SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#40689 - 08/30/05 07:42 PM Ensoniq to Technics Convert - partial solution?
Jim Helwig Offline

Loc: Sebring, Florida, USA
Note: See the previous thread "conversion issue"
I found that I may have a partial solution to the drum mapping problem. Awhile back, I sent Giebler one of my sequences (It happened to be "Brown-Eyed Girl). He sent it back to me - all parts played fine, including the drums. He said that he had remapped the drums. Since all I ever used was the same drum kit, would it possible to somehow extract the remapped kit for use in other SD-1 sequence conversions to midi? Sort of a "boilerplate" if you will. All I have is the re-worked Browneye.mid file. Next issue - if this is indeed a work-around, how do I do it?
Jim Helwig

#40690 - 08/31/05 09:45 AM Re: Ensoniq to Technics Convert - partial solution?
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Jim,
Problem; The sequence sounds terrible. Let?s solve it.

The drum track was in let?s say track 4 when you first recorded the sequence. Then you loaded into your KN7 ? sounds pretty bad.

UNDERSTANDING OF TRACKS AND INSTRUMENTS MUST COME FIRST.

This is not a real list, I am making it up as I go.
ORIGINAL INSTRUMENT;
Track #1 trumpet, Track #2 ,Track #3, sax TRACK#4 DRUMS
KN7000
Track #1 trumpet, Track #2, Flute, TRACK #3 DRUMS Track #4 piano

So your original recording placed the drums on track #4 ?when track #4 played back on your Kn it produced piano sounds in stead of drum sounds.
SOLUTION; replace the piano with the drums in track #4

Play the file on the KN7,
1-Press Mixer (Left of window)

2-Press Other Parts (small button below left bottom corner)
keep pressing until the window shows Track 1 through 16
The top of the page displays what instrument in on each track.

3-Mute each track until you find the track that sounds like it was meant to be drums. Gotta use your imagination.

4-Press the number of that track (bottom of window) ?red color will show
You are now recording on that track. You will see a light in the Sound Group, that is where the instrument that is own playing located.

5-Press DRUM KITS (In sound group) ? all the drum kits will be displayed. While the sequence is playing select different kits until you are satisfied with the sound.

6-Press and hold the center red button in Panel Memory, now press #1.

Back to Program Menus
7-Press Program Menus ?press sequence--- press record edit
8-Select CONTROL CHANNEL
Make sure the highlight mark is under #1, then press
#1 on the panel memory ?you?ll hear a sound and see a mark under #1
You have written the information you wanted in the control track #7
Which will now tell the sequence what you want it to do.
9-Save your work ----- DONE

You can use this method to replace any instrument in the sequence.
You played and recorded it ?you selected the instruments of your choice, it is now your creation.
Jim, that?s why I want you and not me to make the changes in YOUR sequence.

Did I do this right? Hmmm!

John C.

Does anyone know when ?Panel Write? should be used?

#40691 - 08/31/05 10:47 AM Re: Ensoniq to Technics Convert - partial solution?
Jim Helwig Offline

Loc: Sebring, Florida, USA
Hey John - Thanks a bunch, gonna try it, at least I'm DOING something rather than sitting twiddling my thumbs. Now if I could just solve the stupid printer issue...Gieblers program runs in a DOS window and my printer refuses to do a thing with any of the built-in "print" commands. What I really need to get are the original SD-1 sequence song titles and the track information (what the existing instrumentation is on each track). That way, when I convert them over, I'll have the existing info and can simply replace the old instrumentation with the new KN7 sounds. If I can't get it from the Giebler program, I'm looking at loading each sequence into the SD-1 then hand-copying the track instrumentation. This sounds like a job, since I have at least 80 - 100 SD-1 sequences. One way or the other, I'm going to get this done, lol.
BTW - I just loaded ALL the midi's I use for vocal back-up onto the little 8k SD card, plus at least 20 or so of my own personal sequences. It hardly used any room at all.....*slaps self on head* what have I been waiting for....this is FANTASTIC, lol.
Jim

#40692 - 08/31/05 12:35 PM Re: Ensoniq to Technics Convert - partial solution?
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I just loaded ALL the midi's I use for vocal back-up onto the little 8k SD card, plus at least 20 or so of my own personal sequences. It hardly used any room at all.....*slaps self on head* what have I been waiting for....this is FANTASTIC, lol.
Jim [/B][/QUOTe

Jim, Buy a 256MB card, trust me, John C.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online