SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#410762 - 11/03/15 05:39 PM After a week with the PSR S970
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
the PSR S970 is my latest addition to my rig.
I currently have a PA 3x and a Motif XS.

The PSR S970 in my opinion is a massive leap over the S950 and in fact it has more detailed editing features than the T4 - truth!

Here's my reasoning:

- SCREEN - The screen is amazing. Its the best screen on any yamaha arranger keyboard. Crystal clear, wide, great new colour scheme.

- EFFECT SECTION - All the effects are re categorized made easier to find. the look of the effects section is much more user friendly as they are all graphical (you can still edit them in fine detail).

- HD REVERBS - All the reverbs (Real HD Reverbs) - they give much more clarity than before. it just makes everything sound alot clearer and less "muffled"... and of coarse it has all the new VCM modulation Amp effects for the guitars and EPanios from the T5.

- DRUM MAPPING!!! - this is a feature than was not advertised or ever mentioned but It exists in the style create section. When you have a drum kit selected you can now do detailed editing of each individual drum part and assign different samples to the drum kit in (decay, pitch, filtering, volume, effects etc)... this is where you can really make the difference. I have taken alot of factory styles into the style create section and modified the drums to make them sound so much more live and unique. This feature is hands down the best feature on the board for me.

- MASTER EQ / COMP - Again another way to completely customize the over sound which is great to tailor it for different speakers. There are alot of detail you can go into with the master EQ. it is no longer a basic 5 band EQ. there are about 20 different settings you can modify to customize the overall EQ. then you have the separate master compressor from the Tyros line which I don't think has ever been in a PSR keyboard, and it works great!

I must say one thing - the onboard speakers are great, BUT to be honest they don't respond well after you have made EQ adjustments. to get the most out of this board you really need to play it through external speakers. I currently run it through a logitec Z2300 system and 2 x Yamaha HS 50 monitors. the sound is punchy and crystal clear. the basses are very deep. but when I unplug the speakers and go through the internal PSR speakers - it sounds terrible... so you really need to customize the keyboard for your external speakers. BUT it gives you far better results !!

REALTIME CONTROL KNOBS - AWESOME / Fantastic / extremely usable!!

definitely another awesome feature of this board. there is alot of different functions you can assign to the knobs which makes them very very usable!

SAMPLING - A massive FLAW / DOWNFALL
And I have confirmed this flaw with Yamaha corporate support.

The PSR S970 has 512MB of sampling flash memory.
The Flaw is that each time you wish to import a sample or a bunch of samples you need to re load ALL the sample flash memory... loading 512 MB of samples takes between 20-15 minutes.

For Example: if you have loaded 450mb of samples and you wish to load in say.. just one other sound or a modification to an existing sample via USB...it wipes and over writes ALL the sample memory so you MUST re load the entire sample data EVERY TIME... very very annoying. unfortunately there is no way around this...

KEYBED - Im sorry for any folks that believe the keyboard is improved over the S950.. it simply isn't.. its EXACTLY the same.. shallow, spongy and makes a loud hitting noise on the base of the keybed when you strike the keys hard. You either need to accept and live with it or buy another board. I personally hate it, but the board overs soo much at such a great price point which makes it "tolerable". if the PSR S970 had the Tyros/Motif Keybed it would be hands down a far better keyboard in my opinion.

BOOT UP TIME - wow a PSR that actually takes time to load up... no more instant ON... it takes about 15 seconds now from when you press the ON button to be able to play and hear a note. (Still far better than my PS 3x which takes about 2 mins).

DJ STYLES - Even though this is my favorite music genre, I find this section useless because they have pre set chord progressions that you can not change. so unless you have a song that works with the pre set chord changes they are just gimmicky...

CHOIR VOICES - Finally we have the new choir voices from the Tyros 4/5. They are perfect!

AUDIO STYLES - alot of new ones that were not in the S950. many of them are now even more usable and not so song specific.

