Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#406343 - 08/04/15 01:00 PM Smile Donny, Please
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
smile wink

Hi there good people.

When I posted my first attempt at "Smile" at smile Donny wasn't to keen on the backing track and he very kindly sent me a new one, here are the two versions for your perusal.

No 1
https://app.box.com/s/9y7xzxa8cln5sz5ozidyyl3kjhukkda3

No 2
https://app.box.com/s/skfy61nt109t0sdokkd1ufmqutfkdsu6

Col

#406344 - 08/04/15 01:11 PM Re: Smile Donny, Please [Re: Saswick]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Col ...I enjoyed both ...
Were both versions backing tracks 'dedicated' to the song?

#406345 - 08/04/15 01:19 PM Re: Smile Donny, Please [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Col I'm Smiling Now baby Good job!!! clap

Edited by Dnj (08/04/15 01:19 PM)

#406346 - 08/04/15 01:29 PM Re: Smile Donny, Please [Re: Dnj]
Saswick Offline

Hi Tony, they are both dedicated backing tracks.

Col

Hi Donny, I struggled with the timing on your track not sure why but I'm not really satisfied and will probably record it again when I get time but this week is taken up with Gig's and hospital appointments.

Keep you posted

Col

#406347 - 08/04/15 01:35 PM Re: Smile Donny, Please [Re: Saswick]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Saswick
Hi Tony, they are both dedicated backing tracks.

Col

Hi Donny, I struggled with the timing on your track not sure why but I'm not really satisfied and will probably record it again when I get time but this week is taken up with Gig's and hospital appointments.

Keep you posted

Col

sounds good Col......appreciate your efforts you came in a second late make a few practice runs on the intro & you'll be fine It's something you just gotta feel... Did you ever try recording the vocals DRY first & adding FX later to the voc track as to balance the Music against the Singing. This will give you more flexibility in post editing.

Edited by Dnj (08/04/15 01:39 PM)

#406364 - 08/04/15 08:36 PM Re: Smile Donny, Please [Re: Saswick]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Hi Colin,

I was not going to reply to this post, but I listened to the audio and remembered that you really have an excellent voice to work with.

Having said that, if YOU are happy with where you are right now, then don’t read any further, ‘cause I’m not one of those who just throws up “clapping hands” and says: “Hot Diggity, Dog Diggity, that’s some voice you’ve got there.”

Some helpful suggestions, but only if you want them.

Your voice need to be “focused” more (up in the sinus area)….it‘s slightly breathy, resonate more in the whole “mask” area, you need to learn to breathe so you can support and hold notes. Most of all, you musk “work” the lyrics. The singing is good, but you’re not feeling the emotion of the song. You’re coming in on every beat, like the morning train. Phrase your words, pull back on your delivery, delay some phrases……..jump ahead of the beat in others, hang on to some of the words, etc.

What you want to do is, first, learn the lyrics by memory. Then, as you’re singing them, picture a single person (or the whole audience even) and sing directly to them. Feel every emotion that the words dictate…….let it flow from the heart.

There are many singers with good voices but no style. I’m sure I said to you before, you just need a little “touching up” with your voice, so what’s left is working on your delivery. Every successful singer has some kind of distinguishing delivery. It’s not that difficult…….it’s not about vocal technique……it’s about “expressing your emotions” through your voice the same as a keyboard player expresses through this keyboard.

Hope this helps if you read this far.

Mark smile

#406374 - 08/05/15 01:28 AM Re: Smile Donny, Please [Re: Saswick]
Saswick Offline

Hi Mark

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to listen.

Secondly, regarding your helpful suggestions, you are of course correct on all points, however going back and listening to some of my earlier recordings I can see a marked improvement but still some way to go. After many years of singing low harmony I'm afraid I adopted a very lazy way of singing and old habits in my case die hard, I only hope I will be around long enough to finish the touching up. smile

Many thanks'

Col

#406376 - 08/05/15 02:55 AM Re: Smile Donny, Please [Re: Saswick]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I think these are important things to remember for all of us(except for the few perfect ones, of course).

#406399 - 08/05/15 07:56 AM Re: Smile Donny, Please [Re: Saswick]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
That's for certain!

#406429 - 08/05/15 11:50 AM Re: Smile Donny, Please [Re: Saswick]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Colin.......I'm going to pass on a comment that was made to me many years ago. It's a bit embarrassing but if it helps.....

After many years playing in London, at my last job in one of the East End pubs, I was saying goodbye to everyone I had known for years from performing there. A woman I knew particularly well, said to me (about my singing.....she knew what everyone knew....my singing wasn't up to par): "Never give up....you must keep on trying."

Simple as that.....and I never forgot it. I forged ahead, it took me somewhere between 10-15 years before the penny dropped and I was able to finally sing as well as I played. Then again, I think I'm a little thick when it comes to learning. I don't think it will take you that long.

But.......keep on truckin'.....one day it just comes to you if you work at it diligently.

For myself, if I had YOUR voice...I would "work with it diligently."

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online