SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#40911 - 05/02/02 01:50 PM Me is here!
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
BEBOP and Everybody Else,

Me is here. Me knows where me is. Just so everybody else knows where me is, I'm here. So after I have settled that little bit of mystery, where me is, where is youse guys? Don’t tell me, let me guess. I’ll bet your reading at this very minute where I am. Your right, I’m here.

Now that we have found out where we are, here are a few thoughts on the subject at hand. One answer comes after giving the subject some very deep thought. As you can tell from my opening paragraph, I am a very, very deep thinker. Ruthie, my wife of 52+ years, has another comment to add about my very large wonderful brain. I don’t think you all would be interested in her evaluation. I’m not, so let’s drop the subject. After all she should have dealt with that part of me before she married me. Anyway to show you how brilliant I am, I will agree with Alex. That proves how much I got upstairs. The only difference between the both of us is age. It must be that his brain works much faster than mine. If I had a little more time I’m sure I would have come up with the same conclusion. Quote: “There is a would of difference between quality and quantity. What’s such a big deal about the number of posts. Anybody can post rubbish”.

Maybe not the part about the rubbish. It’s possible the old saying might have some merit. “One mans’ junk is another mans’ treasure”. The part about quality and quantity is a very astute observation. The general arranger keyboard forum postings have a lot to say about quality. A great many of the postings deal with complaining about quality. Such as - The keys are cheapo. The buttons push through the case and wont come back up. The thing seems like a toy. Upgrade after upgrade and still isn’t right. This feature is great and that feature stinks. On and on. Yes there are many good comments about the equipment but just as many negative ones. The justification always comes down to: Not too bad considering what I paid for it.

In contrast, the technics forum don’t talk much about poor quality, lack of features and so forth. Rather, how do I use all the features. I have had all the boards from the 1000 to the 6500. I gave most of them to my children and grandchildren. They all work fine to this day. The only one that had some OS problems was the 6000. They were of little consequence. I suppose you think old Gramps must be very generous giving away all his old boards to the kids. Not so! I’ll tell you how slick the old man’s brain works. When we go to visit them, Grandma, (my first wife), takes care of the talking and diaper changing while me, (her first man), takes on the duty of enjoying himself on the old KN in the other room away from all the crying and such. Talk about brains!!! I wasn’t born yesterday. Back to quality. Quality in construction, quality of rhythm patterns and sampling of voices sure eliminates a lot of postings about rubbish.

Another brilliant observation my super brain has been exorcised with is - “Inclusion”.
Inclusion you say? What is that old windbag talking about now? Here it is. Not only one inclusion but two. The Technics arranger keyboard forum? Just KN’s? Did you ever think the PR’s are nothing more than a KN in a beautiful wood enclosure with more black and whites and built in pedals. A heavy duty speaker system to make the wife complain about the noise and to make it too heavy to take to the job. (In pro lingo - A Gig). An arranger keyboard hobbled with and old fashioned name. (Piano) I also have a PR900 and have discussions with other PR owners. Why not include and welcome the PR’s in this forum? Also often these conversations are carried on over the E-Mail. Why not include these on this forum where everybody could benefit. Here is some bandy I had with a PR owner the other day.

Hi Doug,
>
> Greeting from the West Midlands in the UK.
>
> I read your post on Technote's site. I am a friend of Carol's and
> have already received her instructions for recording to cd. She is
> a wonderful person who thrives on helping others.
>
> I have the latest PR 903 and think it's a wonderful instrument. I
> just wish I could play it a little better. I do enjoy messing
> around with the technical "bits" and miss the faciltity of having
> a hard drive which I have with my KN3000.
>
> I would be most grateful if you would send me your files.....they
> should play on the 903 without any trouble.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Shirley.
>
Hi Shirley,

Let me tell you that the 903 is one cool hunk of piano. Both in appearance and sound. It's got most all of the new KN's gut's in it. I thought of selling my 900 and get the 903. After thinking about it I think I will Midi my KN6500 into the 900 after the new KN7000 comes out this fall. This will in essence upgrade the piano. There is only one minor hurdle to jump over however. I must first convince Ruthie. Ruthie of course is my first wife. Some how or other she cannot see the beauty of the keyboard sitting on top of the piano. I try to explain to her the beauty of this silver plastic keyboard highlighting the polished shiny cherry wood finish of the piano. I point out the combo would take on the possible appearance of an organ with two keyboards, so to speak. Must be her age and all, seems her imagination may be getting a little dull. Oh well, I got all summer to work on the old girl.

Always keep in mind, if you practice a little every day, tomorrow you will sound a little better than today. When you get in a rut, play the same song but spice it up with a little more expression. Always more than one way to skin a cat. I know some guys that can't play well but the gusto they put behind it will turn you on and make your foot tap the floor.

Yes Carol is something else! Her writing style is fun, her thoughts are refreshing, her helpfulness makes one blessed to know her. Like finding a treasure in a sea of words.

Well here goes. From the corn and bean fields of northern Illinois to the West Midlands of the UK I'm zipping over some Christmas files. Why Christmas files you ask? Namely because they are the only ones I can find at the moment. Besides, spring is almost over, summer is short and Christmas is followed by fall. See, it all depends how one looks at things. Not only that, but if I sent them over at Christmas time you would not have enough time to practice them. Sooooo--- Just another thought. If you play Xmas music on a hot summer day there is a cooling effect, sort of a byproduct.

