Utility Shelf for double X stand for 970?

Posted by: Bill in Dayton

Utility Shelf for double X stand for 970? - 02/03/16 08:46 AM

I have been using this stand for my Tyros for years...

Quic-loc kb stand

It is on the heavy side, but provides a very stable base for the Tyros. Also, very important to me is the ability to connect a small utility shelf to the side of it that I set my Bose Tonematch mixer on and can reach easily as I play.

I am interested in finding an attachment for a double X stand.

The psr s970 is roughly 5-6 inches shorter that a Tyros is, and the old quicloc stand hangs well over the ends of the new kb .

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Bill
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Utility Shelf for double X stand for 970? - 02/03/16 09:22 AM

Bill, I use the Quic Loc QL-642, which is a two-tier stand that is very strong and quick to set up. I have a custom console that I constructed just for this stand and posted directions on how to build it on the PSR-Tutorial site. For me, it has been the best thing since sliced bread in that it holds all the power supplies, AC surge strip, makes a nice lighted sign, illuminates the entire keyboard, holds my laptop and vocal harmonizer, and still has lots of room for other gear if needed.

If you already have a good stand, here's something that may be in line with what you are looking for. Quikloc LPH-X

Gary
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Utility Shelf for double X stand for 970? - 02/03/16 09:33 AM

I have one of those LPh-x holders....a bit heavy but rugged for stage work..

Re: Utility Shelf for double X stand for 970? - 02/03/16 09:45 AM

Not sure if this is going to work, but here's a picture of my current setup. I also mispoke earlier about what sits on the utility shelf. Actually, a single unit rack case sits on it, and the small Bose Tonematch sits on top of that...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=3&theater

(Donny P. - if this image doesn't work, I've put the picture at the top of my facebook page...you should be able to see it there...)

I'm wanting to replace the big clunky stand with a double X stand, but find a way to attach a shelf off to the right for the rack unit and mixer...

smile

Re: Utility Shelf for double X stand for 970? - 02/03/16 09:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Bill in Dayton
Not sure if this is going to work, but here's a picture of my current setup. I also mispoke earlier about what sits on the utility shelf. Actually, a single unit rack case sits on it, and the small Bose Tonematch sits on top of that...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=3&theater

(Donny P. - if this image doesn't work, I've put the picture at the top of my facebook page...you should be able to see it there...)

I'm wanting to replace the big clunky stand with a double X stand, but find a way to attach a shelf off to the right for the rack unit and mixer...

smile

is this it?

Re: Utility Shelf for double X stand for 970? - 02/03/16 10:24 AM

Bill, here's my current setup with the custom console. The beer pitcher is my tip jar - the beer is sitting on my keyboard case - it was 90 degrees that afternoon and I sure needed it.

Gary cool

Re: Utility Shelf for double X stand for 970? - 02/03/16 10:48 AM

No, it should show a Christmas tree and a sign that says Asbury Hall...

Re: Utility Shelf for double X stand for 970? - 02/03/16 10:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Bill in Dayton
No, it should show a Christmas tree and a sign that says Asbury Hall...

dont see it can you post it here please?

Re: Utility Shelf for double X stand for 970? - 02/03/16 10:50 AM

Trying to figure out how to post it... Do I use the "file manager">?

Re: Utility Shelf for double X stand for 970? - 02/03/16 10:52 AM

trying again...

Re: Utility Shelf for double X stand for 970? - 02/03/16 10:52 AM

I DID IT!!! smile

You can see the single rack unit, with the tonematch on top of it...Underneath it is a simple square about 10" by 10" shelf attachement that attraches to the quicloc leg...

Looking for one that would attach to a double x stand...
Posted by: DonM

Re: Utility Shelf for double X stand for 970? - 02/03/16 11:03 AM

When I used a double x stand, I had the top tier with it, then I laid on it a thin, but strong, board that I cut to the correct size and painted black. I put a small ledge across the front to keep anything from sliding off if I tilted it.
Back then I used it for placing songbooks on it, but it would work for your needs as well.

