I'll shoot a video and post it later tonight.

Hope this helps,

Gary cool

#415985 - 02/03/16 03:26 PM Re: Utility Shelf for double X stand for 970? [Re: Bill in Dayton]
travlin'easy Offline

Bill and others, here's a short vid of me setting up using the custom console I designed and built. The vid is from a couple years ago, but everything is still the same.

Hope this helps,

Gary cool

#416017 - 02/04/16 08:51 AM Re: Utility Shelf for double X stand for 970? [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Gary

Thanks so much for the info. A very clever design. I see you taking it out of a bag but does it fold or stay in the L position? Just wondering about transporting it

Thanks again.

#416023 - 02/04/16 09:22 AM Re: Utility Shelf for double X stand for 970? [Re: Bill in Dayton]
travlin'easy Offline

It stays in the L position, very rigid, and very sturdy. Weighs about 12 pounds with everything, including the laptop and 15-foot heavy gauge extension cable. I've made 10 of these for folks throughout the US, but the cost of shipping is insane, so I recommend that most folks make it themselves and save the shipping cost, which is nearly $50.

Good luck,

Gary cool

#416049 - 02/04/16 05:54 PM Re: Utility Shelf for double X stand for 970? [Re: Bill in Dayton]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Bill, The set up looks real good -- but for me it's too much stuff.

I started with two speakers on poles, a BBE maximizer, an Equalizer, a stand-alone voice harmonizer, and a big box to hold all three units. Stand, a keyboard, Mic. and stand, a light for my music, and one big bag for my music.

I carried all of it from my car to the bandstand with no problems, ---But I hated with a passion all the stuff I had to carry back to the car.

It’s down to:
1-Keyboard and chair.
2-A skirt to go around the keyboard hiding wires and whatever.
3-Laptop.
4-A keyboard stand – the Ultimate stand cut down to hold the laptop and keyboard at one level.
5-AND A HEAD-SET THANKS TO A MAN CALLED GARY.
6-Bose Compact.

John C.

#416060 - 02/04/16 06:58 PM Re: Utility Shelf for double X stand for 970? [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Dnj Offline

Any setup pics John?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online