SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#406974 - 08/16/15 02:04 PM Today marks a new era for future PSR-S950 styles..
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Today marks a new era for future PSR-S950 styles...

Read more...

Henni

#406980 - 08/16/15 04:43 PM Re: Today marks a new era for future PSR-S950 styles.. [Re: Henni]
Beakybird Offline

I don't understand even after reading. Explain.

But I'm looking forward to a new era. The last few thousand years have been depressing.

#406983 - 08/16/15 06:30 PM Re: Today marks a new era for future PSR-S950 styles.. [Re: Henni]
Henni Offline

Hi,

Never realized till now than, unlike the PSR3K, the S950 can use user voices for the different style parts. That's why it can play T4 & T5 styles. I have not yet publicly seen anyone making use of this powerful function.

Thus, in future style modifications, I am going to call upon these user voices inside styles. There are very good voices to be had for this.

Henni

#406984 - 08/16/15 06:31 PM Re: Today marks a new era for future PSR-S950 styles.. [Re: Beakybird]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Correct me if I am wrong,
But I think Henni means revoicing parts of the styles with other panel voices...?
If so, many of us are aware of it and use it on a regular basis.
Eric

#406995 - 08/16/15 08:06 PM Re: Today marks a new era for future PSR-S950 styles.. [Re: Henni]
Beakybird Offline

Thanks for clarifying. My understanding is that if a T5 style, for example, is taking advantage of a scat Megavoice that doesn't exist on the PSR-S950, that you can 1) substitute it with another Megavoice, 2) use software to get rid of the Megavoice properties and substitute another panel voice, or 3) use software to get rid of the Megavoice properties and substitute it with a USER voice, but you're never going to get that scat vocal sound that was part of the original T5 style.

I hope that your dream of making the S950 play all of the T5 styles is fulfilled and that others can partake of the fruits of your labor, but it seems like a quixotic endeavor.

#407002 - 08/16/15 10:13 PM Re: Today marks a new era for future PSR-S950 styles.. [Re: Henni]
Henni Offline

Hi,

NOT panel voices, USER voices! That's what is so great about it. I'm used to user voices, but was never allowed to put them inside styles. Well, I've tried it & it works. Even though the style part does not indicate the new voice, but only indicates a blue icon for an unknown voice, it plays it correctly.

So imagine this. Someone uses all the new guitar effects on the S970 to tweak a new guitar voice. If that voice is saved, the S950 will also play it. I know as my last two S950 guitar voice demos used a guitar voice from the S970. I just never realized these could be used inside style parts as well!

I think this is awesome & I discovered all of this by accident. I have many, many stunning user voices collected over the years. For the 1st time they are going to be put to good use & some of those are as stunning as the Yep voices.

It seems that as long as the base voice resides on the S950, it will correctly play any modified/improved version of that voice, which most of the S970 voices seem to be.

Cheers,

Henni

#407031 - 08/17/15 06:33 AM Re: Today marks a new era for future PSR-S950 styles.. [Re: Henni]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Not so special Henni. Every modern arranger can do that. Even the Casio ctk 7200. For the Korg pa 600 you can even import new samples you can use in the styles.

#407033 - 08/17/15 07:19 AM Re: Today marks a new era for future PSR-S950 styles.. [Re: FransN]
Henni Offline

So,

Maybe not so special for those, but this is very special for the Yamaha PSR950 onwards series. And I want the Yamaha instead, so for me this is super indeed.

Here's what I mean. These styles were converted to use some user voices instead of the custom Yep voices. Check them out for yourselves & compare against the original.

For the OldNewGospelH style, I was not allowed to browse in any Yamaha onboard drum kit. So I browsed in a user drum kit instead.

The possibilities are mind blowing & I really, but really am excited about all of this. Oh yes, the style itself remembers & saves the user voices, no need to keep them anywhere after the modification. This is also great news indeed!

It's almost like having mini VSTs that I can browse anywhere into a style as is, onboard the arranger itself. No extra software or hardware required to create or to play.

Cheers,

Henni

Attachments
NewEra950.zip (49 downloads)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online