ARPEGGIATOR - Great feature, works perfectly and has heaps of variety in the arpeggio settings with many different phrasing options. I have the PSR S970 in the same rack as the Motif XS and really gives the MOTIF a run for its money in terms of synth capability.

Thanks for reading, I have been having alot of late nights experimenting and tweaking this board. It actually gives alot of motivation and inspiration to play more than before, I honestly don't see a need to keep my PA3x anymore.

If anyone has any specific questions let me know

Cheers
Nick

#410763 - 11/03/15 06:24 PM Re: After a week with the PSR S970 [Re: Nick G]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Good report, Nick. Pretty much echoes those that I've heard from others. And, after playing a friend's new 970, I agree, the keybed is the same as the S-950, and if it is firmer, it's so slight that no one would know.

Also hearing incredible reports about the new guitars - just awesome.

Overall, it sounds like this MOTL board has set a new standard for others to emulate.

Thanks,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#410766 - 11/03/15 06:57 PM Re: After a week with the PSR S970 [Re: Nick G]
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Thank you, Nick! Overall, there seems to be a noticeable improvement over the S950.

For me personally, I like that you said it sounds clearer and cleaner than the S950, thanks to its new HD Reverb. I remember trying the S950 in a local store, and comparing it side-by-side to the Tyros 5, and it sounded a little muffled compared to the Tyros. I'm glad it's been improved.

Also, I really like the fact that it finally has choir voices that are good!

A very encouraging review!

#410771 - 11/03/15 10:00 PM Re: After a week with the PSR S970 [Re: Nick G]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Nick G

The PSR S970 in my opinion is a massive leap over the S950 and in fact it has more detailed editing features than the T4 - truth!

Here's my reasoning:

- SCREEN - The screen is amazing. Its the best screen on any yamaha arranger keyboard. Crystal clear, wide, great new colour scheme.

- EFFECT SECTION - All the effects are re categorized made easier to find. the look of the effects section is much more user friendly as they are all graphical (you can still edit them in fine detail).

on top of that they are of the much higher Tyros 5 quallity

- HD REVERBS - All the reverbs (Real HD Reverbs) - they give much more clarity than before. it just makes everything sound alot clearer and less "muffled"... and of coarse it has all the new VCM modulation Amp effects for the guitars and EPanios from the T5.

- DRUM MAPPING!!! - this is a feature than was not advertised or ever mentioned but It exists in the style create section. When you have a drum kit selected you can now do detailed editing of each individual drum part and assign different samples to the drum kit in (decay, pitch, filtering, volume, effects etc)... this is where you can really make the difference. I have taken alot of factory styles into the style create section and modified the drums to make them sound so much more live and unique. This feature is hands down the best feature on the board for me.

- MASTER EQ / COMP - Again another way to completely customize the over sound which is great to tailor it for different speakers. There are alot of detail you can go into with the master EQ. it is no longer a basic 5 band EQ. there are about 20 different settings you can modify to customize the overall EQ. then you have the separate master compressor from the Tyros line which I don't think has ever been in a PSR keyboard, and it works great!

I must say one thing - the onboard speakers are great, BUT to be honest they don't respond well after you have made EQ adjustments. to get the most out of this board you really need to play it through external speakers. I currently run it through a logitec Z2300 system and 2 x Yamaha HS 50 monitors. the sound is punchy and crystal clear. the basses are very deep. but when I unplug the speakers and go through the internal PSR speakers - it sounds terrible... so you really need to customize the keyboard for your external speakers. BUT it gives you far better results !!

definitely another awesome feature of this board. there is alot of different functions you can assign to the knobs which makes them very very usable!

i have been asking for free programmable knobs on an arranger for many years now, glad they are finally there

The Flaw is that each time you wish to import a sample or a bunch of samples you need to re load ALL the sample flash memory... loading 512 MB of samples takes between 20-15 minutes.

