SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#413111 - 12/15/15 05:25 AM How to Be a Successful Club or Bar Cover Band
Dnj Offline

#413122 - 12/15/15 11:06 AM Re: How to Be a Successful Club or Bar Cover Band [Re: Dnj]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I agree with most of these although personally I prefer the flexibility of not having a set list. You absolutely have to read your audience and play the right tunes (and if you do a set list aren't you limiting your choice in advance?). I'd never thought of "play for the ladies" as a formal tactic but thinking about it that's what I've been doing for years especially when plying for dancing! One thing they don't say directly is the importance of clothing. I find that putting on stage gear - even if it is just a nice shirt - sets me up for a performance but also says to the audience that you are serious about putting on a good show.

#413124 - 12/15/15 11:26 AM Re: How to Be a Successful Club or Bar Cover Band [Re: Dnj]
Eric, B Online   content

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA

Cool wink
Thanks
Eric

#413125 - 12/15/15 12:11 PM Re: How to Be a Successful Club or Bar Cover Band [Re: Eric, B]
Dnj Offline

#10 is my personal favorite & pet peeve.. cool2

#413126 - 12/15/15 12:15 PM Re: How to Be a Successful Club or Bar Cover Band [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
John, I thing the set list pretty much refers to bands, not an OMB entertainer. Like you, I never use a set list. I look a the audience and determine what will work. 99 percent of the time I'm right on the money. When I'm not, I reassess the crowd and go from there.

As for attire, I fully agree. I'm constantly amazed at the number of individuals I see on stage wearing clothing that appears as if they just crawled out of a sewer. I've always been well aware that you only have one shot at a first opinion, especially when it comes to looking professional on stage.

Now, I've always played to the ladies - they put the big tips in the tip pitcher, they are the ones that want to dance and party. The guys are just there with them to get drunk and get laid. When I get a request from a lady, it usually a song I perform regularly. When I get a request from some drunken guy, it's usually something that I would never play.

Item #15 on their list was to record your performances, which is something both DomM and myself do regularly. I listen to them, assess what I did right, assess what I can do to improve the performaces, and address any changes I need to make in the PA system to improve overall sound quality and coverage. I like to think that I am my own/worst best critic.

Now, I stopped playing clubs and restaurants many years ago - it just did not make good econimic sense, especially when you consider the pay scale today is the same as it was 50 years ago at those same locations. The hourly rate at the senior events is the same as you would get for 4 to 5 hours at a club or restaurant. Obviously, some entertainers prefer doing the club jobs, but I look at it differently. Seniors love the music, they love to dance, the jobs are usually in the middle of the day or early evening, you don't have to put up with drunks and obnoxious individuals and you're usually home for supper. What more could you want from this profession?

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#413130 - 12/15/15 01:57 PM Re: How to Be a Successful Club or Bar Cover Band [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Thanks Donny ,good article
. How would you guys interpet "put on a show" .?
As OMB musicians we're busy playing and singing. A front person In a band can interact more but we're kind of limited behind a keyboard. Eye contact and smiling are important but not a show

Having recently seen Tony Monaco tear it up from behind a Hammond tells me there is one way to do it but his gyrations and facial expressions are just not me. He kind of reminded me of Mark Stein of Vanilla Fudge but with much different music. Lol

#413131 - 12/15/15 02:19 PM Re: How to Be a Successful Club or Bar Cover Band [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Putting on a show as an OMB entertainer involves putting a fair amount of emotion in your songs, making eye contact with various ladies in the audience (forget the guys), some tempo body movement (even if it's only tapping your feet to the timing), and schoozing with the audience every chance you get. Essentially, you have to be a Little Richard/Liberace/Jerry Lee/Sammy Davis, Jr. kind of entertainer. All that on stage enthusiasm is contagious and believe me, your audiences will respond in kind.

All the best,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (12/15/15 02:21 PM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#413132 - 12/15/15 02:41 PM Re: How to Be a Successful Club or Bar Cover Band [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Ditto Gary.... That's why playing without charts allows you to interact more freely with the crowd in many ways...

Edited by Dnj (12/15/15 02:42 PM)

#413134 - 12/15/15 04:23 PM Re: How to Be a Successful Club or Bar Cover Band [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Thanks guys. Thats about what I was thinking. Smoozing with the crowd ( yes Gary the Ladies !) and keeping it lively and moving to fit the mood. Thats why I also never used set lists but since I'm doing more SMFs along with Styles I may try it.

#413135 - 12/15/15 05:09 PM Re: How to Be a Successful Club or Bar Cover Band [Re: Dnj]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Donny, on a greater part it’s great list. I agree with John on most of what he said.

My opinions are based on a four or five piece band.

1-Make set lists
Never, it took away my freedom. It was not possible for me to read a crowd and work a set list. There will always be songs that seem to go together – We had lists that we did not planned or write out. It’s magic out there; something guides you to play the right tune at the right time, it’s all about feeling the audience. There were never open spaces – I was leading called the key, pushed my guitar and we were going.

2- Stick to set times
If it is a show yes. Parties, no. There were times we played our last hour non-stop. How could you stopped when they were going crazy.

3-Keep things moving. Always; if not you lose the crowd.

4-Encourage drinking
Wow, never found a crowd that needed encouragement. If the music was strong/good they would drink and dance --- Party
Feeling and freedom --- Feeling and freedom – This is what I do not have when I play with recorded background music. The firsts few times it feels good; but after hearing the guy play the same riff the same way at the same place in the song I begin to lose it. And yes, I do use midi files.

Only my opinion.
John C.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online