SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#409295 - 10/06/15 01:33 PM PIANO
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

As no one replied when I posted it in another thread I thought I simply start one myself.
It is not so much my piano playing that I would like you to contemplate ( I only started learning how to play the darn thing properly last March) but I would be curious to learn your assessment of the piano sound that you hear on this improvisation of mine and whether you can nail the instrument being used for this recording smile smile

https://app.box.com/s/22o467suy4gkmk1enl6a6mha3sc0d2w9

regards,
John

#409296 - 10/06/15 01:44 PM Re: PIANO [Re: john smies]
rosetree
Unregistered

To me the sample itself sounds quite authentic, more realistic than e.g. the Full Grand of the Motif XS. At the same time however, I have the impression that the decay doesn't have a long sample, but is looped relatively quickly. It doesn't seem to have resonance or damper samples either.
I could be totally remote, but I wouldn't exclude the possibility that it's an old Kurzweil Micro Piano.

Edited by rosetree (10/06/15 01:45 PM)

#409312 - 10/07/15 07:39 AM Re: PIANO [Re: john smies]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: john smies

As no one replied when I posted it in another thread I thought I simply start one myself.
It is not so much my piano playing that I would like you to contemplate ( I only started learning how to play the darn thing properly last March) but I would be curious to learn your assessment of the piano sound that you hear on this improvisation of mine and whether you can nail the instrument being used for this recording smile smile

https://app.box.com/s/22o467suy4gkmk1enl6a6mha3sc0d2w9

regards,
John

Well, the discussion on that other thread was mostly about the keybed feeling, and not so much about the sound..

Its allways hard to guess where a DP accoustic piano comes from... because first they sample and accoustic piano, and then there is effects like EQ and such...

Sounds to me like a well aged Yamaha CP like the CP300, or maybe even a P105, Yamaha uses their samples on quite some instruments..

Edited by Bachus (10/07/15 07:54 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#409330 - 10/08/15 01:28 AM Re: PIANO [Re: Bachus]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

You are both pretty close though the stage piano used here is the YAMAHA P80, which was manufactured in 2000/2001. It was a budget stage piano retailing at approx. 600 euros at the time.
It has a full 88 graded hammer action keybed and plays like a dream. It has two line outs and two headphones out. Most amazing of all is that this piano which also includes a number of other sounds a.o. a lovely DX/whithey houston electr. piano sound, has a total ROM sample memory of 11Mb. (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Personally I find that astounding. In all fairness I should add that I made the recording that you can listen to by putting two mikes in front of the Creative T10 speaker set that I normally use with this piano. by contrast, recording the sound via the line out straight into the mixing console it sounds considerably less................
Anyway, seeing we are discussing the merits and drawbacks of multi Gigabyte keyboards like the current discussions on PA4X versus T5, etc. I thought 11Mb would be "refreshing " to even contemplate smile smile smile

regards
John

#409332 - 10/08/15 04:57 AM Re: PIANO [Re: john smies]
rosetree
Unregistered

Yes, I'm not surprised, I thought it has to be a rather old instrument that focuses on piano sound, so that the resulting sound is realistic enough.
11 MB for a dedicated digital piano was really little even for the year 2000. Roland released its SRX 02 Concert Grand expansion in 2000, it has 64 MB in 16 bit format or 32 MB physically. I still consider it one of the best Roland pianos, if you like its direct and warm, but not brilliant sound.
But your example shows what I recently said about the Kronos versus M3 Xpanded piano: the first megabytes already contain the most essential components of the characteristic sound. 11 MB is insufficient nowadays, but Everything beyond 100 MB only adds details you only detect when listening very closely or playing specifially like holding the decay a long time.

Edited by rosetree (10/08/15 05:10 AM)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online