SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#410530 - 10/30/15 10:44 PM Re: Issues doing a solo gig. [Re: guitpic1]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
I play a private dining club 4 times a week at a rate of $75 each for two hours per night. Sometimes it will extend into a third hour, based on the number of patrons. Music is primarily instrumental, since the room is quiet and the conversation is low. No drunks. They want the music to be seen and heard, but not intrusive. Live about 3 minutes away, with little traffic and free parking right by the elevator. Occasionally get tips. Got a $100 tip recently for doing one Glen Campbell song.

#410542 - 10/31/15 07:34 AM Re: Issues doing a solo gig. [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Boo, part of the problem you are experiencing is you are waiting for them to call YOU! While you're sitting at home waiting for the telephone to ring, someone else is out there beating the streets and getting the jobs. How do you apply for a job by waiting for the person that does the hiring to call YOU? It doesn't work that way. Do you really think that if Frank Sinatra were to come to Colorado to do a stage show that he would take less money than he would take in LA? How many post cards, fliers, calendars, pens, etc... did you send or deliver to the ADs this past year? C'mon, this is a business and you have to treat it as such.

There's a 12 piece band that is out of Baltimore, Zim Zimmerel Orchestra, that gets $2,000 for each appearance. They're booked solid and don't use agents. However, they do a lot of legwork, I see their PR/salesman all the time, while he's out there pounding the pavement seeking out new venues. They have performed at the white house on several occasions, and guess what, they also do special events at nursing homes and assisted living center. They get the same fee at all locations.

Granted, there are some locations in the nation that don't have big budgets for musical entertainment. But, they DO have a budget, and those that do the work to get in the door early will get the lion's share of the budget. Those that do not do the legwork, those that sit around and wait for the phone to ring, will get little or none of that budget. I was the first person in this are to book jobs a year in advance with the ADs. They had never done this before, some didn't even have next year's calendar, and they were elated when I handed them an appointment wall calendar and pen, both of which had my name and telephone number imprinted upon them. Armed with the calendar and pen, there was no reason not to book ME a year in advance.

Now, you could be the best jazz musician on the planet, but if you're not a good entertainer you will not get repeat business. You have to, as DNJ always says, "have the goods." You need to provide the entire package. You have to provide a vast array of music, plus top quality vocals, and it has to be seamless entertainment with little or no dead time between songs. You need to look like an entertainer, dress appropriately and act appropriately by schmoozing with the residents, staff and ADs alike. I have two dozen satin shirts, matching ties, and beautiful silk vests that are just for performances. I get lots of great comments from ADs and residents alike about my attire. If you both look and act professional and provide what the audience wants to hear, you can command top pay in the field.

Back to business. I also provide all my clients, both private and commercial, with a professional invoice. I also provide them with a W-9 form that is signed and dated. For every new client, I provide them with a contract, and after booking the job(s) I mail them a confirmation of appearance letter. This is a business and handshake deals just don't cut it. Do you think Captain Russ conducts his business with just a handshake when he makes a commercial?

Get off your ass and go to work promoting this as a business venture - it's a tried and true technique that every successful business utilizes.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#410543 - 10/31/15 07:45 AM Re: Issues doing a solo gig. [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Boo, part of the problem you are experiencing is you are waiting for them to call YOU! While you're sitting at home waiting for the telephone to ring, someone else is out there beating the streets and getting the jobs. How do you apply for a job by waiting for the person that does the hiring to call YOU? It doesn't work that way. Do you really think that if Frank Sinatra were to come to Colorado to do a stage show that he would take less money than he would take in LA? How many post cards, fliers, calendars, pens, etc... did you send or deliver to the ADs this past year? C'mon, this is a business and you have to treat it as such.

There's a 12 piece band that is out of Baltimore, Zim Zimmerel Orchestra, that gets $2,000 for each appearance. They're booked solid and don't use agents. However, they do a lot of legwork, I see their PR/salesman all the time, while he's out there pounding the pavement seeking out new venues. They have performed at the white house on several occasions, and guess what, they also do special events at nursing homes and assisted living center. They get the same fee at all locations.

Granted, there are some locations in the nation that don't have big budgets for musical entertainment. But, they DO have a budget, and those that do the work to get in the door early will get the lion's share of the budget. Those that do not do the legwork, those that sit around and wait for the phone to ring, will get little or none of that budget. I was the first person in this are to book jobs a year in advance with the ADs. They had never done this before, some didn't even have next year's calendar, and they were elated when I handed them an appointment wall calendar and pen, both of which had my name and telephone number imprinted upon them. Armed with the calendar and pen, there was no reason not to book ME a year in advance.

