SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#407443 - 08/29/15 04:20 AM Touch screens and arrangers
Bachus Offline

The Question is simple touchscreens, yes or no?

With all brands except Yamaha having adapted to touch screens on one or more models of their arrangers, and even Casio updating their under $1000 piano range with a very nice touchscreen interface. Do you think a touchscreen interface is a win for arrangers?

So would you prefer the touchscreen interface to replace many of the current buttons. cleaning up the surface of the arranger? Or would you like to see the touchscreen only being used for advanced feature, that you dont use all the time, and where there is no more room for buttons on the arranger?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#407444 - 08/29/15 04:50 AM Re: Touch screens and arrangers [Re: Bachus]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
From the way in which your post is written, I assume you are in favor of touch screens.

To me, it is not that big a deal. In favor of buttons, I like the fact that they are tactile(sp?),
And In the same location on the keyboard each time.

I use touch screens a lot...iPad, iPhone etc. As I wrote this on my iPad, I had to use extra care not to touch wrong keys etc, as there is no reference point. So I don't find touch screens all that easy either.

That said, I could live with either. I certainly wouldn't change keyboards just to get one with a touch screen.

It will be interesting to see what others say.

Interesting thread.

#407445 - 08/29/15 06:19 AM Re: Touch screens and arrangers [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

I can take touch or leave them just give me a BIGGGER DISPLAY.......
buttons and sliders are just as good as touch & in some cases even more so.

#407446 - 08/29/15 06:49 AM Re: Touch screens and arrangers [Re: Bachus]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Touch Screen, as it is natural for any animal (Humans are part of the animal kingdom) to touch what they see, and not look elsewhere to get what they want.

There is also no reason why you can’t have buttons and a touch screen in tandem, so that you can make your own choice. (The Tyros is a good point here, as adding touch to the screen would not mean having to remove the buttons)

Bill

#407447 - 08/29/15 07:07 AM Re: Touch screens and arrangers [Re: abacus]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: abacus
Touch Screen, as it is natural for any animal (Humans are part of the animal kingdom) to touch what they see, and not look elsewhere to get what they want.

There is also no reason why you can’t have buttons and a touch screen in tandem, so that you can make your own choice. (The Tyros is a good point here, as adding touch to the screen would not mean having to remove the buttons)

Bill

I am with you bill.... I am all for a good combination of buttons and touchscreen... And to give Dony a thumbs up, while sliders seem to work okay on a touchscreen, i prefer the real thing, while knobs dont work on a touchscreen at all.. Just give me real knobs..

The knobs we use all the time, need to be on exactly the same position for easy reference, they also need to be tactile, so when playing live you can find them blindly.

Originally Posted By: guitpic1

I use touch screens a lot...iPad, iPhone etc. As I wrote this on my iPad, I had to use extra care not to touch wrong keys etc, as there is no reference point. So I don't find touch screens all that easy either.

And now try this typing on an aranger witouth touchscreen? Now this is one of the strong points from touchscreens, because tehre is no room for a qwerty keyboard on our arrangers having this on a touchscreen is a godsgift..

And this goes for all those controll and eddit tools you want aboard but there is no room for on the surface of the keyboard/arranger.. Also touch screens are great for making things visuall..

Another good example is when you are playing a drawbar organ, you could have the organ drawbars on the real sliders while still having a touchscreen for accessing the volumes of the different style parts(mixer) and more like thos things..

Also when edditing things, its great to have a pianoroll with touchcontroll while edditing a track instead of a page with numbers

And with current touchscreen prices, its a nobrainer for most developers, you can buy inustrial (thats just the screen witouth box ) 12" full HD touchscreens for far under a hundred dollars with a quallity that you dont need to lift the screen anymore to have good sight on it.

#407450 - 08/29/15 01:57 PM Re: Touch screens and arrangers [Re: Bachus]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

Larger touchscreens seem to be what most want. I find that a touchscreen that has good size icons work just as well.
The Ketron SD 7 has a 7" touchscreen but the icons are large
and very easy to use without touching a nearby icon by error. LLoyd

#407454 - 08/29/15 04:17 PM Re: Touch screens and arrangers [Re: Bachus]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Love the touchscreen on SD7. I only regret they didn't leave buttons to select the four OTS settings when the main screen is closed, as Korg does.

#407461 - 08/29/15 10:18 PM Re: Touch screens and arrangers [Re: DonM]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Love the touchscreen on SD7. I only regret they didn't leave buttons to select the four OTS settings when the main screen is closed, as Korg does.

The interface of the SD7 looks very clean and organised with nice large icons to push..but as you indicate, there are some buttons missing, where the pa3x has all the buttons readilly available but certain things on the touchscreen get to small..

Worst touchscreen interface is currently the Kronos, where many things just are way to small and you need a stylus to work comfortable with them..

Another good touchscreen interface is the Yamaha clavinova CVP line. Its big and works like a charm. But when playing with it, one starts to miss the buttons one is used from his arrangers. Sure there are a few freely programmable buttons, yet thats not enough

King of the mountain in my opinion is the new Wersi OAX, which works like a dream, but then it comes on an Organ of €17000 and its 13" you would not expect anything less, but it indeed is a huge step up from the OAS system..

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online