SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#412429 - 12/02/15 09:58 PM Jam Sessions
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
In my youth and while just getting started in the music business I got to play (and learn) from some more mature and really great players. Jam sessions were common where a few of us were paid and others sat in. Some of the sit ins sang. Some played instruments. The genre was big band standards and jazz standards.

Now, this was in the late 60's and 70's. The "house band" consisted of piano, guitar, bass, trumpet and trombone and drums. Guests would sing, play sax or other instruments and we would back them up. The horns NEVER covered up vocalists...and lead instruments were always in the fore front.

Tonight, I went to a jam. I went to listen...not to play. The house band consisted of piano, guitar, bass, two trombones, one trumpet and drums. Various guest singers and instrumentalists (including additional brass players) were invited to sing or play.

It almost felt like competition.
The house band covered up the singers and played melody lines with them.
The horn sections played in unison throughout most of the evening. It was LOUD...as it is hard to tame brass anyway unless muted.

The guests, although not professional, did not get their due, IMO. The "pros" did not show the courtesy of letting the guests shine or do their thing. Some of them might have been very good, but the audience will never know because their volume could not compete with the brass that wouldn't back off.

Occasionally I have a guest singer or instrumentalist and my policy is to accompany and help them sound good, not compete with them.

Sorry to rant...but I was so disappointed I felt the need to vent.

Eddie

#412514 - 12/04/15 01:00 PM Re: Jam Sessions [Re: btweengigs]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
In my day, jam sessions were cutting sessions. No one got on stage unless they could cut the gig. You were run off the stand with great disdain. Youngsters did their best to cut the old "pros".

Sometimes (not often), when the mix was particularly good, mutual respect resulted in leaving room for each other, "trading fours", etc.

Today, many jam sessions are just events where every guitar player who knows 4 songs shows up with their friends. They spend money; then go to another session. Several guys in Lexington hit 4 or more sessions a week.

Sad.

Russ

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online