SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#414164 - 01/05/16 02:29 AM Getting to know my new PSR S970...One big issue...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
As the holiday schedule says goodbye I am enjoying setting up the new board and getting used to it. I love the playability of the 970, the piano, guitars and drums are impressing me the most I'd say and I frankly have very few complaints at this point of the game.

Two somewhat sizable issues have revealed themselves so far...

The location of the multi-pads. (MP's)

Everyone is different how we trigger various parts of an arranger. As far as the MP's go, there are times when I can fire them with my RH OR my LH. There are other times when due to other things (usually chording or playing a lead) that there's only one hand available to trigger the MP. I'm finding it terribly awkard to trigger it in some cases.

Ex. NY, NY

During the classic chordal "walkup" "It's up to YOU (MP crash) NEW (MP crash) YORK (MP crash) NEW (MP crash) Yooooorrrk....." I (on full kb mode) am playing full chords with my RH and bass octaves with my LH, during which time my middle finger can reach up and fire the cymbal crash very smoothly.

No more and my middle finger on my LH certainly doesn't reach the far right of the kb, lol...

The crashes are an iconic part of the tune and imo, HAVE to be there.

There are other examples and I'm telling myself that over time, I'll figure it out but it's a bit frustrating to be honest.

Has Yamaha ever explained why they moved the MP's from the left side of the board to the right? I'd love to know.

The 2nd issue is no longer having three voice options and learning to live with just two.

I appreciate more now the the value of creating multiple registrations for the same tune, of which the possibilities are endless. I rarely did this with the T2 because I found it very adequate to work with just the three voices. Piano as #1, Strings as #2 and then the solo instrument of my choosing as #3. I'd become very adept at changing a voice on the fly as I play in many circumstances. This isn't as easy on the 970, but I think in time, it will come.

Another question regarding multipads...

My most common MP's are the Conga/Bongo, the shaker/tamborine and the cymbal crash. QUESTION: Is there a way to create a "custom" bank of multi-pads with voices from DIFFERENT MP's? Can I save up to 4 of my favorites into one MP setting that is available to me for every song/registration I load?

Again, I like this kb very much with limited hands on time so far. No regrets on this purchase whatsoever...

Thanks for the feedback!

Bill

Edited by Bill in Dayton (01/05/16 02:33 AM)

#414169 - 01/05/16 05:47 AM Re: Getting to know my new PSR S970...One big issue... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Bill:

Thanks for pointing out these problems. I can't resolve the first one other than suggest that a foot pedal activation might work if you are willing to take the solution that far. I agree that the cymbols need to be activated correctly in performing NY, NY.

Your second issue can be resolved by downloading a small program called "Padmaker" from the PSR Website. It takes a small learning curve but can do exactly what you want. I'm guessing you would have the final custom Multi-Pad installed in the user area of the 970 or on a memory stick would work well for you.

Good luck on finding the perfect solution. Don Mason probably has a dozen other options for you.

Dave Rice

#414170 - 01/05/16 06:16 AM Re: Getting to know my new PSR S970...One big issue... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Dnj Offline

why not just record an smf or mp3 backing track for the song in question with all the included crashes you need etc, etc, .. and play on top of it...

#414172 - 01/05/16 06:39 AM Re: Getting to know my new PSR S970...One big issue... [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I find that to be the best choice for songs like NY,NY ...

Bill, how do you handle the ritard and drum roll going into "... these little town blues ..." ?

#414173 - 01/05/16 06:42 AM Re: Getting to know my new PSR S970...One big issue... [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
I find that to be the best choice for songs like NY,NY ...

Bill, how do you handle the ritard and drum roll going into "... these little town blues ..." ?

I never do that "slow down retard or drum roll" Tony I always keep the song strict TEMPO all the way thru especially because its a big Line dance song and when people are dancing you cannot slow down the tempo......additionally you can always multitrack record a smf and play on top with the included retard if you really need it ..
just sayin'.. cool2

Edited by Dnj (01/05/16 06:46 AM)

#414174 - 01/05/16 06:53 AM Re: Getting to know my new PSR S970...One big issue... [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I use a 'pro' smf that I purchased, and of course it has the full Sinatra arrangement ... the 'Rockettes' wink that danced to it this holiday season had no problem with it ... in fact, I am sure they expected it ...
Whatever works ...

#414175 - 01/05/16 06:59 AM Re: Getting to know my new PSR S970...One big issue... [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
I use a 'pro' smf that I purchased, and of course it has the full Sinatra arrangement ... the 'Rockettes' wink that danced to it this holiday season had no problem with it ... in fact, I am sure they expected it ...
Whatever works ...

always strick tempo for dancing.. wink

#414181 - 01/05/16 08:50 AM Re: Getting to know my new PSR S970...One big issue... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I didn't like the placement of the pads either. Not sure there is a great workaround that has not been mentioned.
There aren't enough pedal inputs to do everything one needs to do.

#414187 - 01/05/16 09:25 AM Re: Getting to know my new PSR S970...One big issue... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Dnj Offline

I love the mp placements easy to access..

#414195 - 01/05/16 12:25 PM Re: Getting to know my new PSR S970...One big issue... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Originally Posted By: Bill in Dayton
As the holiday schedule says goodbye I am enjoying setting up the new board and getting used to it. I love the playability of the 970, the piano, guitars and drums are impressing me the most I'd say and I frankly have very few complaints at this point of the game.

Two somewhat sizable issues have revealed themselves so far...

The location of the multi-pads. (MP's)

Everyone is different how we trigger various parts of an arranger. As far as the MP's go, there are times when I can fire them with my RH OR my LH. There are other times when due to other things (usually chording or playing a lead) that there's only one hand available to trigger the MP. I'm finding it terribly awkard to trigger it in some cases.

Ex. NY, NY

During the classic chordal "walkup" "It's up to YOU (MP crash) NEW (MP crash) YORK (MP crash) NEW (MP crash) Yooooorrrk....." I (on full kb mode) am playing full chords with my RH and bass octaves with my LH, during which time my middle finger can reach up and fire the cymbal crash very smoothly.

No more and my middle finger on my LH certainly doesn't reach the far right of the kb, lol...

The crashes are an iconic part of the tune and imo, HAVE to be there.

There are other examples and I'm telling myself that over time, I'll figure it out but it's a bit frustrating to be honest.

Has Yamaha ever explained why they moved the MP's from the left side of the board to the right? I'd love to know.

The 2nd issue is no longer having three voice options and learning to live with just two.

I appreciate more now the the value of creating multiple registrations for the same tune, of which the possibilities are endless. I rarely did this with the T2 because I found it very adequate to work with just the three voices. Piano as #1, Strings as #2 and then the solo instrument of my choosing as #3. I'd become very adept at changing a voice on the fly as I play in many circumstances. This isn't as easy on the 970, but I think in time, it will come.

Another question regarding multipads...

My most common MP's are the Conga/Bongo, the shaker/tamborine and the cymbal crash. QUESTION: Is there a way to create a "custom" bank of multi-pads with voices from DIFFERENT MP's? Can I save up to 4 of my favorites into one MP setting that is available to me for every song/registration I load?

Again, I like this kb very much with limited hands on time so far. No regrets on this purchase whatsoever...

Thanks for the feedback!

Bill

Hi Bill,
I solved the problem of the missing third voice by making my own OTS setting and save it as a user style.
That way you have access to 8 voices.
Eric

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online