Now, you could be the best jazz musician on the planet, but if you're not a good entertainer you will not get repeat business. You have to, as DNJ always says, "have the goods." You need to provide the entire package. You have to provide a vast array of music, plus top quality vocals, and it has to be seamless entertainment with little or no dead time between songs. You need to look like an entertainer, dress appropriately and act appropriately by schmoozing with the residents, staff and ADs alike. I have two dozen satin shirts, matching ties, and beautiful silk vests that are just for performances. I get lots of great comments from ADs and residents alike about my attire. If you both look and act professional and provide what the audience wants to hear, you can command top pay in the field.

Back to business. I also provide all my clients, both private and commercial, with a professional invoice. I also provide them with a W-9 form that is signed and dated. For every new client, I provide them with a contract, and after booking the job(s) I mail them a confirmation of appearance letter. This is a business and handshake deals just don't cut it. Do you think Captain Russ conducts his business with just a handshake when he makes a commercial?

Get off your ass and go to work promoting this as a business venture - it's a tried and true technique that every successful business utilizes.

Gary cool

clap wink keys cool2

Edited by Dnj (10/31/15 07:45 AM)

#410546 - 10/31/15 07:55 AM Re: Issues doing a solo gig. [Re: Dnj]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Gary, I always appreciate your insights as I know you built yourself a successful business.

It's true, no matter what business venture....

It's hussle...hussle...that is if you want to be successful.

I do think Boo has a point, to a certain extent. I can get more money doing the same thing if I'm willing to travel an extra 100 miles round trip. I won't do that for a $50 gig, but if I'm offered double that, I will.

smile

Edited by guitpic1 (10/31/15 08:04 AM)

#410547 - 10/31/15 07:59 AM Re: Issues doing a solo gig. [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

The music business is like restaurant,....if the food is great every time you go there everyone talks about it and keeps comeing back for more & tells their friends to also,.....

But,....if the food stinks?.. I guess you know the answer.. wink

#410548 - 10/31/15 08:07 AM Re: Issues doing a solo gig. [Re: Dnj]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Originally Posted By: Dnj
The music business is like restaurant,....if the food is great every time you go there everyone talks about it and keeps comeing back for more & tells their friends to also,.....

But,....if the food stinks?.. I guess you know the answer.. wink

I found this to be true. I gave deals to folks at first, just to get in the door. But from that, I've developed repeat business at better prices.

It's also true that repeat business is the way to make $$$. I think anyway.

#410549 - 10/31/15 08:33 AM Re: Issues doing a solo gig. [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have very rarely been successful by booking a place cheap. I did this some before I figured it out. You book a job for $50., then that is your price. Can't say as I've ever booked a job at half price, or auditioned for free and got hired at a higher price. Maybe I'm not good enough, but it just usually doesn't happen, at least in night clubs.
I'm glad I've been lucky enough to have reached a point where I don't have to go out and hustle jobs, because that's the part I've always hated the worst.
As a matter of fact, a few years ago, I just arbitrarily doubled my price for private parties (at least for first-time clients), thinking I probably would get a lot fewer, but come out about the same. Wrong, if anything my number of private parties increased. Perceived value maybe? I don't know, but it sure had a positive effect rather than what I expected. Maybe I wasn't charging enough in the first place? . . . It helps that I get a lot of exposure to more affluent clientele in the venue where I perform regularly.

#410551 - 10/31/15 08:43 AM Re: Issues doing a solo gig. [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

also if your popular, & good enough & when people follow you around to gigs it pretty much pays your own salary wherever it may be due to the extra people,..and clients running the party love that as everyone makes $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Edited by Dnj (10/31/15 08:46 AM)

#410579 - 10/31/15 02:33 PM Re: Issues doing a solo gig. [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Gary, it is the responsibility of the venue to give appropriate taxable income reporting files to independent contractors.

It is part of the invoice payment/tracking system. The IRS gets a copy at the end of the year of the 1099 detailing all the payments to independent contractors.

Why give anyone a W-9?

Russ

#410581 - 10/31/15 03:20 PM Re: Issues doing a solo gig. [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
W-9s (Request for Taxpayer Number and Certification) is required to be provided, Russ. The person who hires you for the job provides you with a 1099 form, which is required if the total is more than $600 during the taxable period. Another copy of the 1099 is sent to the IRS. Now, if you have a Federal Taxpayer EID number, that will go on the 1099 form instead of your Social Security number. If you do not have an EID number, then your SS number is entered on the form. If the amount is under $600, then the 1099 form is not required, but even when this is the case, I still claim the income. If you don't claim the income, you will find it hard to claim the legal deductions on your schedule "C".

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online