For Example: if you have loaded 450mb of samples and you wish to load in say.. just one other sound or a modification to an existing sample via USB...it wipes and over writes ALL the sample memory so you MUST re load the entire sample data EVERY TIME... very very annoying. unfortunately there is no way around this...

its been this way since the Tyros 4 released, and its not going to change, thats how this technollogy works in T4 and T5

KEYBED - Im sorry for any folks that believe the keyboard is improved over the S950.. it simply isn't.. its EXACTLY the same.. shallow, spongy and makes a loud hitting noise on the base of the keybed when you strike the keys hard. You either need to accept and live with it or buy another board. I personally hate it, but the board overs soo much at such a great price point which makes it "tolerable". if the PSR S970 had the Tyros/Motif Keybed it would be hands down a far better keyboard in my opinion.

i cant stand the PSR keybeds, love the one on the T5, makes a huge difference to me

BOOT UP TIME - wow a PSR that actually takes time to load up... no more instant ON... it takes about 15 seconds now from when you press the ON button to be able to play and hear a note. (Still far better than my PS 3x which takes about 2 mins).

DJ STYLES - Even though this is my favorite music genre, I find this section useless because they have pre set chord progressions that you can not change. so unless you have a song that works with the pre set chord changes they are just gimmicky...

All arrangers at this price and above should have a chordsequencer that works with every style and lets you reccord and save patterns with styles.. no clue why Yamaha still doesnt have a chordsequencer in their arrangers.

CHOIR VOICES - Finally we have the new choir voices from the Tyros 4/5. They are perfect!

AUDIO STYLES - alot of new ones that were not in the S950. many of them are now even more usable and not so song specific.

ARPEGGIATOR - Great feature, works perfectly and has heaps of variety in the arpeggio settings with many different phrasing options. I have the PSR S970 in the same rack as the Motif XS and really gives the MOTIF a run for its money in terms of synth capability.

another important advancement of arrangers for those playing modern music, cant wayt to see this on the Tyros 6

Thanks for reading, I have been having alot of late nights experimenting and tweaking this board. It actually gives alot of motivation and inspiration to play more than before, I honestly don't see a need to keep my PA3x anymore.

Cheers
Nick

Thank you for this review, i added some of my comments in red..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#410773 - 11/03/15 10:15 PM Re: After a week with the PSR S970 [Re: Bachus]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
I highly recommend the S970

#410775 - 11/03/15 10:35 PM Re: After a week with the PSR S970 [Re: Nick G]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Bachus, I agree with all of your comments.

The keybed is a joke, I can purchase a $300.00 Casio from a local electronics shop and it has better key action than a PSR S970. But like I said the keyboard has so many great first class features it makes it "tolerable"....

#410777 - 11/03/15 10:54 PM Re: After a week with the PSR S970 [Re: Nick G]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Actually my arthritic old fingers appreciate that soft, fast action. smile But I understand that for piano players you want to get as close as possible to piano action and feel.
It's a shame the PSR keys aren't full size as far as width though. Unless they have changed that.

#410787 - 11/04/15 05:08 AM Re: After a week with the PSR S970 [Re: Nick G]
Dnj Offline

Don nothing has changed with the keybed on the S970, & like you am perfectly happy with the lightning fast keyfeel,...personally for MY needs the upgrade is still too minimal from the S950.

Edited by Dnj (11/04/15 05:21 AM)

#411621 - 11/18/15 07:44 AM Re: After a week with the PSR S970 [Re: Nick G]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Nick G

Here's my reasoning:

Cheers
Nick

Now with much more research I like what I'm reading & like what I'm hearing from others about the NEW S970 as it should be as a step up from S950,... cool2
we'll see very soon.. keys

Edited by Dnj (11/18/15 07:47 AM)

#411622 - 11/18/15 07:55 AM Re: After a week with the PSR S970 [Re: Nick G]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
From my viewpoint, having played a S970 for about an hour, it an S-950 on steroids.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online