SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#409658 - 10/15/15 07:51 PM All the Mega Voices in the PSR-S970
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Another detailed demo by Unicorn Music. This time, each and every Mega voice is featured. Unicorn Music produces useful demos for comparative purposes. I've posted other S970 demos by them. Just look at some of my previous posts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKrwD0GD8io

#409666 - 10/16/15 06:13 AM Re: All the Mega Voices in the PSR-S970 [Re: Mikem]
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada
The Yamaha Mega Voice technology is very nice and provides more realism to your style voices. Not very easy to program your own Mega Voice within a style because of complex velocity levels and note ranges programmed into the voice.

I noticed when I upgraded from my Tyros 4 to Tyros 5, Yamaha placed all the Mega voices into one folder, just as it appears they did with the S970. The advantage here is when you want to replace a Mega voice within a style with another, they are easier to find. The odd Mega voice sometimes isn't compatible with another because of slight programming differences and nuances, but for the most part they can interchange.

Yamaha Premium styles are one of the best in the industry. Sometimes I will purchase a good style for just the Mega voice or SA voice part, because extremely difficult to program your own Mega voices within a style. These ultra-real style channels ( especially the guitar parts ) can easily be reworked or reassembled into other style parts to also give that style the extra realism or polish. I assume that the S970 has Style Creator.

With the introduction of Real Distortion and other new DSP effects on the S970, this opens up the realism to yet another level in your solo voice playing or within a style voice. The S970 is a very nice board, great value and you get a good selection of Mega voices.

Mikem, I view and enjoy all your video uploads. Thanks

Marcus

#409674 - 10/16/15 07:34 AM Re: All the Mega Voices in the PSR-S970 [Re: Marcus]
Mikem Offline

Originally Posted By: Marcus
The Yamaha Mega Voice technology is very nice and provides more realism to your style voices. Not very easy to program your own Mega Voice within a style because of complex velocity levels and note ranges programmed into the voice.

I noticed when I upgraded from my Tyros 4 to Tyros 5, Yamaha placed all the Mega voices into one folder, just as it appears they did with the S970. The advantage here is when you want to replace a Mega voice within a style with another, they are easier to find. The odd Mega voice sometimes isn't compatible with another because of slight programming differences and nuances, but for the most part they can interchange.

Yamaha Premium styles are one of the best in the industry. Sometimes I will purchase a good style for just the Mega voice or SA voice part, because extremely difficult to program your own Mega voices within a style. These ultra-real style channels ( especially the guitar parts ) can easily be reworked or reassembled into other style parts to also give that style the extra realism or polish. I assume that the S970 has Style Creator.

With the introduction of Real Distortion and other new DSP effects on the S970, this opens up the realism to yet another level in your solo voice playing or within a style voice. The S970 is a very nice board, great value and you get a good selection of Mega voices.

Mikem, I view and enjoy all your video uploads. Thanks

Marcus

Thank you for explaining this. It's good to know.

The way you speak of the PSR-S970 makes me want to get one right now!

Glad to know that you enjoy the videos I post. smile

#409680 - 10/16/15 08:13 AM Re: All the Mega Voices in the PSR-S970 [Re: Mikem]
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada
With the Canadian dollar doing so poorly against the U.S. dollar, TOTL arrangers like the Tyros 5 and the new Korg PA4X are priced at record highs. I got a good price on my Tyros 5 when the dollar was at par a couple of years ago.

A mid-range arranger make for a good alternative, especially value for the money for the features you get. I find some of the smaller independent music stores are willing to bring the price down a bit, while some of the chain stores have their prices locked in.

Forget about shipping a keyboard from the States, with shipping, exchange, taxes and duty added to the price. If you are looking to purchase an arranger in Canada, check out Kijiji classifieds. Saw some great deals, but takes a while for something more local to show up. Advantage here is, the seller usually only gently used the keyboard in their home and you skip the taxes while working out a great price.

Marcus

#409684 - 10/16/15 09:02 AM Re: All the Mega Voices in the PSR-S970 [Re: Marcus]
Mikem Offline

Originally Posted By: Marcus
With the Canadian dollar doing so poorly against the U.S. dollar, TOTL arrangers like the Tyros 5 and the new Korg PA4X are priced at record highs. I got a good price on my Tyros 5 when the dollar was at par a couple of years ago.

A mid-range arranger make for a good alternative, especially value for the money for the features you get. I find some of the smaller independent music stores are willing to bring the price down a bit, while some of the chain stores have their prices locked in.

Forget about shipping a keyboard from the States, with shipping, exchange, taxes and duty added to the price. If you are looking to purchase an arranger in Canada, check out Kijiji classifieds. Saw some great deals, but takes a while for something more local to show up. Advantage here is, the seller usually only gently used the keyboard in their home and you skip the taxes while working out a great price.

Marcus

I live in Laval, Quebec, minutes north of Montreal, where I was born and raised. Keyboard prices here for the Tyros 5/61 were $5,300 or more the last time I checked, and $5,700 or more for the 76 key version.

I find these prices prohibitive, that's why I'm looking at the PSR-S970, or the Korg Pa4X, if I sell my Motif XF, which I'd rather not do.

If I were rich, I'd keep my Motif, buy a Tyros 5 (as the arranger), a Kurzweil PC3k or PC3A (for its orcheastral sounds)
and maybe an Integra-7 module (for its SuperNatural acoustic sounds and SRX boards - orchestral sounds). Then, at least musically, I'd be happy! smile

I was considering buying online for the first time (Audiworks or Sweetwater) for their better prices, but if you say it's not worth it, maybe I'll buy local again. I know someone who is the manager at Long and McQuade. He used to be the owner at ItalMelodie in Montreal where I bought all three of my previous keyboards, including the Motif XF. Maybe, he'll give me a good deal.

As far as buying used is concerned, I'd rather not. I've checked Kijiji before, and, like you say, it's very rare to find what you're looking for.

Now, I'm just waiting to see when I can dish out some cash, without it disturbing my wife's feathers too much. wink

Thanks for your help, Marcus!

Edited by Mikem (10/16/15 09:05 AM)

#420506 - 04/26/16 01:52 PM Re: All the Mega Voices in the PSR-S970 [Re: Mikem]
mc2pereira Offline

Loc: Campo Grande, MS, BRASIL
Is it possible to use the Megavoice of tyros5 in the S970?

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online