SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#407285 - 08/23/15 01:52 PM OT: Need some opinions from the experts here.....
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Sorry for being off topic folks, but I need the assistance of any Zoners who might be familiar with the subject.

I'm helping my wife's grandfather clear out a bunch of stuff he collected over the years (were talking things he still has that go back to the 30's and earlier)...., A LOT OF FREAKIN STUFF TOO!

He and his father had their own TV repair business in the late 50's (and I think it went into the late 70's or possibly into the early 80's). He Still has his mobile repair cases. They are LOADED with vintage tubes that range from the 60's and I think into the 70's. They are ALL still in the boxes (NEW). There are probably several hundred of them (from companies such as Amperex, GE, Westinghouse, RCA, and Sylvania). Plus many other various electrical components in packages (various diodes, capacitors, ect). There is also a good number of very old test equipment such as signal generators, color generators, and meters of various types. He even has his fathers complete collection of Audels New Electric Library Vol. 1-10 from 1931! There are also several volumes of (his grandfather's) books called Hawkins Electrical Guide from 1917 (I think 6 of them). I'm pretty sure there are even oscilloscopes from the 60's there too.

Is there a market for this stuff? Anyone know where I should start with these items? I have no clue what the tubes go for (there are just so many of them).., plus all the other repair kits and shop equipment. Any help would greatly be appreciated. The TV items are only a small part of what he has stored away. It's unreal how much there is. The man even has Lionel train sets from the 40's and 50's (complete sets too).

Thanks
Sqk

Edited by squeak_D (08/23/15 01:58 PM)
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#407287 - 08/23/15 02:13 PM Re: OT: Need some opinions from the experts here..... [Re: squeak_D]
Dnj Offline

#407290 - 08/23/15 03:26 PM Re: OT: Need some opinions from the experts here..... [Re: squeak_D]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
As far as tubes go, this site here should help sort out prices. (Rare ones can go for quite a bit)

The rest is best to do a google search on the models, as they may be worth something or nothing, which hopefully the search will sort out.

Hope this helps

Bill

#407292 - 08/23/15 03:37 PM Re: OT: Need some opinions from the experts here..... [Re: squeak_D]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Squeak, I sold for two years on ebay old beat up glass insulators from old light poles here on the desert of Western Colorado and Eastern Utah. There were numbers etc on them. None were worth a fortune but were all different prices. Just get on ebay and search like "TV tubes model # or color description . You'll be an expert in an hour or less, maybe ha ha. I'm positive that will be the best bet. If you sell to a dealer you won't get a much for them as you would if you get to find a collector on ebay. Type TV tube collector on Google too.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online