SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#413250 - 12/18/15 07:05 PM Danny Boy, a different approach...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Allen Russel, a relative newcomer to the PSR Tutorial forum, just posted his rendition of Danny Boy. He assembled it as a midi file, then converted it to an MP3. I, for one, think it is probably the best rendition I have heard of this timeless song.

Here it is: Danny Boy

I'll be more than happy to pass your comments along to him. He, obviously, spent a lot of time putting this song together.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#413251 - 12/18/15 08:24 PM Re: Danny Boy, a different approach... [Re: travlin'easy]
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Gary, do you know what keyboard your friend Allen used for this song?

#413260 - 12/19/15 06:43 AM Re: Danny Boy, a different approach... [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Gary, may be time to change the batteries in that hearing-aid smile. Hey, nobody likes to post negative comments, especially about a guest, and especially on THIS forum, where we give a thumbs up to Bob Dylan singing an opera. Honesty is rarely rewarded here when it comes to critiquing a posted performance and one can always expect blowback from a dissenting opinion, no matter how well-intention-ed. However, the absence of a response (even from Donny smile ) does sort of speak volumes. I, myself, probably wouldn't have responded had you not put the "best rendition" tag on it. I applaud the effort put into this production but that does not always guarantee a good result. I probably wouldn't play this particular performance in an Irish bar.

Things I liked:
1. Timing - timing (rhythmic feel) was spot on
2. choosing variety of instruments for lead part (melody and solos)
3. chord substitutions in the arrangement

Things I didn't like:
1. The mix - poor balance in the accompanying arrangement
2. poor balance between solo/lead instruments and accompaniment.
3. lead instrument choices - too guttural and 'blare-ry' - trumpet was the best of the lot
4. arrangement does not suit song - 'steps on' the natural beauty of this song
5. lead instruments SOUND like they're being played from a keyboard (btw, I'm guilty of that as well)

What's important to remember is that there are few things more subjective than music (as illustrated by the difference in my and Gary's perspective). The opinions expressed here are my own and have no more validity than anyone else's. This should not discourage people from posting, especially if they are honestly seeking feedback to improve their performances.

chas

#413266 - 12/19/15 08:57 AM Re: Danny Boy, a different approach... [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Well I liked a lot of things about it, and agree with Chas on some things too. I supposed I'm just not that interested in such a big overblown production that takes many hours to assemble. I wanta just PLAY. smile
I do this song pretty often because we have a waiter named Dan that keeps asking me to do it, and I've found that Dan, and others, seem to enjoy a really simple version, where they can listen to the words and melody line.
Allen never plays live; he uses his Tyros 5 to "arrange" and create arrangements, and that is one of the purposes of having one. It's pretty amazing that a person CAN do that if he devotes the time and energy and expertise.
I'd rather hear Chas do some three-chord blues with organ, bass and drums!

#413268 - 12/19/15 09:01 AM Re: Danny Boy, a different approach... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Mike, I believe he is using a T5, but not quite sure.

Chas, everyone has their own opinion, especially when it comes to music. I listened to this particular song three times before I commented, and I agree with you that the trumpet lead was the best of all. Here's Allan's OP:

This is my arrangement of "Danny Boy" A great melody and emotionally effective during special moments (Final Revision)

Instrumentation:

Solo Harmonica S.Art2!
Solo Trumpet S.Art2!

Romantic Strings and Violas
Sax Section
Clarinets and Oboes
Pop Dynamic Brass
Glockenspiel
Pop Piano
Acoustic Bass
Live Drums.
DSP 1 Reverb Hall 5

Comments are always welcome

Please use headphones for maximum audio

https://app.box.com/s/s62lsj2x3gpjntz65dalqyzlczwfyi74

Alan Russell
[i][/i]

Now, I no longer wear the hearing aid - it no longer fits and I'm not about to spend $3,000 to hear the higher frequencies, which is mostly the ladies talking. wink But, Chas, if you want a good deal on a used hearing aid for yourself, let me know, I just might be able to part with the one I own. I just had it cleaned and serviced so it's ready to go. I could even get it down to your before Christmas if you wish. wink

All the best,

Gary cool

#413271 - 12/19/15 09:16 AM Re: Danny Boy, a different approach... [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Amen to what Don said (except for the last sentence smile ). Some songs are "timeless" BECAUSE OF the 'words and melody line'. That means you probably shouldn't mess with 'em too much. THIS is one of those songs. I don't want to hear even a JAZZ interpretation of Ave Maria, just an incredible lyric soprano over a simple accompaniment. Again, this is just MY opinion.

chas

#413276 - 12/19/15 09:42 AM Re: Danny Boy, a different approach... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

I agree with much of your statement, Chas. But how about the great deal I offered you on the hearing aid? wink C'mon, there's only a few short days till Christmas. smile

Gary cool

#413277 - 12/19/15 09:54 AM Re: Danny Boy, a different approach... [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I applaud Allen's efforts on this production, without going into specifics which I think chas laid out pretty well ... I have used the midi sequencer on the KB to change some 'styles' by replacing voices and overwriting accomp parts, so I know that it can be a time consuming project at best ... as in many cases, the procedure is relatively easy, but the execution is sometimes quite challenging ...
Personally when I perform this song - usually only at St. Patrick's Day gigs, unless otherwise requested - I prefer a simple acoustic style with a guitar arpeggio or something similar ...
When we had the band in NY, our featured vocalist - a fine Italian gentleman (but then the 5 of us happened to be Italian grin ) would sing "Danny Boy" and we would give him minimal background, with no strict tempo ...
But, it's all a matter of personal preference ..

#413285 - 12/19/15 12:21 PM Re: Danny Boy, a different approach... [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

It just occurred to me that Danny Boy would be a perfect song for that guy that does that hilarious version of Oh Holy Night that DonM posts every year. Bet he could make us laugh again (provided you're not Irish smile ).

chas

#413287 - 12/19/15 01:17 PM Re: Danny Boy, a different approach... [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
How about this?
Awesome version of Silent Night!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc-10aQ2bT0

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online