SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#40821 - 03/14/05 02:27 PM SD Card Failure
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi All,

I have encountered what appears to be a complete failure of a 256M SD card. Last week when inserted in my friend's KN7000 the message "Error 82! There is no SD in the SD drive" was displayed. When installed in my KN7000 everything appeared OK. Yesterday the error message appeared on my KN. At first my desktop would still read the card so I restored it from the backup file and it was OK again but only briefly. Reformatting, restoring and cleaning the card contacts temporarily cured the problem again but now it is not recognised in the KN, my digital camera (also SD) or any of my 3 computers (each has its own card reader). I have restored the data to another card (different brand) and am not experiencing any problems. With the current low cost of cards it is little more than an annoyance but it does highlight the need to regularly backup cards. The problem card is branded EagleTec and is not more than 15 months old. This may be just an isolated case. I have a total of 6 cards from other manufacturers none of which have caused me problems at this stage.

Cheers
Len C.

[This message has been edited by manorcourt1991 (edited 03-14-2005).]

#40822 - 03/15/05 04:51 AM Re: SD Card Failure
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
A timely warning Len I back up my cards at least once a month to PC hard drive and also every three months or so to CD-R/W. Maybe I'm a touch paranoid but I would hate to lose all the work I have done over several years....

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#40823 - 03/15/05 05:43 AM Re: SD Card Failure
Walter McLaren Offline

Loc: Borders. Scotland
Hi Bill, for paranoid, read, sensible!!! Regards. Walter.

#40824 - 03/15/05 08:51 AM Re: SD Card Failure
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Talk about scaring me into action, Bill and Len...me computer's still busy this afternoon uploading and downloading everything...phew...great reminder fellas.!
Rog

#40825 - 03/15/05 04:40 PM Re: SD Card Failure
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hi All,

This happened to me recently with a nearly full 256mb card. I had only had this card approx. 2 weeks and had used it twice. I tried all the usual channels to get it to work and then I noticed that the 'gold' data part was very badly scratched. As all the other SDs I have worked in the KN o.k. I assumed it was a faulty card and took it back to the retailer who confirmed that it was and replaced it immediately. Thank goodness, I had backed it up and using Fred's KN SD Explorer Tool, it was so easy to 'restore' to the new card and so far it is working well. (Hope I'm not speaking too soon!)

Some few months ago, I somehow lost all info stored on a 128mb card and to this day, I don't know how I did this. Maybe I accident-ally formatted it, switched the KN off too soon or maybe the KN misbehaved but it is strange that both were Panasonic cards. Is this a mere coincidence, or is there a problem with this make of card I wonder? Other makes I use appear to be working as they should.

Aud (U.K.)

#40826 - 03/16/05 11:19 AM Re: SD Card Failure
fmlk4u Offline

Loc: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Hi All,

First a remark: looking on the internet I notice that many SD Card vendors give 5 years to even 10 years of Warranty. That means they must be confident about quality and stability. So I assume that errors, might in many cases have to do because the SD Card was plugged out durring an activity like copy or paste. I recommend to always use the "Safely remove USB" like you do with USB Stick. When our KN-SDExplorer is open and the SD Card is taken out of the reader, the tool is closed, to avoid corruption!

Apart from this remark I also have a question: How can I backup an SD card with also SD-Audio (Mp3's) on it?

Regards, Fred (http://fred.kn7000.net)

#40827 - 03/18/05 11:46 AM Re: SD Card Failure
Bazz Woods Offline

Loc: British Isles
Fred,

If you use Jukebox the MP3,s will still be on your hard drive untill you delete them.
I frequently checkin and out different mP3,s
depending what I need .
Hope this helps .

Cheers Barry

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online