Farewell and happy listening,

Grandpa Doug

Playing music is happiness. Spread a little happiness on the forum and around the world not only with your music and technical prowess, but with encouragement and a smile in your words. As us farmers say, “You reap what you sow” Years ago when I started my business they would call us bush farmers. As the years rolled on I have been promoted to Nurseryman. No more money but a more classy title. So the moral of the story is. Sow a little help and you will get a bunch of help. Sow a few words and you will receive many more words. Sow a smile and the world will smile with you. Sow a little practice and you will get many beautiful songs.

Like they would say at the end of my favorite Road Runner cartoon. “THAT'S ALL FOLKS”

Grandpa Doug

#40912 - 05/02/02 03:50 PM Re: Me is here!
technicsplayer Offline

nothing wrong with your brain, Doug

#40913 - 05/02/02 05:01 PM Re: Me is here!
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Hey Doug,
I love your posts and especially thank you for this one. It like all the others is great.
Note that this is the Technic's Forum and is here for all Technic's owner/players of all keyboards. Pass the word and invite your contacts to join us. We can surely all learn from each other
Best to you from,
BEBOP

#40914 - 05/02/02 07:56 PM Re: Me is here!
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
You're giving me ideas, Doug, with this:

"They were of little consequence. I suppose you think old Gramps must be very generous giving away all his old boards to the kids. Not so! I’ll tell you how slick the old man’s brain works. When we go to visit them, Grandma, (my first wife), takes care of the talking and diaper changing while me, (her first man), takes on the duty of enjoying himself on the old KN in the other room away from all the crying and such. Talk about brains!!! I wasn’t born yesterday."

I've just become a Grandpa for the first time (last Sunday morning 4:54am). My daughter-in-law used to play the piano quite well in times gone by, but she doesn't currently have a piano, so I'm trying to convince her to go one better (IMO) and get a keyboard, or perhaps a PR903 if she really wants the piano keyboard range. On the other side of the family, my daughter (who is expecting in August) already has a keyboard, but it is a cheaper Yamaha. Still, all the more time I'll need to master it!

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Daniell (edited 05-02-2002).]

#40915 - 05/02/02 08:40 PM Re: Me is here!
Sissle Offline

Loc: USA - South Dakota
Hi Grandpa Doug and Shirley,
Thank you for the kind words on my training package for burning CD's and the compliments on my writing style. You embarrass me with your flattery! Writing that training package wouldn't have been possible if it weren't for all the help I received from Shirley, Alec, Gunnar and other people on this forum. They had the patience to stick with me and teach this "old lady" new tricks until they finally beat it through my head. I wrote it up as a reference for myself and my piano teacher, but would gladly shre it with anyone who wants it. It is very software specific (Cakewalk Pro Audio, Adaptec CD Creator 4), but gives a good basic understanding of the whole process. Just email me if you are interested. Thanks again for the kind words, you people on this Forum are the best!
Carol

#40916 - 05/03/02 08:40 AM Re: Me is here!
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
Grandpa Doug:
Keep those words and phases streaming. I don't care if it's quality or quantity, I enjoy reading 'em. Is "quality" only the heavy stuff? A little fluff now and then lightens things up.
Larry

#40917 - 05/03/02 08:48 AM Re: Me is here!
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Mike,

Congrats on becoming a Grandpa. The first time becoming a Grandpa seems to be a time of rejoicing. A time of extreme happiness. Yes, even a time for throwing parties. Kind of brings back memories of one’s first child. Yes, holding that little bundle in your arms and making all sorts of funny and/or contorted faces. I can almost hear the ridiculous Goo’s and Coo’s coming out of the mouth of a fully grown normally mature man. Not even mentioning the somewhat strange actions. A big index finger trying to fit under a very miniature chin moving back and forth chanting Gootchy Gootchy Goo. Well, it’s a good thing you told me you have become a Grandpa. As a Grandpa of seventeen grand kids it pains me that you didn’t reveal this sooner. I would had advised you to start practicing lullabies on your keyboard. Very important when the daughter asks you to baby-sit. I would suggest you start without delay nailing down some of these tunes. Very helpful when the kid wont go to sleep, fills the air with screams and keeps crapping in the diapers. Also brush up on the art of changing them. Speed is of the utmost importance. Especially if the kid is a boy. Us farmers here in the US have a formula for spraying our crops. Gallons = pressure x nozzle size. Get the idea? Some of these kids got a lot of pressure. Very nice that your expecting daughter already has a keyboard. Can’t play lullabies unless you got all the tools. Good thinking about talking your daughter in law into a keyboard or piano. After she has a kid it will be too late. If you have any trouble playing lullabies we have a lot of players here on the forum that I’m sure will send you some sequences to plug into the board. Very handy to slide a disk in while changing the kid. Kind of like Nero playing the fiddle while Rome burned. Kept him from getting too excited about a nasty situation.

If you need any more advice don’t hesitate to tap in on my vast knowledge of the subject.

Praying the kid will be healthy, happy and good looking like Gramps.

All the best,

Grandpa Doug

#40918 - 05/06/02 07:53 PM Re: Me is here!
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Thanks for the advice, Doug. I've been away from the forum for a few days so have only just caught up. Your comments about changing diapers (we call them 'nappies' in Oz) only stirs me to spend more time at the keyboard and let someone else do the changing. Playing lullabies should be a good excuse - er - reason.

Regards,
Mike

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online