Re: Utility Shelf for double X stand for 970? - 02/03/16 11:16 AM

Originally Posted By: DonM
When I used a double x stand, I had the top tier with it, then I laid on it a thin, but strong, board that I cut to the correct size and painted black. I put a small ledge across the front to keep anything from sliding off if I tilted it.
Back then I used it for placing songbooks on it, but it would work for your needs as well.

My first console had a rack mount beneath the top that held my Rack Mounted Digitech VR. It was positioned about an inch above the top of the keyboard and far enough back so that it did not interfere with my view of the keyboard or access to any of the buttons. Keep in mine that rack mounts are only 18 inches wide, which makes it easy to place beneath a board, such as the one that Don used.

Gary cool
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: Utility Shelf for double X stand for 970? - 02/03/16 01:19 PM

Gary

If you still have the files on how you built the utility shelf could you post it here ? I use a second shelf made of plexiglass but maybe something the get thecables under control and light the keyboard would be great

Thanks in advance

Re: Utility Shelf for double X stand for 970? - 02/03/16 02:09 PM

Here's a link that I posted several years ago and my first platform was made of Lexan, which didn't hold up well, so I switched to 1/8-inch aluminum and had it formed at the local welding shop. They charged me $50 for both the aluminum, bending and drilling the holes. http://www.psrtutorial.com/music/projects/laptop.htm

I used flat black Krylon to paint it, then added a 1/4-inch thick Lexan platform to the top, and a 1/4-inch Lexan panel to the front to hold the sign in place. Both were pop-riveted using 1/4-inch pop rivets.

The strips lights are no longer at Home Depot, however, you can find some LED strip lights online for a decent price that have an adhesive back and 18 inches long - perfect for the sign light and keyboard light.

I attached all my power supplies, power strip, and vocal processor to the console using industrial strength Velcro, which has held up for many years. I also attached the laptop to the top using Velcro as well.

I made the majority of the cables and cut them to length so they would not hang down below the console and be visible to the audience. The cables that do hang down are the foot pedals, cables to the amp and power cable. All of the other cables remain connected to the console components so I no longer have to roll and store individual cables, which ultimately results in broken cables. Additionally, the cables are loosely coiled and held to the console with a Velcro strap, so I never have to worry if I left a cable at home or in the van. I'll shoot a video and post it later tonight.

Hope this helps,

Gary cool

Re: Utility Shelf for double X stand for 970? - 02/03/16 03:26 PM

Bill and others, here's a short vid of me setting up using the custom console I designed and built. The vid is from a couple years ago, but everything is still the same.

Hope this helps,

Gary cool
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: Utility Shelf for double X stand for 970? - 02/04/16 08:51 AM

Gary

Thanks so much for the info. A very clever design. I see you taking it out of a bag but does it fold or stay in the L position? Just wondering about transporting it

Thanks again.

Re: Utility Shelf for double X stand for 970? - 02/04/16 09:22 AM

It stays in the L position, very rigid, and very sturdy. Weighs about 12 pounds with everything, including the laptop and 15-foot heavy gauge extension cable. I've made 10 of these for folks throughout the US, but the cost of shipping is insane, so I recommend that most folks make it themselves and save the shipping cost, which is nearly $50.

Good luck,

Gary cool
Posted by: bruno123

Re: Utility Shelf for double X stand for 970? - 02/04/16 05:54 PM

Bill, The set up looks real good -- but for me it's too much stuff.

I started with two speakers on poles, a BBE maximizer, an Equalizer, a stand-alone voice harmonizer, and a big box to hold all three units. Stand, a keyboard, Mic. and stand, a light for my music, and one big bag for my music.

I carried all of it from my car to the bandstand with no problems, ---But I hated with a passion all the stuff I had to carry back to the car.

It’s down to:
1-Keyboard and chair.
2-A skirt to go around the keyboard hiding wires and whatever.
3-Laptop.
4-A keyboard stand – the Ultimate stand cut down to hold the laptop and keyboard at one level.
5-AND A HEAD-SET THANKS TO A MAN CALLED GARY.
6-Bose Compact.

John C.

Re: Utility Shelf for double X stand for 970? - 02/04/16 06:58 PM

Any setup pics John?